Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2018, 09:14 AM   #21
RoscoeV

The information in the link states 1,276 Keystone models being recalled. That is probably in the neighborhood of .005% of what they built and more than likely one or two shipments of axles to their plants. It also didn't state if these were built in Indiana or Oregon. Definitely Dexter or Lippert QA dropped the ball on this one and will pick up the cost of the recall.

I have a 2019 Laredo and put over 1500 miles on it traveling at average speeds of 68mph so I feel comfortable that mine isn't on that list. It's in storage for the winter so I'll wait and see if I get a notice and will also inspect the bearings next spring.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #22
ChuckS

Another compounding issue with these axles is dealerships are touting the EZ lube system and most new owners have not a clue.

These axles come pre assembled with bare minimum grease packed into bearings.

The EZ lube method is not used during assembly. This can be verified by yanking off a hub and you will see there is no geese in the cavity well

Then owner just pumps in a few strokes and thinks it’s good to go for 12K miles.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #23
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Maybe the line was moving too fast and Jacob missed the odd race and Aaron didn't notice when inserting the bearing because it was already 10 minutes to 4 and washup is at 15 minutes to 4. Just a theory.
What do you mean 10 to 4? There's not a soul in site at most of the factories by 10 after noon!! If you happen to drive by at 10 to 12 you better pull off out of the way or get ran over.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #24
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
What do you mean 10 to 4? There's not a soul in site at most of the factories by 10 after noon!! If you happen to drive by at 10 to 12 you better pull off out of the way or get ran over.
OK Danny now I know why we saw so many signs on the road in that area of Indiana warning of horses and buggies. A bit like our Calgary Stampede Chuckwagon races but going in a straight line.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #25
C.LeeNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
That's a cheap design to manufacture that goes back, in my experience, to at least my long gone 1979 Mustang. That Mustang and the '86 that followed it used the exact same bearing part number that Dexter uses in their failure prone 42mm NevrLube 5.2/6K axles. I replaced the axles in both Mustangs (same bearings) as well as the NevrLube axles in our SOB 5er(went to E-Z Lube on that 5er)
It's been a while since I've worked on the axle of my Jeep, I'm pretty sure I'm remembering correctly that it's a Dana 35...I went through a a few bearings over about a five year period, and had to replace the axle shaft two or three times. (On time heat from friction resulted in setting the differential lube on fire..that was a good one!) I, and a few other knowledgeable Jeep folk, were pretty sure I had a bent axle tube. I was searching for a new housing, then, after the last repair, it just stopped giving me trouble for some reason. It's been probably 60,000 miles or better since then, without a hitch. Weird!
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:19 PM   #26
itat

Maybe I missed it but I didn’t see anything in the article at that link that suggested who the axle manufacturer was. Is there another source for info that states who manufactured the recalled axles?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:01 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

The information about which axles are involved probably won't be published in the "owner notification letter". Typically, that info is only in the "internal documents" such as repair instructions, reporting instructions, authorization certification, etc. From the information I have, the axles involved in the Jayco recall and in the Grand Design recall are the Dexter 44 axle line. That's the Dexter 4400 pound axle which is installed in "a lot" of xlite and ultralight trailers from all RV manufacturers.

You can find some of the information on the Jayco recall here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V618-5137.pdf

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:57 AM   #28
C.LeeNick

Looks like Keystone has put out the axle recall information:

https://www.keystonerv.com/media/914...ng-cup-web.pdf
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:05 AM   #29
MarkEHansen

I noticed they listed Cougar 26RBS, but not 26RBSWE. I know the WE is just for Western Edition, but in another recall letter (for the Capital Grill) it listed both 26RBS and 26RBSWE. Do we know if the Lippert recall include both W and non-W editions?
MarkEHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:07 AM   #30
MarkEHansen

Also, I noticed these recalls list serial numbers - but I didn't know my trailer had a serial number (just a VIN). Where is this serial number located (2019 Cougar 26RBSWE)?
MarkEHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:17 AM   #31
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Also, I noticed these recalls list serial numbers - but I didn't know my trailer had a serial number (just a VIN). Where is this serial number located (2019 Cougar 26RBSWE)?
VIN is the serial number.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:46 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I noticed they listed Cougar 26RBS, but not 26RBSWE. I know the WE is just for Western Edition, but in another recall letter (for the Capital Grill) it listed both 26RBS and 26RBSWE. Do we know if the Lippert recall include both W and non-W editions?
Quote:
As a matter of housekeeping, the recall is for DEXTER axles. LIPPERT is not involved in any way (at this time). This is a "Keystone Recall of Dexter axles"... It is not a "Lippert Recall".... No criticism, just making sure things are kept "in the realm of what they are for clarity to keep future confusion to a minimum"....

As for whether "W" and "non-W" models are included, if you look at the VIN, if the last 8 numbers are not on the list in the recall notification, then apparently those "other models" don't have Dexter axles installed. It "may be" (just a WAG) that the WE models might all have Lippert axles, so none of them would be included. Then again, they may all be included, if they have Dexter axles. The VIN/serial number is the key to making that determination.

Typically, the VIN is the serial number. On most situations, the VIN is a 17 digit number assigned to the vehicle. It denotes the manufacturer, make, year, and other specific details about the vehicle. The last 8 numbers are usually referred to as the "vehicle unique serial number. Of those 8, the first is the year, the second is the plant (assembly line) and the final 6 are the sequential production number of the vehicle. In Keystone's VIN, those 8 numbers indicate the year and the location of the plant/line followed by your "serial number". However, for all "intents and purposes" the VIN is commonly referred to as the "serial number".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-23-2018, 09:06 AM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.LeeNick View Post
Looks like Keystone has put out the axle recall information:

https://www.keystonerv.com/media/914...ng-cup-web.pdf
This is "somewhat off topic" but I noticed that Keystone is managing the recall for the Atlas and Aero-lite trailers which are manufactured by Dutchman. There has been a "management arrangement" for several years in which Keystone oversees the Dutchman plant. No surprises there.

What I do find very surprising is the last line of trailers in the recall notice letter. The SUNSET trailer line is produced by Crossroads RV, an affiliate of Redwood RV. Both Keystone and Redwood RV are "owned by THOR" until this recall, I've never seen Keystone manage or address anything outside Dutchman and the Keystone brands. I wonder why Keystone is managing a recall of a Redwood/Crossroads trailer line ????? Is this a sign of changes inside THOR? changes for Keystone? Hmmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #34
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
This is "somewhat off topic" but I noticed that Keystone is managing the recall for the Atlas and Aero-lite trailers which are manufactured by Dutchman. There has been a "management arrangement" for several years in which Keystone oversees the Dutchman plant. No surprises there.

What I do find very surprising is the last line of trailers in the recall notice letter. The SUNSET trailer line is produced by Crossroads RV, an affiliate of Redwood RV. Both Keystone and Redwood RV are "owned by THOR" until this recall, I've never seen Keystone manage or address anything outside Dutchman and the Keystone brands. I wonder why Keystone is managing a recall of a Redwood/Crossroads trailer line ????? Is this a sign of changes inside THOR? changes for Keystone? Hmmmmmm
Thor has consolidated Crosroads/Redwood under the Keystone umbrella for whatever reason. I know for a fact it was a bad move for Redwood owners as to warranty claims.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:58 AM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Thor has consolidated Crosroads/Redwood under the Keystone umbrella for whatever reason. I know for a fact it was a bad move for Redwood owners as to warranty claims.
That consolidation "mirrors" what THOR did with Keystone and Dutchman a few years back. It may be a way to reduce management costs (consolidate plants under one <not two> management teams)...

What's interesting is that Keystone is managing the Redwood recall on Sunset trailers. Unless, there's more "management consolidation" that hasn't yet been publically announced by THOR ??????

ADDED: Looking at the corporate structure, I couldn't find anything that detailed the merge of Redwood/Cruiser with Keystone, but I did find that there is another recall of Volante/Cruiser awning switches (recalled in October 2017) in which the documentation was managed by Keystone. So apparently this isn't a "one time thing". Hmmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-23-2018, 04:19 PM   #36
Frank G

http://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defau...4.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Page 58. On page 58 there is the Dexter drawing of the Hub/bearing/axel assembly. If the rear bearing race is omitted the hub will be allowed to move back about 3/8". At this point the nut should jam against the axle shoulder, the brake hub will be against the brake shoes and the splash plate.

The rear race, bearing and seal would have been assembled on a machine never seeing human hands, Shame on there poor assembly equipment with no verification. The final assembly of the hub, outer bearing, washer and nut may have been done by hand but if the torque reached speck and gave a green light, it passed!

You would think the person installing the tires/rims on the assembly line would have caught it, guess not.

Just my thoughts.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, keystone, travel trailer