Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2014, 04:15 PM   #41
Ken / Claudia

I think if you did not know that the tanks were OPD and what that means, you should have someone come out help you with the propane system. Show you how and why it works. OPD tanks have been around about 15 years.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #42
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I think if you did not know that the tanks were OPD and what that means, you should have someone come out help you with the propane system. Show you how and why it works. OPD tanks have been around about 15 years.
As I've already stated above the propane guy schooled me on the valves and how and why they work the way that they work.
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #43
Ken / Claudia

The propane system I mention would be the tanks, regulator, switch over, hoses, connectors, heater. Sorry you got a problem, many have given helpful ideas. None seem to work but, 5 pages of help. Get someone else to look it over. I think they are easy to use, trouble shoot and fix. Good Luck
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #44
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
The propane system I mention would be the tanks, regulator, switch over, hoses, connectors, heater. Sorry you got a problem, many have given helpful ideas. None seem to work but, 5 pages of help. Get someone else to look it over. I think they are easy to use, trouble shoot and fix. Good Luck
Yup easy for you to use and figure out but not for me, hence the questions.
Here in B.C propane systems have to be certified from front to back before the trailer leaves the lot which has been done.
This is a weather related problem and I'm asking a question to see if anyone else has experienced this and how they rectified it.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:37 AM   #45
JRTJH
Site Team

Steve. I think what you're being told is that although the propane system is required to be certified before it leaves the sales lot, YOUR system has failed. Something is not working as it should. Certification isn't a guarantee that the system will function without failure, it's only a piece of paper that states the system was working when it was tested. Components fail, stop working, and can become problematic at any time. That has happened to your system.

If you haven't been able to repair it yourself, if, as you say, you're learning the simple basics of the system, but have not yet "mastered" a good understanding of what is supposed to be happening, it may be time to get someone to look over the system and get it operational again, before a more significant problem develops and somebody gets hurt or something gets damaged.

Propane, in a system with problems can be hazardous as well as inconvenient. The propane system is relatively simple by design, should be reliable, functional and convenient to use. If it's not all of those things and if you can't find the problem after all the advice you've been given, the problem is likely "above your pay grade" and what Ken/Claudia is telling you, that it's time to call in the Mounties, is good advice.

None of us want to read about your RV being damaged by a problem with the propane system that developed because you weren't able to properly troubleshoot the system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:51 PM   #46
bmach

Are you sure it is freezing? I did not think propane froze until around -200 c. I use my grill all winter long and never had a problem and I work night so I'm grilling at 3:00 am in the north east.
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #47
Steve S

Turns out it was simply water freezing in the regulator, I simply took it off and blew it out and it works fine
A thanks to Don Madmax here for the tips hey pmed me
Old 02-03-2014, 07:08 AM   #48
new owner fuzion 310

What about purchasing an electric pad that goes around an automotive battery and operates on 120 volt power? Believe they are called Battery Warmers.
new owner fuzion 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #49
Festus2
Site Team

new fusion owner 310 -
Your suggestion about a heating pad has already been mentioned to Steve but it seems like he has found out the problem about water freezing in the regulator.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #50
Steve S

I totally forgot that I have a buddy that works in the RV service dept in Aldergrove.
He said there's no way in the world that my propane would freeze, it takes a lot of - weather to freeze propane.
He also told me that he's never sold a heater blanket in 20 yrs in the business in B.C.
The problem was in his theory was when the certification was done and the pressure testing was going on that there was water in the compressor and some got in to the regulator and sat at the lowest point.
He figures that the water gets cold enough to start to crystallize and it blocked the flow of propane.
He said to take it off and blow it out which I did and it works great now!
Also he recommended to wrap the regulator with insulation and I did and everything seems fine now.
Thanks for all the relies and suggestions from everyone and thanks for putting up with my many thoughts!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:21 PM   #51
FullTimer

Well, lol, propane doesn't really freeze, it just gets so cold that it won't turn from liquid to gas readily. Ever see a tank frost? From heavy propane use? I have. That's what happens when the liquid/ gas is changing states. Heating pads are really a last resort for this. Are you still having issues?

Eta true story on my old trailer. I kept having issues with one of the lines stopping up and stopping the propane, Come to find out, the inner rubber lining of the main rubber hose was deteriorating and turning to goo, stopping up the passage. I ended up replacing all the rubber lines and never had an issue with that again.
FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #52
Steve S

Still no problems, hit -12 a few times and everything works fine.
I still at times think that where I get my propane that it's not up to snuff. My plan is to get the big bottles but I called Super Save Propane, head office today and they said that they won't deliver unless I order 5 bottles @ a time
Now the plan is to buy one but they don't sell them either so I'm SOL or I have to call around.......more on my busy plate!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:31 AM   #53
FullTimer

Good idea. I keep two 100#+two 30# tanks= 260# for hard times.
FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #54
greengiant

Did you figure it out yet? I've seen some good advice thus far-the ones that focus on water being the culpret, or the pigtails. It gets pretty cold here and my propane guy said freezing is not an issue. I'd say water in the regulator or lines or that overfill protection device. I had issue with my old camper where the tanks just gave me trouble on certain occasions and they would not open up...no matter how slow I turned the valve to not let it 'rush' out and lock up.
greengiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #55
Steve S

Yup! It was figured out a few pages ago
Old 02-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #56
greengiant

I somehow missed the last 15 posts where it was solved....sorry
greengiant is offline   Reply With Quote