Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #21
tdawg

Update rv repair shop called today. Verified the 22 inch bedroom t.v. and convection microwave are toast. They have had the a/c and heat pump running with no issues yet. I told them it sounded like the compressor was trying to start then would kick out. I was thinking a start capacitor. They have been running it without issues. I said to raise the temp. on t stat high and run heat pump for an extended time and then lower temp. and run a/c under load for several hours. Hopefully its ok. Surge guard is on it's way back to them for testing. With a 500.00$ insurance deductable i'm still going to file a claim so they have a record if a/c quits in the near future.
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:01 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks for the tip. Please update us when you find out about the surge guard. I've got the same one and when I just read this had to go out and look it over; seems to be purring along but I've only had it about a year so don't want some sort of catastrophic failure while we are out and about.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:48 AM   #23
tdawg

Update we got our Alpine back from the shop only damage was convection microwave and bedroom tv. Insurance company said if something else shows up later they will take care of it. Still waiting to hear back from surge guard on their testing results.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:25 AM   #24
Rdowns

Question: and correct me if Im wrong...Cause Im a plumber...not an electrician.

If we have all these fuse's and breakers on board on the trailer shouldn't those prevented some kind of surge protection too? Especially if the units are overheating and smoking I would most definitely think it would trip a breaker??

And I am new to the 50 Amp world so ... once again help me understand? What is the purpose of the surge protector? I mean I understand the purpose of surge protectors in general, but when we have all the breakers and fuses on board, what is the point then? A residential house only has breakers, with surge protectors at some appliances, there is no master surge protector. I want to understand the thoughts and facts behind them? Sounds like more damage than good??

Need to know if I should be looking into getting one of these things? (the right brand obviously!)
Rdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:37 AM   #25
gtsum2

Scary stuff. I bought a progressive industries 50amp ems and hoping it does its job better than noted here. My parents didn't have one on their trailer and smoked all the electrical components when they hooked up to a bad power source, so one would hope these units perform as advertised
Old 04-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

rdowns - IMO you need a surge guard. Some campgrounds have "iffy" wiring. Some due to cost cutting on installation, some due to the owner trying to play electrician and some due to none of the above. Your RV can suffer significant damage by incorrectly wired outlets. I have the surge guard referenced by the OP and have had no problems. I plug it in and it tests the circuits for several conditions. Upon the completion of the tests it indicates all is good and I plug in the RV.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:31 AM   #27
bobbecky

For the plumber, fuses and breakers protect against over-current conditions, where the amperage exceeds the wire ratings. When a circuit is rated at, say, 15 amps, that is the maximum safe current rating on that wire to keep it from melting due to the heat from the high current that would melt the wire. Larger wire would handle more current without developing heat from the wire's resistance.

A surge arrestor is designed, primarily, to protect against high voltage conditions, or in many of these smarter surge protection devises, they also protect against reverse polarity, low voltage, disconnected grounds and neutrals, etc. They will not protect against high current, because it is assumed if the unit is rated for 50 amps per leg, the unit will be able to handle the full 50 amps, but is not able to see individual circuits split off at the panel. Hope this helps.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:04 AM   #28
Rdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
For the plumber, fuses and breakers protect against over-current conditions, where the amperage exceeds the wire ratings. When a circuit is rated at, say, 15 amps, that is the maximum safe current rating on that wire to keep it from melting due to the heat from the high current that would melt the wire. Larger wire would handle more current without developing heat from the wire's resistance.

A surge arrestor is designed, primarily, to protect against high voltage conditions, or in many of these smarter surge protection devises, they also protect against reverse polarity, low voltage, disconnected grounds and neutrals, etc. They will not protect against high current, because it is assumed if the unit is rated for 50 amps per leg, the unit will be able to handle the full 50 amps, but is not able to see individual circuits split off at the panel. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info!! Stuff I did not know...

Here is a pic that someone had posted on other thread about the hidden compartment in fuzions basement, this was regarding the sub woofer but in the picture he has his Progressive Surge Protector mounted in there. I think this might be a good way to mount a permanent solution??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10553345_10203564558627061_1001853735895017869_n.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	8412  
Rdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:43 PM   #29
larry337

Keep in mind that a basic $100 surge protector will only save you from a sudden spike like one from a lightning strike.

An electrical management system gives you surge protection plus continuous monitoring of the electricity being supplied by the campground.

These provide the basic Surge Protection like the Surge Protector above, but in addition they provide:

* Prolonged High low voltage protection.

* Open neutral protection.

* AC frequency protection.

* 220 Volt protection in case you plug your RV into 220 Volts by accident.

I installed a hard wired unit with the remote monitor and I never have to mess with it again. I don't have to go outside to see whats wrong and I dont have to worry about someone stealing it.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:22 PM   #30
gearhead

[QUOTE=Rdowns;168728]Question: and correct me if Im wrong...Cause Im a plumber...not an electrician.

If we have all these fuse's and breakers on board on the trailer shouldn't those prevented some kind of surge protection too? Especially if the units are overheating and smoking I would most definitely think it would trip a breaker??

And I am new to the 50 Amp world so ... once again help me understand? What is the purpose of the surge protector? I mean I understand the purpose of surge protectors in general, but when we have all the breakers and fuses on board, what is the point then? A residential house only has breakers, with surge protectors at some appliances, there is no master surge protector. I want to understand the thoughts and facts behind them? Sounds like more damage than good??
Need to know if I should be looking into getting one of these things?

I wouldn't get one permanently installed. If you are using a generator it will sense a ground problem and could shut you down. I'm happy with the portable type.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:51 PM   #31
Festus2
Site Team

gearhead -
You might find this link helpful in answering most of your questions about surge protection:

www.rvtravel.com/noshockzone/surge477.shtml

An excellent article written especially for plumbers....lol
Old 04-22-2015, 07:03 PM   #32
larry337

You're right about the generator, the system has a bypass switch on the display monitor so it can be disabled. I use a generator sometimes.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 04-23-2015, 07:58 AM   #33
BirchyBoy

While at CW yesterday I bought a TRC 30 amp surge guard for $95. When I got home, I found that it was on sale for $75 at CW.com. After getting pretty irritated at the difference in prices, and then reading the link posted by Festus, I ordered a Progressive Industries portable 30 amp EMS system from Amazon for $266. I thought back to my last trip a couple weeks ago and how hot my laptop and phone power supplies were getting. I'm hoping that this EMS will take care of that issue.

2 issues: I have to drive to CW to return the surge guard, and I have to remember to get the EMS from the pedestal when leaving. I like the idea of the hardwired units, but I'm not committed to this travel trailer and don't want to invest that much in it.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:46 AM   #34
sourdough
Site Team

birchyboy - when you get ready to leave just pull the surge guard when you unplug your power cable. I put a lockable black plastic "theft guard" over the connection where my regular power cable plugs into the surge cable and they don't unplug from each other any longer. Would not stop a motivated person from breaking it and stealing the surge guard but it does help keep honest folks honest - which is about all you can do in an RV environment.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #35
gtsum2

The progressive industries portable EMS has a locking ring on it you can lock to the pedastal
Old 04-23-2015, 12:55 PM   #36
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
While at CW yesterday I bought a TRC 30 amp surge guard for $95. When I got home, I found that it was on sale for $75 at CW.com. After getting pretty irritated at the difference in prices, and then reading the link posted by Festus, I ordered a Progressive Industries portable 30 amp EMS system from Amazon for $266. I thought back to my last trip a couple weeks ago and how hot my laptop and phone power supplies were getting. I'm hoping that this EMS will take care of that issue.

2 issues: I have to drive to CW to return the surge guard, and I have to remember to get the EMS from the pedestal when leaving. I like the idea of the hardwired units, but I'm not committed to this travel trailer and don't want to invest that much in it.
Just to clarify, none of these will clean up or fix a problem. If they detect a problem with your power source they simply cut power. I wouldn't know why your devices are getting hot but don't expect the EMS to change that.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 04-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #37
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
Just to clarify, none of these will clean up or fix a problem. If they detect a problem with your power source they simply cut power. I wouldn't know why your devices are getting hot but don't expect the EMS to change that.
Huh, thanks. I was hoping this would help. Guess not
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:36 PM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

All the "surge protectors" and EMS will do is alert you that there is a problem and some will interrupt power to protect your electrical system. As stated, they won't "fix" a low voltage problem or correct the wiring issues at the power pole.

There is a device that will help protect from "brown-out" conditions (low voltage) by boosting the incoming voltage by up to 10%. That means it can "fix" a campground "low voltage condition" down to about 105 VAC by "adding voltage up to 11.5VAC". It also has surge suppression, polarity and ground fault detection circuits. Like the EMS, it won't repair the campground wiring if there is a polarity or ground fault.

It's a "pricey" addition and most people won't find that they need this type of "electrical systems protection," but if you camp regularly in campgrounds that have a "low voltage issue" it can help prevent damage to your appliances and keep them running when other campers are shutting down their systems because of low voltage.

Available in 2 models, a 30 amp and a 50 amp version:

http://tweetys.com/30amphughesrvauto...FQsAaQod8WkAtQ

http://tweetys.com/50ampautoformer.aspx

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #39
tdawg

Conclusion I just received an email from surge guard they are going to reimburse me 363.$ and sending me a new updated version of the 50 amp surge guard
Old 05-30-2015, 12:10 PM   #40
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Can not ask anymore of a Customer Service Organization than what you received. I am very happy with my Surge Guard 50 AMP Hardwired EMS System as well as their Technical Support.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote