Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2019, 04:19 PM   #1
BamaRam

Differential temp?

I do not have a temp sensor on my differential. For peace of mind I shoot the cover, as well as hubs, with my IR temp gun at fuel stops when I’m towing.

The cover has consistently read 190-198, depending on how I place the red dot, and ambients of 60-75*

For those of you who have temp sensors installed, or have experience with IR, what temps do you see when towing?
BamaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

We're going to both learn something here if there is a "differential temp sensor". I've never heard of one but there's a first time for everything.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:22 PM   #3
BamaRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We're going to both learn something here if there is a "differential temp sensor". I've never heard of one but there's a first time for everything.
They are usually added and displayed on the monitor/tuner of choice. I can add one to Edge if I cough up the $$$.
BamaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:10 PM   #4
ADQ K9

The gauges are comon on Class 8 big trucks. Which is funny in my application where the speed limit is 35 there are no hills and the ambient temp is below freezing 1/2 the year. The gauge starts at 150 and I have never seen it move above that on the Pete that I drive.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:24 AM   #5
Frank G

All you need to know about DIFF covers.

https://youtu.be/5_Jamg2gpgk

Banks posted a series of U-Tube videos on th subject, they are interesting and informative. Basically your stock cover is designed and preforms well.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #6
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
All you need to know about DIFF covers.

https://youtu.be/5_Jamg2gpgk

Banks posted a series of U-Tube videos on th subject, they are interesting and informative. Basically your stock cover is designed and preforms well.
Did they ever develop one of their own, or just show how the aftermarket ones don't work?

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:13 PM   #7
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Did they ever develop one of their own, or just show how the aftermarket ones don't work?
I beleave they did. I am not an aftermarket person, would never pay $$$ for a fancy cover.

After watching the 3 Video's I did learn a lot on how the differential lubricates itself and how overfilling is not the thing to do. It was mentioned several times that the OEM diff covers were superior to the aftermarket covers. It was noted that Chevrolet (GMC) and RAM share the same differential manufacture and the high output models have went to a finned cover to promote cooling. As the man said, the power developed up front flows through the differential.

Sorry I did not answer the OP's original question, but it is evident the manufacture feels it must not be necessary to monitor temperature.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:18 PM   #8
travelin texans

To me a TPMS with pressure & temp would be of much more use than monitoring diff temps. And if not already monitored would be trans temp.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:06 PM   #9
IMASAP

Quote:
Banks has designed one and has applied for a patent on it. I have seen nothing on when it might hit the market.
IMASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:57 PM   #10
BamaRam

The reason I became concerned is that prior to my trip to the Rockies last summer, I changed diff fluid and repainted the cover. Didnt think about it again until I got home in October. Checked under the truck and noticed the paint had peeled off the cover. I assumed it was from heat. After doing research on some of the truck forums I found hat the Lucas brand of oil I used is known to cause foam. When I checked the fill plug hole with a bright light, I could see a lot of foam in there.

I've since changed the oil to Mobile 1 and have found various ideas on what the diff temps should be. I've read several post that say no more than 100*> ambient. But those were just random people on the internet. What do they know?

Not sure if I could do anything more about it if it was overheating, based on Banks info.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:11 AM   #11
notanlines

'Not sure if I could do anything more about it' I believe you are possibly worrying about something that you couldn't do anything about even if you thought it was too hot. Why would the gear lube supplied by a multi-billion dollar corporation, designed by engineers with more degrees than the Gobi Desert, not be sufficient?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:49 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRam View Post
The reason I became concerned is that prior to my trip to the Rockies last summer, I changed diff fluid and repainted the cover. Didnt think about it again until I got home in October. Checked under the truck and noticed the paint had peeled off the cover. I assumed it was from heat. After doing research on some of the truck forums I found hat the Lucas brand of oil I used is known to cause foam. When I checked the fill plug hole with a bright light, I could see a lot of foam in there.

I've since changed the oil to Mobile 1 and have found various ideas on what the diff temps should be. I've read several post that say no more than 100*> ambient. But those were just random people on the internet. What do they know?

Not sure if I could do anything more about it if it was overheating, based on Banks info.

If you are extremely worried about the heat I suppose you could buy an aftermarket diff cover that held more fluid with additional fins. In my experience I've not seen or heard of them doing anything much.

On the other hand, if the peeling paint is your concern I would suspect you have no concern at all. What's the diff cover made of? Aluminum or ? How did you prepare the metal? What kind of paint?

I have seen paint jobs on various metals bubble and peel when not applied properly. Add a "little" heat to help speed up the process and "voila", peeled paint on a diff cover.... That's what I'm leaning toward.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:27 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

There are many "systems" on a modern truck that get extremely hot and aren't "monitored by gauges". For instance, the piston/ring/cylinder wall, the turbine bearings, the ECG/EGR moving parts, the brake discs, the wheel bearings, the intercooler temperature just to name a few.

I'd be much more concerned with keeping my eyes on the road in front of my 10 ton rig when towing at 65 MPH on a busy highway with cars/trucks passing within 3' of me. There's precious little time to "gaze around the gauges" and, putting things into perspective, if the differential hasn't "blown up yet" on a 2004 truck, I'd make a calculated best guess that it's not going to be an issue worth spending money to install a monitor system. Change the lube with "factory recommended oil" and worry about that crazy driver with a cell phone in one hand and a cheeseburger in the other. They, not the differential, is likely to cause more damage to your vehicle when towing..... JMHO, YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:55 PM   #14
retiredusps69

Drove class Eight trucks for over 40 years. Most had water,engine oil,Trans, Differential temp,turbo.Only ones I paid attention to was Water Temp And turbo. If the others read high you already had a problem and you most likely would hear noise (Growling) Turbo temp was always high from turning the injector the pumps up!!!You could burn a hole in the piston.And that was from running 80,000 lbs. Don't worry just Hammer Down !!!!
retiredusps69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:28 PM   #15
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredusps69 View Post
Drove class Eight trucks for over 40 years. Most had water,engine oil,Trans, Differential temp,turbo.Only ones I paid attention to was Water Temp And turbo. If the others read high you already had a problem and you most likely would hear noise (Growling) Turbo temp was always high from turning the injector the pumps up!!!You could burn a hole in the piston.And that was from running 80,000 lbs. Don't worry just Hammer Down !!!!
Tune up a 6.4 Ford and really burn pistons!

I lost top Radiator hose on a 600 Red Top and it shut down coming down of the top of Ochoco Grade. Talk about freaking out!

Getting ready to replace the rear Diff oil in my truck. I bought an aftermarket cover, might regret it who knows.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:37 AM   #16
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If you are extremely worried about the heat I suppose you could buy an aftermarket diff cover that held more fluid with additional fins. In my experience I've not seen or heard of them doing anything much.
Go to youtube and watch the Banks videos on Diff covers. I wouldn't go to an aftermarket cover after watching these (there are 3 vidoes to watch).

Just curious if Banks is going to actually make one of their own or not.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:32 PM   #17
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Go to youtube and watch the Banks videos on Diff covers. I wouldn't go to an aftermarket cover after watching these (there are 3 vidoes to watch).

Just curious if Banks is going to actually make one of their own or not.
I’ll be honest, and this isn’t a knock on Mr. Bank, I can appreciate what he has done, in the past, but he’s a businessman, he see an opportunity to make money, he will jump.

I’m not saying his methodology is wrong on temps etc, for me he just is, how do a say this, kinda behind the times.

He was big, and I mean big during the 7.3 powerstoke years. He and ATS were Gods. But he is kinda in the dust from my perspective. It’s just my thoughts, they mean nothing.

I like “bling” as he put it in his video. I miss wrenching on stuff for fun. I’ll admit, I like the look of the rear Diff cover I bought. Plus, it has a Drain plug, and a dipstick! It has a port for a temp sensor should I ever get completely freaky and decide to put one in.

Hope to get it out on when a I feel a bit better this weekend
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	698E8460-1DB4-4725-AC11-25A0E6C398A1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	21057   Click image for larger version

Name:	E7D8163D-D91F-4210-91FB-5D5BB8631737.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	21058  
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote