Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2019, 05:00 PM   #81
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
I'm not desperate to save a buck, but I'm also not desperate to spend one I don't need to. I also haven't complained about anything. I've been rving since I was a little fella, and not a single RV we had, I have had, or that my family members have had were running metal clamp in valve stems. I will make sure that the valve stems and wheels I am running can handle 65 psi and that the valve stems are new. On a new vehicle with tpms sensors maybe not, dunno, but with any old school type of tire I always have and always will have them replaced with the tires. All of the advice here has been noted and is appreciated.

Mitchell,

Not arguing with you or anything else. Just realize the folks you are talking to, and asking questions of, have hundreds of years of experience towing RVs if not thousands. I know you've been rving since you were a little fella but your intro and bio says you're 30 and haven't rved since the late 90s/early 2000s - born in 88 if I recall ......

Not trying to put you on the spot but you need to heed the advice of seasoned towing vets IMO. Steel stems? Why? Maybe you don't need them. Do they give you a little more edge when it comes to a stem failure from whatever the cause? Sure. More importantly to me, you need to get you a TPMS for that trailer. It's a 2005? if I recall from your posts. Installing new tires and stems is a no brainer, but, putting on a good TPMS is too IMO. If you do, you will want steel stems - might as well do it now instead of having everything removed when you do install it. If you think you want to run the TPMS on rubber stems just be forewarned that they will whip those rubber stems all over the place; including to the point they tarnish your wheels. Eventually the rubber will fatigue and crack - steel won't.

Again, everyone here wants to help and keep you out of trouble; even from things you don't know yet. JMO/YMMV I'm sure.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #82
mwemaxxowner

Yes, I'm 30. Yes, it's been about 7 or 8 years since I had a camper of my own. I have close family who has always had one of some kind even during my hiatus.

I'm not arguing with anyone, necessarily, but you must understand, and I'm sure you do, that there are always people who are paranoid and must have the absolute BEST of everything. 3 times the load rating on this, twice the necessary strength on that, etc etc etc. While traipsing through the world wide web one must sift through all that and weigh it with personal experience, budgets, other research, etc to decide what's best to do. Figure out what's good advice and what's just overkill due to paranoia and stories on the internet.

I'm not one to do something because somebody tells me "you just should". Especially when I've seen with my own eyes that other ways work just fine. Now, of someone wants to present reasons why, research, and data, that's different. But I don't think anyone can convince me that a valve stem that's listed for trailer use and up to 100 psi is not going to work for a medium size (at best) camper at 65 psi.

I don't know yet if I will try to use a tpms system on the trailer. It would be very nice, but it's also kind of expensive. I have enough devices and screens to look at in my truck as it is. When I purchase tires I will price everything out. I can't imagine any valve stem is all that expensive, but the only reason to run them seems to be that they're required with tpms sensors. I will also talk to my tire guys. I trust them, and they like for me to be safe, but don't try to sell me stuff I don't need just to make a buck.
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:50 PM   #83
sourdough
Site Team

All well and good. I was 30 once....found out a "tow vehicle" wasn't really a "tow vehicle" when the "tow vehicle" (because it had a part so it could tow) left me staring down a 400' embankment that I didn't go over. I learned that and lots more in the next 40 years or so.

No one here is trying to sell you anything or wanting you to go to "stupid" extremes because we think it's "cool", "fun" or.... We want you to be safe and happy; hopefully avoiding that "oh, crap" moment I, and so many others, have experienced.

I'll leave it at this as you seem very entrenched in your position; you are pulling a pretty large trailer; you have limited experience; you don't really want to listen to the advice of the sage owners here because you "know" better (been there/done that). I would suggest you talk to the "tire guys" you trust, and the rest of those that have very limited towing experience, and go with your gut. Not a soul here has anything vested in whether you listen to them or not - they just want to help, as I said...but, it's pointless to argue when you have your mind made up. Good luck with your choices.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:46 PM   #84
travelin texans

I'm wagering that the majority of those giving you advice here have been towing rvs at least 10 years longer than you've been alive & probably a few years longer than than your parents as well. If you do not chose to heed any of their advice that by all means is your decision, if on the other hand you would rather take the word of your tire guy that most likely has NEVER towed a rv then that's also your choice.
If I were you I would take the the VERY sound recommendations of those with the experience & skip that of the guy that wants to sell you something.
Personally I'm not as polite as Sourdough so let me say I couldn't give a tinkers damn what you do & am happy that at 30 years old you are such a know it all!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:12 AM   #85
notanlines

Mitchell, you’re probably getting the idea that we’re just a bunch of old know-it-all farts who’ve been around forever. I personally towed the RV that Pocahontas stayed in when she saved John Smith at Jamestown. But I have confidence in the opinions found here. 600hP stems are about a buck and a half. Put ‘em in, they said. You’ll be happy, they said. They are correct!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote