Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #1
Campy

Draining water heater when not using camper

Should I drain the water heater when I'm not using the camper? It's been inside storage since July 13th and will not be used again till Sept. 23. Curious if it's good practice to drain it every time were done? It's a Suburban water heater with a steel tank.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #2
limit4

I had a bad experance once when I forgot to drain the hot water heater. Terrible odor in the water pipes. So i drain every time.I think the length of time you are talking about it would be best to do so.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I'm just the opposite. I don't drain mine between trips. Maybe your odors are caused by poor water quality.

My water heater has had the same water in it for months at a time.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy View Post
Should I drain the water heater when I'm not using the camper? It's been inside storage since July 13th and will not be used again till Sept. 23. Curious if it's good practice to drain it every time were done? It's a Suburban water heater with a steel tank.
I don't drain mine until it's time to winterize in the fall. The water system gets the usual cleaning with bleach in the spring. The only water that gets into the system is our own city water here at the house and campground water. Since we have camped exclusively at state parks, their water is known to be well chlorinated and tested daily. No sulfur or other odor causing agents are to be found.

When you return from a trip, it may help to fill your fresh water tank about a quarter of the way full and add a 1/4 cup of bleach. (Disconnect or shut off any city water hookup.) Then run the water from all hot and cold taps using the pump. Run the hot longer to make sure enough of the bleach water gets into the tank to have an effect. You'll only have to run each cold tap for a half minute or so to replace the water in the tubing and pipes. It'll take a few minutes to get enough on the hot side into the water heater and then on to the down stream pipes. Did I mention that you don't need to have the water heater running?

Bleach solutions weaken in water over a period of just a few weeks so you should not have any strong bleach odor to contend with when you are ready to use the camper. If you do, just drain the fresh water tank so you don't add any more residual chlorine to the system, and the flush everything with fresh water. Here you can use city water if you like.

If campground water is suspect, I have an inline water filter that I can hookup to the city water connection or on the fill line for the fresh water holding tank. I use a filter element that contains activated charcoal that pulls odor and some methyl-ethyl-bad stuff from the water. It also gets all the sediment. This way, only reasonably clean and odor free water gets into the trailer's systems.

If you decide to use a filter, place at the supply end, not the trailer end of your hose. That way, you're protecting the hose as well as the trailer's tanks and pipes. (Same rule applies for pressure reducers!)

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:54 AM   #5
{tpc}

I leave my hot water tank full as well until its time to winterize. Haven't had an issue yet.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
14george

I don't drain mine take out at least once a month
Old 07-28-2015, 02:11 PM   #7
Pull Toy

I do not drain until winterization. All of the campgrounds that we use either chlorinate/fluoridate, or UV sanitize their water supply, and I'd trust that over air bourn pollutants/biology in an empty water tank. I'm also not willing to risk cross threaded fittings any more often than needed. In the old days, tanks had a petcock style drain, instead of a plug and anode. The anode (aka sacrificial zinc) sometimes makes threading the plug back in a tricky thing.

If you do decide to drain... make sure drain plug is back in, and be sure to re-flood tank and burp lines prior to WIFEY turning on water heater switch! OOPS!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:59 PM   #8
GaryWT

We camp every weekend or at least every other weekend so we do not drain it. If I was going 2 months without a trip, other than total withdrawal I would consider flushing it out before using it.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:01 PM   #9
bmach

Never between trips

Only drain it come winter.
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #10
KanTC

Drain ours after every trip -but- we have hard water [heavy mineral deposits] & triple digit summer temps.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:16 PM   #11
hoffbrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanTC View Post
Drain ours after every trip -but- we have hard water [heavy mineral deposits] & triple digit summer temps.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
Ditto for me too.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:06 PM   #12
Bolter303

I drain ours after every trip. However I deal with hard water and heat as well. The trailer in stored in AZ.

Don
Las Vegas NV
2015 Montana 3710FL
Ford F350 CC DRW
Bolter303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:54 AM   #13
{tpc}

Not that it matters but just in case, not every tank has a anode type deal in it. Mine doesn't, and I don't think you could add one if you wanted to because of where the plug is located.

Either way I don't think it would change my draining habits any.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:31 PM   #14
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
We camp every weekend or at least every other weekend so we do not drain it. If I was going 2 months without a trip, other than total withdrawal I would consider flushing it out before using it.
I took the rod out because it was deteriorating , I installed a 1/2 inch ball valve. We use ours a lot but now I'm just kicking back at home for 2 months, ill drain it easy with a twist of a handle.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:39 PM   #15
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I took the rod out because it was deteriorating , I installed a 1/2 inch ball valve. We use ours a lot but now I'm just kicking back at home for 2 months, ill drain it easy with a twist of a handle.

The rod is supposed to deteriorate and be replaced. If the rod isn't there, what will be deteriorating instead is your tank. The rod is intended to be sacrificial to save the tank components.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:07 PM   #16
PerryB

What he said!! ^^^ The rod is there for a reason. As far as draining, if the trailer is going to be sitting for more than a couple weeks, I drain the entire system. Fresh tank, lines and heater.

Denver, what do you fly for pleasure? I have a Supercub.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:20 PM   #17
Festus2
Site Team

If you have a steel-lined Suburban water heater then it needs an anode to prevent the lining from being "eaten" by an electro-chemical reaction in the water tank. The anode acts as a "sacrificial lamb" so instead of the tank lining corroding, the anode takes its place.

Some aluminum-lined tanks, such as the Atwood, do not need an anode.

If you have taken yours out and the tank is steel-lined, you should replace the anode or you could be looking at buying a new water tank.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #18
Ittle Dew Too

I have an annode rod with a drain valve in it. The night before we leave the campround, I turn off the water heater and turn off the switch outside under the outside cover to prevent accidentally turning it on with no water in it.

In the morning when it has cooled down, I drain the tank. I also drain the low point drains and the fresh drain if it was used before putting it away. I never know how soon the next trip might or might not be.

Overkill I know, but no water in the system means no water to leak or go foul.
Ittle Dew Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:07 AM   #19
KSH

I open up the hot and cold drains on the bottom of the camper. Does that drain the hot water tank as well?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:10 AM   #20
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
I open up the hot and cold drains on the bottom of the camper. Does that drain the hot water tank as well?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
I open my COLD water low point drain and the pressure relief valve on my Atwood water heater to drain it. Not intuitive, but it works. Also replaced the low point drain caps with valves to make it easier.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote