Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
Acaines

Shower surround

I've looked at many trailers and ALL of them have shower surrounds that are flimsy at the top. Big gaps about 1/2" from the ceiling where water can get in against the wall. My TT is no exception. Having just recaulked the tub and shower in my house, I am prepared to do the same in the TT.

I noticed that there is apparently some kind of patch like double sided tape that is supposed to hold the surround to the wall but doesn't. I have adhesive caulk that I want to somehow inject in there then I have a 1/2" poly foam noodle that can be caulked into place to seal the gap. I notice that the rest of the shower is sealed with silicon caulk... some good seals, some not so good. I would like to to hear from you all before I begin my intended repairs...
Acaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:35 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The shower surround is "loosely installed" in most trailers as a "designed in feature" (even though many owners feel an urgent need to improve on the factory installation)....

The trailer walls "bend and flex" as you tow the trailer down the road. There's a "fine line" between the shower surround being pulled from the wall and being "installed like the one at home"....

You might consider a strip of double sided adhesive foam tape to hold the top of the surround in position or you might consider a strip of aluminum molding that matches the shower door/glass wall enclosure. If you do install any type of molding, be sure to only attach it to the wall, not the shower surround, so the surround won't be ripped apart as you tow the trailer down the road.

Also remember that the bottom of the surround is not sealed to the shower base to allow for movement. Applying sealant to that joint can cause leaks rather than prevent them.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
Acaines

Excellent. Thank you.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

You can install plastic rivets on the perimeter if you feel the need.

https://mobilehomepartsstore.com/Mer...iABEgJSQfD_BwE

* Not affiliated with this company

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:45 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
You can install plastic rivets on the perimeter if you feel the need.

https://mobilehomepartsstore.com/Mer...iABEgJSQfD_BwE

* Not affiliated with this company

^^^^^Mine has these; 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom of each panel.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:50 PM   #6
Acaines

My concern is with the gap at the top of the surround. Isn't water getting in there a problem? I understand the need for flexibility and all...
Old 01-01-2019, 06:18 AM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I haven't really paid close attention, but I can't remember the water getting that high, spray or splashes.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:33 AM   #8
German Shepherd Guy

OK there is a good reason we are called "junior members." Like Acaines I too noticed the gaps on the shower and had on my list of things "to fix" before spring a bead of silicone around the shower top and bottom.

I am beginning to get a bit down on all that I seem not to know about RVs.

Thank You John, Sourdough, and Chuckster57.

When did you guys start Rving, in your twenties or teens?

Oak, the German Shepherd Guy

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:53 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
I suppose you could say I started when I borrowed my Dad's 1963 Ford pickup with the home made cab-over camper for a "graduation summer trip" after high school. Our first "real camper" was a 1968 Airstream 26' International. That was when I came back from Viet Nam for the first time. Towing it out of the dealer's lot after our PDI (back then it was called "the checkout") and the bottom of the bumper storage compartment fell off, as we dragged a 30' power cord down the highway. So, I guess you could say that "RV problems" aren't new.

During the mid 70's "heyday" I owned a RV repair business in Denver, sold it when we moved to Germany, but never stopped RVing, just put it on hold until we were "adjusted" to smaller diesel cars and Europe's "hardwall tents" that they called travel trailers.

Fifty years ago people had "issues" but the industry keeps growing...... Probably a testament to people saying , "Oh well, fix it and let's go camping" rather than people saying, "Screw this, I'm outta here."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acaines View Post
My concern is with the gap at the top of the surround. Isn't water getting in there a problem? I understand the need for flexibility and all...

I don't recall any of ours having a shower surround "sealed" down like a S&B. As for water getting behind them, that's never been an issue for us. We don't even have problems with condensation while taking a shower with the vent fan on.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #11
travelin texans

It's surprising to us at how many rvers we've talked with that DO NOT use the shower in their rv & DO NOT go #2 in the toilet & only #1 during the night, they go to the park facilities. One couple actually put a rod in their shower & use it as a closet to hang clothes. OH HELL NO!!! What a waste!!! That's why we bought a rv so we didn't have to use the some times not so nice park facilities.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:22 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
OK there is a good reason we are called "junior members." Like Acaines I too noticed the gaps on the shower and had on my list of things "to fix" before spring a bead of silicone around the shower top and bottom.

I am beginning to get a bit down on all that I seem not to know about RVs.

Thank You John, Sourdough, and Chuckster57.

I suppose we started when I was 19 with a slide in, cabover camper - loved that thing (VERY cozy). From then until 1985 we had various truck campers and pop ups. In 1985 we bought our very first "real" hard walledRV (I guess) - a 1985 25' Terry Taurus. Since then we've only had regular travel trailers.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #13
Acaines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
I haven't really paid close attention, but I can't remember the water getting that high, spray or splashes.
Wellll... I guess we'll have to make sure we do our showers shipboard style...
Old 01-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #14
Acaines

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
It's surprising to us at how many rvers we've talked with that DO NOT use the shower in their rv & DO NOT go #2 in the toilet & only #1 during the night, they go to the park facilities. One couple actually put a rod in their shower & use it as a closet to hang clothes. OH HELL NO!!! What a waste!!! That's why we bought a rv so we didn't have to use the some times not so nice park facilities.
'Zactly.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:15 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

I started as a preteen in a tent. That would be early 60’s. Started with a tent with kids and their mother in 1983, slide in camper in 1985 and first fiver in 1989. Current fiver is my 4th and most likely final one. Been employed as an RV tech for about 7 years now.

So now you know.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #16
German Shepherd Guy

You know I think that RV tech is something more young people should think about. The demand seems to way outstrip the supply. If I was 50 years younger and knew, I think it would be an interesting career because of all the different facets. Living off of the grid I love the challenge of our RV. The 12v systems, the conversion to 120v ac, the mechanical, the plumbing, the scope is amazing. This fall a shop opened in the town nearest to us (about 60 miles) where they just do RV repairs, no sales. Within a month and a half there must be 35 units parked on the place getting looked at. The guy seems swamped.
I have also noticed as did "Travelin Texans" that when I camp at dog shows a large percentage of folks do not use their bathrooms and showers. The last used unit we bought the owner had converted the shower into a closet to hang cloths. I (of course) made the mistake of caulking the bottom of the shower to the tub because I thought it was a construction error.
My RV keeps me young and off the streets where I might get into trouble.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:06 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Oak,

In 1971, I was stationed at Lowry AFB, in Denver. A buddy of mine had some problems with his trailer, I told him to drop it off in the alley behind my house and I'd fix it for him. (It was an electrical issue, back then most trailers had 3 interior light systems, 12 VDC, 120 VAC and propane lanterns). His 12 VDC lights were in the wrong places and he wanted to convert some of the 120 VAC lights to run from his battery. Easy mod for me.

Anyway, in the 2 afternoons that I worked on it, I must have had 15 people stop by to ask if I repaired RV's. I said no, but it got me thinking. I rented an old Esso station on the corner of Alameda and First Ave and opened a shop. It was supposed to be a part time thing to make some extra money. I had maybe $200 invested. Before 6 months, I had 3 full time employees and 3 or 4 "irregular part timers" plus my wife doing the scheduling and finances. We ended up with a "partial used RV sales lot" as well as installing hitches and general RV maintenance. That was about the time that all the RV companies were making $5000 class A motorhomes (mostly junk) and I was approached by Champion who offered me a contract to sell their Americana line. Travco was also interested and I "almost" got out of the Air Force to stay in the RV business. Then, in 1974 we had the "gas crisis" and regular went from 25 cents a gallon to 50 cents, almost overnight. RVing essentially "dried up and blew away". I got orders to Germany, sold the business for a hefty profit, we went to Germany and bought a Mercedes 300D. We pulled a small, lightweight German camper through Europe.

I don't know if it was a mistake to sell or if I should have stayed there and tried to make a go of it. Anyway, you're right. Today's RV market looks like it's going to outstrip the available, qualified service people. Even as a seasonal industry in most of the US, RVing is here to stay, at least as long as we have gas/diesel and it stays affordable.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #18
kjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post

Amen to that! Only one time, back in 1999, we camped out of the back of my wife-to-be's Dodge Dakota. We had to use the park facilities - never went camping again until we bought our first Jayco 197.

Same deal when we are on the move during the day. We use the trailer. We have this expensive little house on wheels, so we use it!
Old 01-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #19
ptooti

Dealer told us not to seal the shower it’s left that way so moisture can dry out so what gets in can get out go figure

Current : 2018 Passport Elite 19RB
Past 2015 R-Pod 179
6,000 Equalizer WDH
2009 F150 Lariat 5.4l
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:45 AM   #20
GlampingHippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The shower surround is "loosely installed" in most trailers as a "designed in feature" (even though many owners feel an urgent need to improve on the factory installation)....

The trailer walls "bend and flex" as you tow the trailer down the road. There's a "fine line" between the shower surround being pulled from the wall and being "installed like the one at home"....

You might consider a strip of double sided adhesive foam tape to hold the top of the surround in position or you might consider a strip of aluminum molding that matches the shower door/glass wall enclosure. If you do install any type of molding, be sure to only attach it to the wall, not the shower surround, so the surround won't be ripped apart as you tow the trailer down the road.

Also remember that the bottom of the surround is not sealed to the shower base to allow for movement. Applying sealant to that joint can cause leaks rather than prevent them.....

Hmmm this answers a question for me. We DID seal the top edges and now have 3 big cracks in different places in the bottom half of the walls. I thought it was from the cold.....but your explanation makes sense.
GlampingHippie is offline   Reply With Quote