Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2018, 08:25 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Hey, go with what you think I guess. For me, I would tow a tiny teardrop RV with the Frontier using a wdh....maybe - nothing else. They are "little" trucks. I had, and drove, a Tacoma for quite some time; not towing (I wouldn't). The Japanese, literally, have no concept, yet, of towing or what it takes to make a good tow vehicle IMO. They are trying to learn, and improving yearly, but in my estimation are about 10 years out to get where the big 3 are.

If I read your post right, Nissan says you need a Class IV for anything over 5k - plus a wdh, but it doesn't say not to use them under 5k lbs. Does your Frontier have a Class IV? I guess we could also surmise that the load you put in the trailer would bring it to 4k? Tongue weight at 500+? What is the payload of your truck, gvw, gawr? Those kinds of numbers are FAR more important than max tow numbers.

Not trying to argue, criticize or anything else. It just appears to me that you might be missing some of the facts as they relate to towing - I don't know and won't harp on it any longer. Just pay attention to what you're doing and the weights.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:06 PM   #22
NWishome

I appreciate all the input. My quote above was from the Nissan web site. The weight distributing hitch ball mount is the WD thing like the Anderson I presume? As opposed to just a sway bar at lower weights? The longest TT I have towed was a 2008 Chalet Takena with a Toyota 4 Runner and I sure knew it was there. The Frontier has more Horsepower than the 2006 4 runner tho. When I watch the videos they all look difficult to hook up. Wavering now on what to buy.
NWishome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:29 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Don't let all the stuff I said convince you to not get the trailer - sounds like you were looking forward to it. I think the Frontier will be OK if your truck is set up right with a WDH and sway bars. The hitches aren't that hard to set up, it's usually the weight that makes them cumbersome. The Andersen appears to be much lighter which would help with the hooking up/setting up. I think some on here have one and maybe they will chime in on the ease, or lack, of installing one and how well they work. Another thought would be to have the dealer where you buy the trailer install it - many do. My concern is getting the hitch. You will need the sway control to keep you safe IMO. (And check those weights on the sticker inside the door).

One thing on installing one; do you have the tools to install it? It will take a torque wrench, sockets etc. If like mine, it takes a torque wrench that exceeds 300 ft. lb. and a large, thin walled socket for the ball.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:30 AM   #24
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

WDH are not hard to hook up. They are also essential in my opinion for an optimal towing experience. I use an Equilizer 4-point hitch. The head is heavy but the system works like a rock. The easiest way to connect them is to use an electric jack to raise the tongue and rear of the tow vehicle. The bars just slip in place. Easy-peasy.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:45 AM   #25
Jonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWishome View Post
Hi Jonas,
I am considering buying the Crossfire 1900 RD but am totally intimidated by the thought of having to use a WDH (approaching age 70 and looks too hard from videos). I have used a friction sway bar on my previous trailers. I have a 2015 Frontier Crew Cab pickup- 2WD. Do you have a sway bar or you just tow it without anything?Thanks, Lynne
I don't use anything... no WDH or sway bars. I don't have any handling issues but you would just have to hook up and see how your particular setup handles.
2016 F150 4X4 - EcoBoost - 3:55's - rear locker - 9500# winch
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, bullet