Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2013, 05:17 AM   #1
Irish Mt Boy

Best Weight Distribution hitch

What is the best Weight Distribution hitch out there? I am going to tow with my 2011 gmc sierra 1500 Z71 4x4 crew cab and the TT is a 2013 Cougar X-lite 28RBS
Irish Mt Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
f6bits

Your truck and trailer are pretty well matched up so sway isn't going to be much of an issue. I use the Equalizer. It's quick and easy once it's dialed in. The EQ and the Reese Dual Cam are both really good choices. Dual Cam is nice since it has centering detents which do even more to help minimize sway.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #3
E597283

I have heared alot about the Equilizer and plan to update this spring to the 1,200/12,000lb model for my 2007 Yukon Denali XL with by 2011 Passport 2910bh

2011 Keystone Passport 2910BH Ltd. Edition

2007 Yukon XL Denali, 6.2 liter
E597283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Getting into the "which hitch is best" is very much like getting into the "Which truck is best" kind of conversation. Nobody really wins, and most get offended somewhere during the conversation.

With the truck/trailer combination you've got, I'd think just about any "quality hitch" from a "reputable" manufacturer would do you justice. I'd initially steer away from the "upper engineering" hitches like Hensley since they are very expensive and you probably don't need that kind of sway control. Most hitches are made to perform well with a reasonably well matched tow vehicle/trailer combination, which is what you have. An add-on friction sway control is probably all you'll need to dampen the "bow wave" from passing trucks.

My recommendation would be a reasonably priced weight distribution hitch system that you can get service and parts for (although you'll probably never need them) in your local area. If you're buying the trailer and the dealer has a specific line of hitches that he sells and services, then that may be a good choice if the price is about the same as you can find the same hitch for sale at an online dealer.

I would recommend that you stay away from the budget hitches at places like Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply. They may be a "good hitch" but trying to find someone to help you with a problem would be a tough battle.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
warsw

The last hitch I bought for the TT we had was a "Blue Ox" SwayPro. Best hitch I have ever owned. Easiest hitch on the planet to set up, works seamlessly, no problem with backing up and absolutely no sway or noise. It seems so simple you wonder how it could work so well but it does.

http://www.blueox.com/p-1181-swaypro.aspx
Old 03-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
Little Guy

WD hitch

I have tons of tow miles over long distances and of all the hitches that I have used over the years, I really like the Equal-I-Zer brand. Once you get this installed and set-up, you are good to go. Great weight distribution and sway control. It is very easy to hook up, especially if you have a power tongue jack.
I have not had any need for air bags as this hitch works perfectly. I tow a 34' TT at 8800# wet with my Chev 2500.
That being said, there are lots of quality hitches out there that all work well and may come down to personal preference, service and parts availability.
Good luck and happy travels.
2012 Laredo 294RK TT "Larry"
'09 Chevy 2500HD Crewcab, 6.0L vortec (gas)
*Wishin' for a diesel*
Equal-I-Zer sway control hitch

Life is good!
Little Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
SteveC7010

Reese WD with Dual Cam Sway Control
Equalizer
Blue Ox SwayPro

Three good choices. No clear winner.

I am not a fan of the friction bar sway controllers. They're finicky to adjust properly so they'll actually work, and they need to be set and adjusted every time you hook up. There is also a lot of debate on whether or not they are even effective on trailers longer than 21' or so. No clear answer on that, BTW. And they should be loosened before backing up which is another "thing to remember" every time you maneuver the rig.

I like the Reese DC best because of the strong detent action that uses the tongue weight to stop sway before it starts. Once it is installed and adjusted, there's no further adjusting needed. Just take the same number of links each time that you hook up and off you go.

The Equalizer and Blue Ox rate about equally in my view. The sway control is more based on friction or spring action and they are both "set and forget" as long as you hook up the same way each time.

I still have a complete Reese WD system less the DC part. If we ever move from a fiver back to a standard TT, I'd just pickup the DC kit and heavier trunnion bars.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Getting into the "which hitch is best" is very much like getting into the "Which truck is best" kind of conversation. Nobody really wins, and most get offended somewhere during the conversation.

With the truck/trailer combination you've got, I'd think just about any "quality hitch" from a "reputable" manufacturer would do you justice. I'd initially steer away from the "upper engineering" hitches like Hensley since they are very expensive and you probably don't need that kind of sway control. Most hitches are made to perform well with a reasonably well matched tow vehicle/trailer combination, which is what you have. An add-on friction sway control is probably all you'll need to dampen the "bow wave" from passing trucks.

My recommendation would be a reasonably priced weight distribution hitch system that you can get service and parts for (although you'll probably never need them) in your local area. If you're buying the trailer and the dealer has a specific line of hitches that he sells and services, then that may be a good choice if the price is about the same as you can find the same hitch for sale at an online dealer.

I would recommend that you stay away from the budget hitches at places like Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply. They may be a "good hitch" but trying to find someone to help you with a problem would be a tough battle.
So true. These "what's the best..." threads never really yield much information besides what individual owners like and very often that particular piece equipment is "liked" because that is what happens to be in use at the time and few people want to spend money to replace what works for them regardless of what they have read or heard.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
Irish Mt Boy

Guys Thanks for all of your input on weight distribution hitches, Its going to be fun to learn all there is to in the RV world.
Irish Mt Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
fla-gypsy

There are several proven designs as shown by the previous poster that are an integrated sway control/WD type hitches that work very well. I use the Reese HP Dual Cam and have had excellent results with it.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
arcticcatred

I can't tell if mine is the best but works very well and will definitely work with our front cap design. My tv is a 2006 chevy 1500 z71 short bed, my tt is a 2012 keystone cougar xlite 24 rls. I bought the reese sc hitch I believe I bought the 1200 lb one. It was very easy to install and set up. what's nice about it, it has built in sway control plus equalizing control.

2014 Redwood 38rl black & silver
Cougar Xlite 24 RLS "SOLD"
2014 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3 4x4 3.42 ext cab
arcticcatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
SkyPiGG

I have a very similar truck/trailer combo, and have had much success with the Fastway E2 hitch. It's a mid-range friction bar hitch, similar to Equalizer. The only drawback to the friction hitches is that they are noisy. Once you get used to it though, it's no big deal.
SkyPiGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #13
wbatto

Equlizer is what I used to use

I towed a 2010 297 RET with a Toyota Tundra and never had a problem with sway. The camper was 35' and weighed around 9500 loaded. I liked the equlizer as it was easy to hook-up after you have it adjusted. It makes alot of noise kreaking mostly. After a couple hundred miles you get used to it Lol
wbatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
Tom N OH

My backside would be creaking with a 9500# trailer behind a Tundra.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:58 AM   #15
Inherentwired1

I use the new equalizer with 4 point anti-sway ....and it works!!! Set up is easy, and I've never had so little sway before.
Inherentwired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:14 AM   #16
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N OH View Post
My backside would be creaking with a 9500# trailer behind a Tundra.
Same here and I'm a Tundra fan. I pulled an Outback 277RL, around 8000 lbs, with one and never had an issue, but in spite of the fact that Toyota rates it to tow 10,000, and it is a very capable tow vehicle, I always felt I was at about the top of the comfort range with what I was towing.
I've since traded for a F250 and will take the first trip with it next weekend. BTW, I traded tot Tundra to get more payload, not because it wouldn't pull my trailer. By 1/2 ton truck standards, it's a stump puller.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #17
chris199

Agreed on Tundra. Still towing with my 2012 DoubleCab 5.7 V8. 4.3 rear and overall hp and torque is better than the GMC/Chevy 2500HD Vortec. (And I am a huge GMC fan...)

Payload is definitely the issue. There is no way, if hitch is typically 15% of gross trailer weight, that you could put 1500 lb on the hitch and have anyone else in the cab or in the bed. Therefore....no way to really tow 10,000 lb.

It does a great job towing our Cougar 29REV BUT I wouldn't go any heavier.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #18
jimmyv13

I started my RV experience with an '07 Expedition towing my '08 Springdale with this:

I got about 400 miles from home and I snapped a round bar turning into a parking lot. Very little if any elevation change from the road to the lot...no sharp turn, just an easy turn and the bar snapped right at the curve or bend. I limped it to the nearest RV repair facility and they said they've never seen anything like it. They asked why I went with the round bar instead of the trunnion bar. I didn't know there was much of a difference, but those guys said they only use round bars for lighter trailers and and go with trunnion bars for trailers over 7K lbs. They set me up with the exact same system except with trunnion bars. I've had no issues ever since. I have traded in the Expy for a diesel 3/4 ton and towing is a breeze. I don't recall feeling anything difference between the two towing systems, but that trailer really moved the Expy around when passing or being passed, hence the upgrade to a bigger tow vehicle.

This is what I'm running now...pic is just for reference, not my tow vehicle or trailer.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #19
Kettleby_Cruiser

Equalizer 1,200/12,000 lbs WD unit

I'm set up with an Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lbs model and works great so far !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Equal-i-zer Hitch.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	3040  

Kettleby Cruisers
2010 F150 Lariat SCrew 4x4, 5.4L
2013 Keystone Cougar XLite 28RBS
2011 Rockwood 2317G
2000 Jayco Quest 29E
Kettleby_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:50 AM   #20
Newmark86

It seems like you got a real good Trailer/Truck combo. but the first thing you gotta figure out before you start looking for a weight distribution hitch is your GTW and your tongue weight. Once you have that, you can figure out what WDH is good for you. also, I personally asked the guys at hitchanything.com and etrailer for help choosing mine. You can also hit up a store like camping world if you want, but most of those guys are salesmen, so always get a second opinion before you buy from a physical store. This was one of the first pages I found about weight distribution hitches when I first started Rving. http://www.hitchanything.com/Weight-...tch-guide.html
hope it helps you or anyone else.
Newmark86 is offline   Reply With Quote