Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #21
Essness

The only place I ever need a generator is at the various race tracks. With the Champion, I'm the quiet one.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
A constant speed gen set will/should produce 60 cycle A/C and everything should run off it.

A constant speed gen set has no Eco speed as such.

If you are at a campsite that allows gen sets, and you fire up a "construction gen set" you will not make friends.

While you may not consider it noisy, your neighbor who bought a Honda or Yamaha may have a different opinion.

I just hope I don't camp next to you.
If you camp next to me and my generator (I might use it a couple of hours every other day) you'll be camped at least 500 feet away. That's the closest "next campsite" to where we normally camp. So, if you want to bring your Honda or Yamaha, I won't hear it just as I don't hear the Champions or even the Generac's that people use in our "unsettled" neck of the woods.....

I think the point is that not everyone needs to buy a Honda, Yamaha or other "big bucks" generator to keep the "environment quiet". Sometimes, common sense has to be used. Surely, barking dogs, kids on bicycles, "old men belching" and other noises are a part of being "close to other people". If you do that kind of camping, maybe you need a Honda generator, or possibly, you need solar and hope the neighbor doesn't say "SHHHHH" while you collect sunlight....... There's a certain realization that a Champion generator running for an hour in the afternoon doesn't "upset the campground" any more than a diesel F350 idling at 6 AM on the way to take the boat to the landing "upsets the campground"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:55 AM   #23
Essness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you camp next to me and my generator (I might use it a couple of hours every other day) you'll be camped at least 500 feet away. That's the closest "next campsite" to where we normally camp. So, if you want to bring your Honda or Yamaha, I won't hear it just as I don't hear the Champions or even the Generac's that people use in our "unsettled" neck of the woods.....

I think the point is that not everyone needs to buy a Honda, Yamaha or other "big bucks" generator to keep the "environment quiet". Sometimes, common sense has to be used. Surely, barking dogs, kids on bicycles, "old men belching" and other noises are a part of being "close to other people". If you do that kind of camping, maybe you need a Honda generator, or possibly, you need solar and hope the neighbor doesn't say "SHHHHH" while you collect sunlight....... There's a certain realization that a Champion generator running for an hour in the afternoon doesn't "upset the campground" any more than a diesel F350 idling at 6 AM on the way to take the boat to the landing "upsets the campground"
It's always interesting to me what triggers annoyance in people. And of course the noise they make never occurs to them or is somehow perfectly justified
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Old 06-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #24
Bob Landry

I talked a bit with a gentleman that had a champion generator that he was quite happy with and was told he also knew a couple of guys who also had them and were happy with them. They do seem to be a good value for the money, however, their website makes no reference as to where to get service if needed. That would be a big question before I purchased anything that I was not personally qualified to work on.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #25
raytronx

http://supergenproducts.com/

Met these guys at Quartzsite RV Show, they do service. Really nice guys, you can actually call them on the phone and they answer! hehe. Found out there is an upgrade to the control board available for mine and even though they are out of warranty if I send in the board, its no charge to have the firmware upgraded.

If anyone wants to read till there eyes get crossed about Champion Gennys, there is a 271 page thread at RV.net forum that has been running for years.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...pging/1/page/1

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #26
Essness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I talked a bit with a gentleman that had a champion generator that he was quite happy with and was told he also knew a couple of guys who also had them and were happy with them. They do seem to be a good value for the money, however, their website makes no reference as to where to get service if needed. That would be a big question before I purchased anything that I was not personally qualified to work on.
When mine arrived with the broken air box, I called them and they gave me 3 different service centers within 15 miles of my house. I live in a somewhat rural community so I was kinda impressed.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Old 06-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Bob, When I bought my Champion from Tractor Supply, the owner's packet came with the manual and a list of service centers. On the Champion website, in the FAQ's is this answer to the question, "How do I contact the Champion 24 hour help line?"

"During regular business hours (Pacific Time Zone), call our toll-free line at (877) 338-0999. Outside of regular business hours, we are pleased to offer two options: 1. Contact our technical staff via email at [email protected]; we will respond promptly. Please be sure to include your model number and a brief description of how we can help. 2. For power/generator emergencies, please contact our on-call technical staff at (562) 204-1188, weekends and holidays included. If we aren't able to answer your call immediately, please leave a voicemail. Be sure to include your contact information, model number of your generator and a brief description of how we can help. A response will usually be made within minutes."

I've never had to call their "after hours" service, but the two times I called their regular CS line, I didn't get put on hold and was talking to a human, not a computer voice within a minute.

There are 4 Champion authorized service centers within 30 minutes of my house. BTW, it's 35 minutes to WalMart and KMart.

I wouldn't think you'd have any issues finding service in your area.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #28
Bluewater

You may be the least popular camper in the park though.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater View Post
You may be the least popular camper in the park though.
Read my previous posts, methinks you just don't get where I camp !!!!!

I haven't had a skunk, bear, deer or moose complain about my Champion yet.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #30
crash

We have one the 3500/4000 ,used it on our last TT before upgrading to the Raptor with the 5500 onan,The little champion did great and is still going ,matter of fact I have it over at one of our rental properties because they still are without power
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #31
kancop

So, this may seem like a basic question, but what wattage is necessary to run a 13K btu AC and everything else on board? I don't want to purchase to small of a generator
kancop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #32
Festus2
Site Team

If you make a list of all those items that you might have operating at the same time and beside each the wattage that each requires that will give you an idea of what size generator you should consider.

There are some items, like the A/C, that require more "startup" amps to get it going and consequently more watts are required during the initial startup.

In addition, you didn't mention whether or not your unit is wired for 30A or 50A so that will place limits on how many things you can have going at once.

It isn't likely that you will have everything on board going at the same time, but there are some items - like the converter - that is running in the background and draws about 7-9 amps. Don't forget to include items like these in your calculations.

My guess would be that you would need a minimum of 3500-4000 watt generator to run your A/C plus some other items - but not everything.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #33
kancop

Festus, great help in your answer. That gives me some work to start with and gauge my size of generator. I figured around 4,000 would be pretty standard, but now I know why. Thanks! BTW, mine is a 30A service.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #34
Festus2
Site Team

kancop -
Having a 30A service will no doubt put some limits on how many items you can have running at the same time - regardless of the size of the generator.
The A/C will probably take 15A for starters and if you start adding things like a microwave, coffee maker, HW tank on electric, the converter, etc. you will soon find out that you will have to pick and choose which things you can have going at the same time. The items I mentioned, all take a fair chunk out of that 30A.

Good luck in your generator purchase.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

A 3500 watt continuous output generator produces 30.4 Amps at 115 VAC. So, essentially, if you have a 30 Amp trailer input, any generator capable of producing 3500 watts will power everything in your RV just as it would if you were connected to shore power. Granted, you will have to pick and choose among high wattage appliances, but you have to do that whether you're connected to a 3500 watt generator or shore power. So, any generator bigger than 3500 watts (continuous output) will be "overkill" for a 30 Amp RV.

Now, if you start plugging other things into the generator outlets addition to the RV, that's another situation entirely.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #36
kancop

I am going to go with the Champion 73534i paralleled. I couldn't beat the price at 849.00 refurbished. I will keep you posted.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #37
skifreak76

thanks everyone I just ordered it form farmandfleet.com they have it on sale for $249.99 with $30 shipping for a total of $280 way cheaper than everywhere else I looked!!
Old 06-24-2013, 05:02 AM   #38
crash

I use the generator now going around the property in the back of the truck to do repair great little genny .
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #39
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kancop View Post
I am going to go with the Champion 73534i paralleled. I couldn't beat the price at 849.00 refurbished. I will keep you posted.
No intention of "bursting your bubble" but that generator is available new from Northern Tool for $699 and is currently on sale for $649.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8014_200458014

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #40
kancop

John, that is the price for two generators and the parallel cord. I was a bit vague in my post as I read it. Mind you they are refurbished generators by the factory, so it is buyer beware.