Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #1
Tracker

Need to vent

While cleaning/treating the roof of my 2014 Mountaineer 331rlt for winter storage I noticed bumps along both sides of the roof. On closer inspection I could see the shape of staples working their way up putting pressure on the underside of the rubber membrane. I made an appointment with Lazydays RV in Johnstown CO. Lazydays inspected the roof and sent a Good will repair request to Keystone. My service rep said I should contact Keystone and inform them know of the problem, I did and received a reply to keep them informed. Lazydays believes the staples were not installed correctly in the proper location during manufacturing. Their original repair plan was to peel both sides of the roof membrane up far enough to remove and replace the staples and roll the membrane back down and seal it. Keystones reply (KRV-Keystone respectfully declines any participation). Since Lazydays original inspection the technician does not believe they could roll the membrane up since it is felt backed. His experience is that the felt will tear and stick to both the membrane and the substrate and not seal properly when rolled back down. Lazydays now advises to replace the rubber membrane complete to properly seal the roof. The cost is now $6k with no help from Keystone. I contacted by email Mike Chapman with Keystone again and his reply is that the issue is not a manufacturing problem. I replied back that how can improperly installed staples not be an manufacturing issue. Waiting for a reply from Mike.
The rubber roof material has a warranty against manufacturing defects but not if staples come up from underneath. So basically if the staples had worked their up the first year Keystone may have repaired the problem. Unfortunately the staples did work their way up during the warranty period.
Sorry just needed to vent. I was hoping Keystone would stand tall and at least help repair the issue.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Seen this before, and while I am on your side as long as the membrane is intact I can see Keystone saying no. Other brands do the same thing and we routinely receive denials. I would just watch it if staples start poking through, deal with it at that time.

We have seen customers that run eternabond the entire length covering all the staples. It can buy you more years and you should be able to get a matching color.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #3
sh4al

I've had the same issue on my 2013 Alpine and was also denied by Keystone even though it was under warranty at the time. Was told that it would take a lot of force for the staple to puncture the roof membrane. I inspect it three or four times a year and so far so good after 3+ yrs. Hopefully you get good news from Mike but if not I would follow Chucksters advice.
sh4al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #4
gearhead

I've got some of them too. I called my dealer (HW Houston) and a service writer is going to call me back.
I think that was October.

If it goes bad I'll just trade it on something else. But what....
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:21 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
If it goes bad I'll just trade it on something else. But what....
Class A motorhomes have a fiberglass roof

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent