Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Notices

Old 07-17-2019, 09:07 AM   #11
ctfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman2014 View Post
Thanks very much for the clarification. Sounds like I need to do a fair amount of experimentation to resolve my erratic pump issue.
On your water pump, I'm having a similar issue where out of the blue our fresh water pump will start running at what sounds like a very low volume. This doesn't seem to matter whether it's full, half or nearly empty. In our case, turning a tap on at one of the sinks until the pump sounds normal again then shutting the tap off temporarily resolves the issue. I can't find any 'trigger' that causes it to start happening.

That said, our neighbor has had this issue before and he thinks the fresh water pump is wearing out. In his case he had some kind of pressure adjustment knob on his pump near the outlet to let him dial in where the pump activates, but I can't find anything like that on ours. Unless I can find more info on it, my plan is to buy a spare pump and have it handy in case turning the tap on/off eventually doesn't work.

ctfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:59 AM   #12
Irishman2014

I need to locate my pump and this forum is leading me to believe that its contained within my carpeted nightstand. Unfortunately, my TT has to be keep in a storage facility and I don't have the convenience of working on it from my home (bummer). So, investigating this type of thing takes time. This forum also leads me to believe that the pump may not be that expensive so having a spare sounds like a good idea. Thanks again for the advice.

Irishman2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Chris,

It sounds like the pump pressure switch is bad. It may be "internal leakage" in the diaphragm that's causing the pressure to drop or it may be a leak (unlikely) in your plumbing system. Anyway, when the pressure "creeps down" the pressure switch "slightly opens" (unlike when you turn on a faucet and it "fully opens"). That causes a small voltage to flow across the switch (probably overheating it so it will eventually fail) and causing the pump to run slowly. It never runs "fast enough" to increase the pressure enough to fully turn the pressure switch off.

Solution: Replace the pump head since the pressure switch is an integral part of the pump head or replace the pump. If you choose the OEM FloJet pump, it will probably be around $40-50 depending on where you buy it. If you "upgrade to a better pump, expect to spend $75-200, depending on where you buy it and which one you buy. I replaced my OEM pump with a similar one from Amazon a couple of years ago. The reason mine failed was a few pieces of plastic that were pulled from the fresh water tank and damaged the rubber diaphragm in the pump. I now have a strainer on my new pump and have had no problems since replacement.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #14
Irishman2014

John - I'm somewhat handy with a wrench and can usually make repairs myself (but not always). Would you expect this to be a fairly simple project?
Irishman2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Gerald,

Replacing the FloJet pump is a simple 2 clip/4 screw task. Just unclip the two water connections (they don't even need a wrench) and use a #2 Roberts screwdriver to remove the 4 screws that hold the pump to the floor. Cut the two wires and use a couple of twist on connectors to reconnect the new pump to the pos/neg 12 volt wires. That's all there is to it.

As for replacing/rebuilding the pump head, if you're handy with tools and can reassemble what you take apart, that is an easy job as well, but somewhat more complicated than just a simple pump replacement. The biggest hurdle is paying attention to how you take it apart so you can put it back together the same way.

Honestly, you'll spend probably two times as much effort to find the pump and access it as you will doing the actual replacement.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, outback, water, water leak