Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #41
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

I think you have a really good point though as my brother dropped by today and right away said that my TV is high def and it's really not made for the signals from an antenna.

He figures with all the wireless that I have in here that the TV is getting confused about what signals to pick up. This really makes sense as now that I think about it the TV in the bedroom really isn't on until night and all wireless is shut down.

His solution is to bring over a sat system and see what happens then.

I hope this cures it!

No offense, but he's not right on any of that. I have three HD sets all running off of good old fashioned "rabbit ears" plus a small amplifier. Almost all HD sets have receivers for over the air broadcast, and do it very well.

As far as the "wireless" interacting, it should not. And that doesn't match your description of what changes in the environment when it fails. WiFi operates a long way away from TV broadcast in the frequency spectrum. Interference is rare and usually from a bad power supply throwing radio noise across the entire spectrum.

I'm going to bow out and back up the response that said you need to eliminate things one by one in a controlled fashion. Troubleshooting is a specific skill and it requires just a touch of discipline. Experience makes it look easier since you can jump straight to the most common problems, but when you're new at it, you kinda have to just follow the steps and do things one thing at a te and re-assess as new information is learned.

Yes, hooking up a satellite dish may fix it, if the problem is signal strength and interference, since the signal from a satellite receiver is always strong, since the "transmitter" to the TV is in the dish receiver and therefore very strong into the TV.

But it's not an indication that an HDTV wasn't built to receive over the air signals.

One step at a time if you want free TV. If you want to pay, and the problem isn't input power related, the dish will probably work to cover up whatever is really happening.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #42
Steve S

So after all the B.S of checking everything from top to bottom on what little free time I have nothing and I mean nothing helped
It's always been in my mind that it's a signal thing but why just the one TV?
I ended up pulling on the main cable to get an idea which way it ran through the ceiling and I was hearing a clunking sound up there. So I pulled a light down that's just about below the antenna and there to my surprise is a splitter!
The freaking cable from the splitter was loose and had some grey corrosion around it. I could wiggle it and it would make the TV flicker as it does when the wind hits the antenna.
I tightened it up, messed around turning things on and everything seems to be perfect
So with this loose connection and running 120 somehow working together to cause all these problems?
So far everything is working great and I hope it stays this way.
Thanks everyone for all the thoughts and ideas
Old 04-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #43
denverpilot

Heh. It's always the small stuff. Glad you found it.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #44
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
Heh. It's always the small stuff. Glad you found it.
Yeah but what a pia it was though I even went as far as buying a polarity tester and checked all the plugs as a last resort.
Oh well at least you guys gave me a lot of info about things that I never knew about
Old 04-06-2014, 09:34 PM   #45
denverpilot

I hear ya. Just think of the poor guys who troubleshoot strange stuff like that at the RV dealer, every day. Ha.