Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
rvinman

Hello everyone!

Just joined this week. Looking at a Cougar fifth wheel tomorrow, I hope they are not all as problem prone as what I have been reading. I have a GulfStream Canyon trail that I have been pretty happy with but it too had its share of problems.
rvinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum rvinman. Not sure what you have been reading about the Keystone Cougar 5th wheel but if I were to make one suggestion to you BEFORE you sign on the dotted line, is to go to Flyguy's website and download the PDI checklist that he has and is available for our members. Take this checklist with you and give your unit a complete and thorough inspection before you buy it. Insist that the dealer make good on all deficencies and faults that you find before it leaves the lot.
I bought an '08 Cougar 5th wheel and have been very pleased with it.
If you can't find your way to Flyguy's PDI, get back to us and we will assist you further. Don't be put off by all the negative comments you read on this or any other forums. Do your homework before you buy but like any other product, anyone can end up with a lemon - Cougar or otherwise.
Richard.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:43 AM   #3
antiqfreq

Smile

Welcome to our Forum,

Check in frequently and post frequently any questions or suggestions you may have.

I have a 2007 Cougar 5th wheel, we've owned it over 1 1/2 years now
and have not had one problem with it yet. Never a trip back to the dealer.

We are very satisfied with our purchase. It met our price point and met our qualifications for what we needed at this time in our lives.

We plan to keep it at least a few more years......maybe forever!

Jo a/k/a AntiqFreq
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:00 AM   #4
Flyguy

For the PDI checklist just click on "Flyguy" in the upper left of this post which will produce a drop down menu, then click on "Visit Flyguy's Homepage", and you will see the PDI checklist about the middle of the page. Right click on it and select "save target as" to download it to your computer, then print it out and take it with you. Remember, it's your responsiblity to see to it that all that is mentioned on the list is inspected and checks OK.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
Maniac

Welcome to the forum. Post and let us know what you decided on. The Cougar in my sig has only had one major problem that I know off.. I couldn't get the dang thing to cool down to a cold temp, so I added another 13K A/C in th master bed. Just remember, some people ove exagerate how bad something is. Just take your time and look real good when you do your pdi. GOOD LUCK
Old 07-31-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
rvinman

Thank you everyone for all of your replies! We did go and look at the Cougar last night. We are still undecided if we will get it or not. It is a 324RLB, the girls fell in love with the bedroom and loft area. There are a few things my wife and I don't like, there are no drawers in the master bedroom, there is very limited wardrobe space in the back bedroom, the rear bathroom has a vent and exhaust fan that is unreachable without a ladder, along with the ceiling vent in the living area (should of been electrically controlled).

I think I can come up with solutions for most of the problems, we are also concerned the cargo capacity is a little low (1820 lbs) and that the 13500 BTU AC will be too small.
We are heading out on a trip to North Dakota (we live in Wisconsin) tomorrow morning so we'll have a week to think about it before we get back.
I made a post on RV.NET about the Cougar and received all positive replies except one!

I'll keep you posted........Tim
Old 07-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
rvinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
For the PDI checklist just click on "Flyguy" in the upper left of this post which will produce a drop down menu, then click on "Visit Flyguy's Homepage", and you will see the PDI checklist about the middle of the page. Right click on it and select "save target as" to download it to your computer, then print it out and take it with you. Remember, it's your responsiblity to see to it that all that is mentioned on the list is inspected and checks OK.
Thanks Flyguy! I had already come accross your checklist using the google search engine! This is very helpful.

Tim
Old 08-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
noxellis

Welcome Tim,
I just got back from my first long trip with my new Cougar 293SAB and had a fantastic time with it. We were very comfortable in it for 10 days and put nearly 3000 miles on it. Had no problems and was really surprised how well it towed. Its my first 5th wheel after having a TT.
When I was looking at them, I narrowed my choices to the 293 and the 324. I went with the 293 because it was a bit lighter and I wanted an installed generator, so the carrying capacities were a factor. I loved the 324 layout, but with 2 kids the 293 was a great choice too.
Whatever you get, you'll have a great time!
Bob

p.s. Flyguy's list saved me at least 5 or 6 trips to the dealer!
PullRite Superglide (18k)
noxellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:48 AM   #9
Flyguy

I'm looking at the floor plan for the 293SAB Cougar, nice floor plan, it's rare to see an RV with two bathrooms in it (if I'm looking at the correct floor plan) and I can see why you choose it with kids onboard. Good luck with the new 5ver; I'm jealous, beautiful trailer. The only thing I would change would be to have all vinyl on the flooring and no carpet, at some point in time you may be chasing leaks and vinyl is easier to clean while you’re running down the leak, but hey, two slides and lots of room for the family and the kids have their own room, great choice. The wife is looking at the floor plan and says that she would prefer the bunk/sofa option instead of the bunk beds because we mostly have adult couples go with us but it still can sleep the grandkids. This trailer also has the new Jensen AWM970 radio with 3 speaker zones one of which is outside under the awning, I prefer the Jensen radio's to the Concertone radios that Forest River uses in their RV's because the Concertone has the TV tuner in it and the TV is just a monitor, what you have is a complete TV with digital tuner and the Jensen is a separate entity which feeds the TV as a DVD player, it also has a USB input slot and an Ipod input, boy, how far are we going to go with all this hi-tech stuff?
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote