Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
Mosnowman

Pullrite Superglide Hitch Problem?

So I invested in a brand new Pullrite Superglide hitch to go with my new Cougar 327RWS Fifth Wheel...installed at Camping World.

I am having a lot of trouble getting it to lock on when hooking up. U hooking is easy. Here is what I have tried thus far...

Made sure I am exactly straight when hitching up....

Lower the Fifth to ride up the hitch...

When I get it to finally lock it first makes a quiet thump which several folks have thought I was locked in...but I wasn't. It takes a second loud thump to fully lock in. Problem is half the time it won't lock in at all and I have to pull up and try again. Thoughts ?

2018 Ford F350 Diesel Lariat Crew Cab
B & W Companion Hitch
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
Cnc_hemi

Pullrite Superglide Hitch Problem?

I had to lube my really well. Around all the moving parts. It works great now. I had issues with it not setting itself after I would unhook. The trip lever would stick. Hope this helps ya. Make sure you keep the slides lubed as well. They move every time you turn. There is a trip that triggers it to lock. It is on the right bottom side. Pull your lever and use a broom handle and push it forward it should close it. Lube it well and do this a few times and all should be fine.

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
2012 GMC 2500 HD SIERRA DURAMAX 6.6L
Cnc_hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:10 AM   #3
billstuart

We also have a Super Glide and for the most part I am happy with it. My issues are that it's sometimes a bitch to get it to release and it sometimes 'clunks' on launch after stopping.

To get it to release, I sometimes have to chock the trailer wheels and/or manually activate the trailer brakes, put the truck in reverse and tap the throttle a time or two to move the pin away from the jaws of the hitch.

When I hook up I line up, leaving a foot or so between the hitch and the pin, adjust the landing gear so that the pin box is an inch or 2 lower than the hitch plate and connect the power. Then I get back into the truck, manually activate the trailer brakes, put the truck in reverse, release the truck's brakes and and back into the hitch at idle speed. I can tell by the sound whether I'm hooked, but I then put the truck in drive and tap the throttle a couple times while continuing to keep the trailer brakes manually activated just to be sure.

Happy trails,
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Previous RV's:
1992 Prowler 35' Bunkhouse
1986 Fireball 30'
1978 Nomad 24'
1963 Kenskill 19.5'
1972 Dyna Cruiser Camper on '72 F-250
A Tent
billstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:11 AM   #4
canesfan

Pullrite recommends WD40 on all the moving parts. I'd take the head off, turn it upside down and spray the parts under there. Keep your fingers away from the jaws if it's in the open position. Use a long screwdriver or something to trip the lever that closes the jaws. Work the moving pieces around to get everything moving. Might just be newness stickyness.

I had a problem with a used one latching after my previous 10 year old one wore out, it looks like the previous owner used grease on the underside parts and the grease got gummy and sticky. I had to degrease it and clean it up and it works fine now.

The two thumps for latching are normal, one subtle and one loud.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
MarkS

I have a Super Glide that I have used with two trailers. On our previous trailer, hitting the truck cab was an issue. The Super Glide made that a non-issue.

With the Super Glide I can see the locking disk and know that the hitch is locked. That's a big plus to me.

The only time I have trouble hitching is when I have the trailer too high. Or not lined up. A click and clunk when you successfully hitch. You can also tell by the handle if you have locked.

I clean the under side locking mechanism once a year. I have an older model that you have to keep the tubes greased. That's a little messy.

If you have trouble unhitching, you may have the trailer's weight on the locking disk. You have to lock the trailer brakes and back the TV a little.

There is a bolt and pressure plate, at the front of the hitch, that can adjust out the start clunk.

In general, I would buy another one if I needed to buy again.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
Bill & Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosnowman View Post
So I invested in a brand new Pullrite Superglide hitch to go with my new Cougar 327RWS Fifth Wheel...installed at Camping World.

I am having a lot of trouble getting it to lock on when hooking up. U hooking is easy. Here is what I have tried thus far...

Made sure I am exactly straight when hitching up....

Lower the Fifth to ride up the hitch...

When I get it to finally lock it first makes a quiet thump which several folks have thought I was locked in...but I wasn't. It takes a second loud thump to fully lock in. Problem is half the time it won't lock in at all and I have to pull up and try again. Thoughts ?

I have a brand new 15K Super Glide and I was having problems getting connected. So while at the Florida RV show in Tampa in January I found the booth and talked to a rep that gave the info I needed. Three things. The nut at the front of the hitch must be adjusted so that it takes "two" hands to put it in the centre position. If not it is too loose. Also you should clean then only use WD40 on the top and inside rails each day. If it is not adjusted properly then it will turn a bit upon connection and will not lock. Also the trailer "must be lifted up when you hook up or the pinbox is too high and it will not connect properly.

Also remember to raise your legs till they are about 1/4 inch off the ground and to do a load check with the chocks still in. If not the trailer could become disconnected and cost a lot of money to fix everything or even worse.

I also put a little piece of reflective tape on one of the plates at the back when it is closed so you can see it in the day time and see it with a flash light at night. You can close the the hitch with a long and large flat head screw driver and push on the tab on the bottom right of the plates that close. "Keep your fingers back if you want to keep them". Then put the tape on once in the locked position. Don't forget to pull the release before trying to connect again.

Bill
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
bobbecky

We have the 18K ISR Pullrite Superglide, and it has been trouble free. You do, as others have said, have to keep it well lubed, the rails and the mechanism. You also have to back into the hitch like you mean it, can't be gentle, you won't break anything. If you haven't already, be sure to check the condition of the pin on your trailer, to make sure there aren't any burrs or damage that would cause the hitch to not engage the pin correctly. You also do not want grease on the pin, just WD40. Also make sure when you spray the rails and latch mechanism prior to hitching, also spray the surface of the hitch where the kingpin slides on when hitching.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:27 AM   #8
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Deb View Post
Also you should clean then only use WD40 on the top and inside rails each day.

Bill
This is true for newer Superglides with Delrin (plastic) pads on the sliding surfaces.

Older models, depending on age, use either grease or graphite spray paint.

Greased models can be converted to graphite paint, which is, IMHO, easier to deal with.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #9
Mosnowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Deb View Post
The nut at the front of the hitch must be adjusted so that it takes "two" hands to put it in the centre position. If not it is too loose.
Bill
I'm not sure what you mean. Can you help me figure this out where exactly, and what the nut looks like that you are referring to? Thanks!

B & W Companion Hitch
Old 04-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #10
bobbecky

There is a part in the front of the hitch that looks like a bolt with a large flat plate attached to it that the slider part of the hitch bumps up against when you are in the straight ahead position. There is a nut on the threaded shaft that holds it from turning. If, when you manually slide the slider from the rear position to the forward position, the slider part meets resistance because it is up against this plate on the bolt, it is adjusted correctly. If it is loose, then you will have trouble hitching up, because it wants to turn prior to engaging the hitch fully. You will also get clunking when start and stopping, because there is slop from the adjustment being loose. To adjust, loosen the nut on the shaft, unscrew the bolt/plate part a bit, and while holding it from turning, tighten the nut and check resistance. It should be fairly tight to move the slider to full forward, with the head square to the hitch rails. All this info should be in the manual you should have received when you bought your hitch. You can also go to the PullRite site and download the manual for the hitch you have
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #11
Mosnowman

Thanks guys! Camping World didn't give me a manual so I just downloaded and see the adjustment nut you are mentioning. I will give it a try! Thanks again!

B & W Companion Hitch
Old 04-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #12
Bill & Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosnowman View Post
Thanks guys! Camping World didn't give me a manual so I just downloaded and see the adjustment nut you are mentioning. I will give it a try! Thanks again!

Keep in mind that it will have to be readjusted whenever it feels loose again. For me this is after a few thousand miles.

Bill
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote