Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2019, 04:25 PM   #1
cjgonzo

Can't figure out why all of our outlets and our FRIDGE are not working

Hi,

Hubby and I are on our 2nd RV trip. First time we went in Summer. First problem...the AC. Got it working but we're finding that it is insufficient to really keep us cool. But right now that's not even the biggest issue. When we got to our site, plugged everything in, we find that NONE of our outlets are working. We have a Sprinter Campfire 26FWRL. There is a GCFI behind the chair beside the breaker panel. We hit it and still nada. No power to any of the outlets and as far as we can tell there is no other GCFI outlet anywhere. Anyone else have this model who could clue us in? I work remote so not having power for my laptop and phone is a HUGE DEAL! Any advice would be appreciated. BTW, I check the cabinets and the bathroom and everywhere inside. Only place with a reset button on it was behind the chair beside the RV door. I can't quite believe how hard it is to find information on this stuff. It's the first time google has failed me. Did I mention we brought all 3 dogs and the only place we are cool right now is our bedroom which is where the AC is. We're such newbies we just assumed we had 2 ACs on this RV. Man....were we dumb!
cjgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
Gord

Not to worry, everyone is a newbie at some point in time. A couple of questions:
1) when you used the trailer previously did the outlets work?
2) given that your AC is working you must have power at the trailer. Have you tried turning off and back on the breakers in the distribution panel?
3)There may be a GFCI outlet on the outside of the trailer?
I'm sure others with way more experience than me will have more suggestions.
Good luck and hope it turns out okay for you guys.

4) Is your trailer a 30amp or 50 amp service? I'm not totally sure about this but it may be that if your trailer requires a 50amp service that one leg of the service is dead.
Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
msubobcats

We had the same AC issue. It was 100*+ for three days in Colusa and the AC was not doing the job. Kept it at probably 90*. That is when I said our next 5th wheel would have two units. One just will not handle high temps...
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:37 PM   #4
travelin texans

Check the bathroom & kitchen sinks there's probably another GFCI hiding somewhere.
As to the ac, any RV 20'+ WILL NOT cool down in extreme heat with only 1 ac. Read some of the posts on modifications of ac ducts & other fixes to try to improve cooling, every little bit will help, just don't expect miracles.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:42 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

We had a poster recently going thru what you are trying to find an additional GFI outlet and I believe they said it was under a counter...or table...something like that. That sure sounds like what your issue is.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:22 PM   #6
PSD Andy

We have the 29 FWRL so not exactly the same, but also check inside your pass-thru cargo compartment. Ours has a GFCI outlet in there on the entry door side of the camper attached the interior wall that divides the upper floor to the lower floor transition(or under the stairwell might be a better place to describe it), and in our unit that puts right next to a run of kitchen outlets also.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:46 PM   #7
K_N_L

No outlets?

Its tricky to remotely t-shoot some problems, you mentioned NO outlets are working but the AC is. The AC is on a separate breaker in the panel box from outlets, fridge, heater etc. If you havent, suggest you trip and reset all the other 110 breakers in the panel to make sure they are on. There should be several 10 -15 amp circuits. Use something like your phone charger/ or a light to test all the outlets. Guessing your refrig is running on gas.
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:51 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

On some trailers there are 120 volt plugs mounted on the bottom of the overhead cabinets in the galley. They were installed there because wiring is difficult to run through the laminated sidewalls. Well, it's easy to run but near impossible to repair if there's a problem. So, Keystone ran the ROMEX through the ceiling and down into the cabinets and mounted plugs on the underside of the cupboards. You may find a "well hidden plug" that's a GFI master mounted in an obscure, under cabinet location in your trailer.....

The refrigerator plug (outside behind the refrigerator) is supposed to be on a dedicated line and a single plug, but on some trailers, Keystone installed a GFI and then daisy chained other plugs to that circuit. So also remove your lower refrigerator vent and check that plug.

If you have a residential refrigerator, you can almost bet that the plug behind it is going to be a GFI protected plug. Whether it's a daisy chained one or on a separate circuit, with the inverter, who knows.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:58 PM   #9
John&Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by msubobcats View Post
We had the same AC issue. It was 100*+ for three days in Colusa and the AC was not doing the job. Kept it at probably 90*. That is when I said our next 5th wheel would have two units. One just will not handle high temps...
Many times a 5th wheel might be prepped for a second AC even though it’s not installed. If so, it wouldn’t be that hard to have one put in.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:18 PM   #10
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgonzo View Post
Hi,

Hubby and I are on our 2nd RV trip. First time we went in Summer. First problem...the AC. Got it working but we're finding that it is insufficient to really keep us cool. But right now that's not even the biggest issue. When we got to our site, plugged everything in, we find that NONE of our outlets are working. We have a Sprinter Campfire 26FWRL. There is a GCFI behind the chair beside the breaker panel. We hit it and still nada. No power to any of the outlets and as far as we can tell there is no other GCFI outlet anywhere. Anyone else have this model who could clue us in? I work remote so not having power for my laptop and phone is a HUGE DEAL! Any advice would be appreciated. BTW, I check the cabinets and the bathroom and everywhere inside. Only place with a reset button on it was behind the chair beside the RV door. I can't quite believe how hard it is to find information on this stuff. It's the first time google has failed me. Did I mention we brought all 3 dogs and the only place we are cool right now is our bedroom which is where the AC is. We're such newbies we just assumed we had 2 ACs on this RV. Man....were we dumb!
Your rig has a 50 amp power system, and if the 2nd A/C is not installed, it is probably prepped for the second unit, as it was an option for your rig. If you aren't able, call a mobile RV tech to get your power working. It may be as simple as a tripped breaker in the electric pedestal you are plugged into.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:42 PM   #11
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
As to the ac, any RV 20'+ WILL NOT cool down in extreme heat with only 1 ac.
I have to disagree. We own a 35 foot Bullet pull behind. It has a single 15k rooftop Dometic unit in the living space with vents in the bunkhouse and main bedroom. We've been to Florida mid summer in 95-100* temps with high humidity. We can usually maintain interior around 76-78 degrees.

The key to temperature control is our coach's low profile ceiling height (I think only 6'8") as well as keeping pillows in the roof vents. We also keep all the windows coverings and blinds in the closed positions. Enter and exit quickly and we can always achieve 20 degrees below the outside ambient temps. A couple of fans are strategically placed around trailer and it's just as comfortable as in our central air conditioned home.

Two weeks ago, we had temps near 95 degrees on a camping trip in Michigan. It was no problem to keep temps below 75 in the coach. The AC does get a workout though.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:50 AM   #12
Pull Toy

Try pushing the reset button on your GFI. Then push the Test button. You should hear an audible click. Push them both a few more times. Maybe the relay is stuck.

Also as already mentioned, turn off all of your AC breakers and reset them. Sometimes a tripped breaker doesn't look tripped.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:31 AM   #13
notanlines

Three items come to mind. I tend to lean towards Texas Travelers opinion on the dual air necessity. Also check both legs on the pedestal for power (Your surge protector should give you good info) and I also believe you have a hidden GFI somewhere. The fun of RV ownership is in the search. Keep us up on your progress.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:32 AM   #14
roadglide

I would unplug the trailer and take the breaker box out and check for loose wires I pulled my breaker box out with wire to spare for solar inverter . One brakes controlled all the plugs except frig and microwave .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:58 AM   #15
Roscommon48

it helps us old folks to read when you use paragraphs...just saying i'm old.

check you converter box....circuits blown? Then another way is to plug into another outlet...on another post. And then there is trying another electrical cord.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:09 AM   #16
Rinsrig

It is not uncommon for there to be a GFI outlet under the kitchen cabinet, also look for a GFI on an outside outlet, or in the basement. If you are running a 50 amp service, then you may have one leg that is out on your cord or from your breaker panel. Use a voltmeter to make sure that you gave 120 or more coming from both sides of the cord (most often it is the center 2 breakers in the panel.
Rinsrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:31 AM   #17
clickrs

Fuse box

We had a similar problem and found out it was two fuses behind the circuit board box. It was under a cabinet and a little hard to get to but once we removed the circuit board to get to the fuses two of them had broken wires in them that means they blew out. Thanks to a friend of ours that is an electrician or we would not have found it. Good luck.
clickrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:01 AM   #18
claymation

Other than the more obvious conditions already commented on (breaker at panel or on GFCI outlet), I've seen outlets go bad and not trip the breaker at the panel or the outlet's GFCI breaker. If it's the first outlet in the circuit, it's hard to diagnose.

If you suspect this may be the case, open each outlet and test for power at the outlet's terminals using a multimeter. Start with the outlet closest to the panel and you may get lucky and find power. If not, you'll have to test each outlet on the circuit, because as someone else commented, the wiring goes into the roof panels (and then who knows where), in some cases.
claymation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #19
Brazo

I had a similar issue-RV dealer said to check outside receptacle-sometimes water gets in and shorts out.My problem was power cord going into rear of rv was not connecting when you turn the plug going into socket.It was fixed just turn cord to lock in connection!
Brazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #20
W5WI

Check all your outlets with a voltmeter or check the breakers at the panel box. I recently had to replace a converter because I thought it was bad. Well it was. However, the problem was all 220v from the 50 amp service was going to one set of breakers and the other ones had residual voltage. After scratching our head for a while we read on another forum about a lost ground. Yep, the shore side plug neutral had came loose. This lesson cost me two A/C's, microwave and converter. But, now I KNOW...
2017 Ford F-250 4X4 CC 6.7 diesel

W5WI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, outlets