Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #1
Bama Hammer

Tahoe or Silverado

Gents,

I am looking to solicit some opinions here:

I will be making a cross-country trip next week (about 1600 miles) and have a choice on tow vehicles. Catch is I cannot try them both out to compare, since I am not collocated with the trailer. Last summer I towed with a Tahoe and had mostly good experience, no issues with power but it got dicey when semi's passed on the interstate. I have recently gotten a Silverado and may take it to pickup the rig. Detailed info below, but bottom line which vehicle would you make the trip with?

Trailer= Passport 2400bh, Current loaded weight approx 5700 lbs, she is about 27' tongue to bumper with about 550 lbs on the hitch. Have a decent WDH and friction sway bar.

Silverado= 5.3LV8 with the HD cooler option, 3.08 gear ratio, Max Trailer 6700 with a GCWR 12200 lbs

Tahoe= 5.3LV8 with HD cooler option, 3.42 gear ratio, Max Trailer 8200 with a GCWR 14000 lbs.

Main thing I am looking for is to potentially trade some power (Tahoe) ,mostly just due to gearing, for a longer tow vehicle wheel base (Silverado) in hopes of reducing some of the trailer sway and being pushed around by the big trucks.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Bama Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

This is me so take it for what my opinion is worth.
I'd go longer wheelbase of the Silverado. The gearing is not ideal but you can lock out the top gears to maintain speed. Make sure your hitch is set up correctly too.
You didn't state your route. So these are generalizations. Hope it helps.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:06 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

To me, it's probably a wash.

You don't give the wheelbase of either vehicle which is important; min/max configurations of either could put them pretty close.

By your numbers you can obviously see which one is more capable at towing power wise - Tahoe primarily due to the axle ratio I suppose. You don't give detailed info about either vehicle so it's a big guess.

Long story short, IMO, it's a wash as I said. That trailer on a 1/2 ton truck, light in the tail, vs hooked up to the Tahoe will be literally insignificant. You are going to get that push/pull feeling in either vehicle....white knuckle at times. That's what happens with lighter tow vehicles....SUVs or light trucks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:07 PM   #4
slow

Not sure how you established your loaded tongue and trailer weights, but if accurate, TW is less than 10% of the TT. You should consider moving more weight forward in the TT to get the tongue weight over 700 lbs but less than 855 lbs. Water in the FW tank may do it. Handling will improve with either vehicle.

As already stated, longer wheel base will also help as would a hitch with integrated sway control.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:08 PM   #5
66joej

I would vote for the longer wheelbase also. Wow that is a shallow rear ratio for a pickup truck.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #6
Bama Hammer

Yeah the trailer weights are a wag. +/- a bit. Haven't actually been in the scales since it was brand new and empty.

Wheel base on the Tahoe is shortest avail. Silverado is a crew cab short box. It's a noticeable couple feet different.

Will be mostly Midwest flat terrain with maybe 200 miles through the ozarks in Tennessee and Missouri.

Thanks for the opinions!
Old 04-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Maybe I live on the edge more than some, but I'd say this:

You already know how the Tahoe performs, you also know the truck is "up to the task" numbers wise, so why not find out how it actually performs? Then you'll know which to take "next time" ....

Just be sure your trailer is well balanced, tongue weight is correct and hitch height/WD adjustments are set appropriately.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:20 PM   #8
bobbecky

Also consider what tires are on each vehicle. If the truck has 'P' rated tires, they are pretty soft compared to 'LT' tires, which will give you a bit more stability when towing. You have two different types of vehicles, one of those apples to oranges things, and there are a lot of variables to consider.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:43 AM   #9
notanlines

Good thoughts all! I am leaning on Bob's suggestion concerning the tires. I would like to see two things: LT tires on both vehicles and your actual scale weights.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:35 PM   #10
busterbrown

Just my opinion but I would be inclined to choose the Tahoe for just the gearing alone along with a very good WDH with sway control. The 3.08 on the Silverado is going to be searching for gears on any hills and won't be fun. You didn't disclose information on each vehicle's model year or transmission. A 4 speed mated to a 3.08 rear end will just scream on the hills, especially as you approach any mountains. A 8 speed tranny will help with the smaller gearing.

If the Tahoe is setup properly with sway control and tongue weight, you should find the climbs much more relaxed. If your trailer was longer than 30 feet, I'll be on the longer wheelbase team. But at around 27 feet and under 6K lbs, the Tahoe is capable of pulling it. An Equilizer 4pt hitch would be my choice for sway control.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:06 AM   #11
{tpc}

I'd probably "try" the silverado, just so I know how it works, but if everything is setup for the Tahoe, you will likely need to be able to make adjustments to the hitch.

That said, you will benefit from a second friction sway bar on the other side, when pulling with the Tahoe, for that matter probably with the silverado as well.

Even with the longer wheelbase, I don't feel that is going to save you from being pushed around by the bigger trucks. Maybe with the second friction bar, but not just the wheelbase alone. Just a feeling though, as I have nothing to compare it to at this point in time.

For me, with my tahoe, pulling almost the same unit, the second friction bar was a big improvement. Enough for my wife to even comment on. I also have found that if safe, moving over a little in the lane away from the semi's that are passing (or that I am passing), is very helpful to negate some of the "pushing" effect.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:02 PM   #12
PopBeavers

My first RV was a 20 foot TT weighing 4100 pounds wet and loaded. I started out towing it with a Silverado 1500HD crew cab short bed. Later on I upgraded to a GMC 2500HD crew cab long bed.

The extra length made a big difference in "porpoising". The improvement in towing was much more than I had expected.

I am a fan of long wheel bases in the truck.
Transfer Flow aux. fuel tank in tool box
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:28 PM   #13
Bama Hammer

And TPC thanks for the advice. Will pursue a second friction bar in the short run. Great idea!
Old 04-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #14
Hodgy

I never thought of using a second friction sway bar. Good thinking out of the box.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:25 PM   #15
Bama Hammer

Update after a couple months of towing. Vastly better sway control with the Silverado. Amazing how a longer wheelbase can improve the control.

To answer some questions above the Silverado has D load range tires while the Tahoe has C. Total weight of Silverado and trailer was 11,100.

BUT, just got back from a trip through South Dakota and the Black Hills. I really missed the power from the Tahoe. Silverado was struggling to pull the grades without overheating tranny. Even had to stop once to let it cool down. Only able to make about 25-30 mph going up the mountains. Hate to say it but it looks like I will be going back to the Tahoe simply due to the power issue. In the end will probably be saving up for a new truck. Hope folks can learn from my mistakes!
Old 06-11-2018, 04:39 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Hammer View Post
Update after a couple months of towing. Vastly better sway control with the Silverado. Amazing how a longer wheelbase can improve the control.

To answer some questions above the Silverado has D load range tires while the Tahoe has C. Total weight of Silverado and trailer was 11,100.

BUT, just got back from a trip through South Dakota and the Black Hills. I really missed the power from the Tahoe. Silverado was struggling to pull the grades without overheating tranny. Even had to stop once to let it cool down. Only able to make about 25-30 mph going up the mountains. Hate to say it but it looks like I will be going back to the Tahoe simply due to the power issue. In the end will probably be saving up for a new truck. Hope folks can learn from my mistakes!
Have you considered changing out the diff to a better towing ratio? It would be a lot more economical, unless of course you need a reason to buy a new truck!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #17
Wireman134

Quote:

A SUV might not have the payload capacity as it has a heavier curb weight. Before you decide look at payload capacity on door pillar. Drive train being equal truck will have longer wheel base and higher payload capacity to absorb hitch weight and all passengers/cargo in bed
Wireman134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:04 AM   #18
{tpc}

I feel like the biggest difference between the two vehicles has to be gear ratio, not necessarily "power". But a quick google lead to some complaints on certain silverados with the 5.3 and 3.08 ratio that had to do with a lack of power.

How hot did the tranny get? Do you have the auxiliary trans cooler that mounts up front directly in front of the radiator? I believe all of these trucks have a built in trans cooler, but not all have the additional one up front, which is a huge help.

Also note that because the built in cooler is cooled by the engine coolant, if your engine temps start climbing above 210, your trans temp is going to climb as well. Thats is why I think having the additional cooler up front is such a big help because that is being cooled by direct airflow.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:20 AM   #19
Bama Hammer

Yeah, I reckon it's wrong to say power in that instance. It simply is the gearing causing problems. Both vehicles have the heavy duty oil cooler but no additional tranny cooler. Pulled over to rest when tranny hit 230.

Would love to change out the diff, but with it being a 4x4 would require the front end to be done as well. That puts a big price tag on a truck that's only worth about 10k.. So good reason to get a "new to me" truck!
Old 06-11-2018, 08:10 AM   #20
{tpc}

Quote:
Yeah, I reckon it's wrong to say power in that instance. It simply is the gearing causing problems. Both vehicles have the heavy duty oil cooler but no additional tranny cooler. Pulled over to rest when tranny hit 230.

Would love to change out the diff, but with it being a 4x4 would require the front end to be done as well. That puts a big price tag on a truck that's only worth about 10k.. So good reason to get a "new to me" truck!
You can pick up the OEM additional tranny cooler for right around $100 I would guess, at least I think thats what I paid way back when. Comes with transmission lines and everything, but the lines will be hard lines. It is, without a doubt, a royal pita to fish a hard, pre-bent tranny line from the front to the back of the truck or vice versa. Even more fun is trying to connect them on the top of the tranny by feel, since you can't see up there.

Probably worth every penny of having it done at the dealer. Satisfying to do it yourself and save some $$ but I would plan on a weekend spent, or least a full day.

Will drop your tranny temps by about 25-30 degrees. I would have stopped around 230 myself, maybe earlier.

Tags
silverado