Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #1
alpha68

Question Springdale Mini: No Hot Water on City Water?

Hello all! First of all, I apologize if this question was already asked but I have searched extensively without success...

Total newbies to RV-ing, my wife and I purchased a less than 12 months used Springdale Mini.

On our first trip we camped at a State park with no water hookup. We filled the fresh water tank at the entrance and everything worked OK, including having hot water on demand.

Last weekend we went to a private campground, with water hookup (city water). I connected the hose into my "city water" inlet, and the entire water system worked fine, except that we had no hot water.

Is this normal for this small trailer, or is something wrong?

With the city water connected the fresh water tank did not fill, it seems that water was bypassing the fresh water. We tried with and without the water pump on, but still no hot water. The hot water tank remained empty and the heater was never firing up.

The manual talks about turning a valve to "water fill" but we don't have any such valve - I assumed the manual is generic, covering several different models and configurations. The only valve I could find was the bypass valve, which I assume it is for winterizing only.

Eventually I connected the water hose to the other inlet, to fill in the fresh water tank and presto, we had hot water in a few minutes (once the fresh water tank and the water heater tank filled).

Many thanks!
alpha68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

It would help if you listed the model number of the campser and make / model number of the hot water heater. The only difference in the plumbing from city water to tank is where the water is coming from, the hot water heater doesn't know the difference. I suspect that perhaps your water connection is in a convenience center and maybe your connecting to the winterization connection. Without further info I can't say for certain.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
alpha68

Thank you flybouy for the quick reply!

Trailer: 2018 Keystone Springdale Mini 1850FL.

Water Heater: SW6D Direct Spark Ignition

On the back of my trailer there are only 2 inlets, one for fresh water, the other for city water (see photo), so there isn't much to get wrong

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you again!

Old 08-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Let me ask to clarify; when you say there was no hot water, do you mean the faucet had water from both the hot and cold sides but the hot wasn't hot or was there no water coming out when you turned it to hot?

If you are getting cold water the HWH should be getting cold water to heat as well - especially if it was working from your fresh water tank. If you are getting water from both sides but it isn't hot you probably need to start looking into the water heater itself.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:45 PM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

When you hook up to the city water do the faucets and toilet work? Are you on gas, electric or both? How long did you let it heat up?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #6
alpha68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Let me ask to clarify; when you say there was no hot water, do you mean the faucet had water from both the hot and cold sides but the hot wasn't hot or was there no water coming out when you turned it to hot?

If you are getting cold water the HWH should be getting cold water to heat as well - especially if it was working from your fresh water tank. If you are getting water from both sides but it isn't hot you probably need to start looking into the water heater itself.
As far as I remember there was cold water coming out of the hot water faucet.

There was water available everywhere, toilet, sinks etc.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:13 PM   #7
alpha68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
When you hook up to the city water do the faucets and toilet work? Are you on gas, electric or both? How long did you let it heat up?
Everythink worked, just no hot water. Cold water coming out of the hot water faucet.

Our water heating is on propane.

The first night we left the city connection on, with the water pump OFF and the water heater ON, thinking that's what we were supposed to do. When we still had no hot water the next day, we first turned the pup ON and when we had no luck we finally filled the fresh water tank and the hot water started to run shortly after.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

As weird as it sounds (to me) your HWH only fills (and works) if you fill the fresh water tank. You said the manual referred to a "fill" valve. Are you sure there isn't something either around the pump or city fill inlet that would direct water to the HWH? I've not owned anything set up like that so I'm shooting in the dark...what do they call that? A WAG?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha68 View Post
Everythink worked, just no hot water. Cold water coming out of the hot water faucet.

Our water heating is on propane.

The first night we left the city connection on, with the water pump OFF and the water heater ON, thinking that's what we were supposed to do. When we still had no hot water the next day, we first turned the pup ON and when we had no luck we finally filled the fresh water tank and the hot water started to run shortly after.
Makes me think the hwh is connected to the switch for the pump. Stranger things have been found.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:49 PM   #10
Schmitty27

Mini water heater

Im heading similar issues, no hot water with city or with full tank...I get air out of the relief valve but no water..
I can find any bypass switch or valve...I opened every panel in the bathroom and sinks can find any thing.
Frustrating.. Just don't think they is any water in the he yank don't react to burn out the element
Schmitty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:10 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitty27 View Post
Im heading similar issues, no hot water with city or with full tank...I get air out of the relief valve but no water..

I can find any bypass switch or valve...I opened every panel in the bathroom and sinks can find any thing.

Frustrating.. Just don't think they is any water in the he yank don't react to burn out the element

Welcome to the forum.

Locate your water heater outside. Then go inside and find the same spot. There should be a panel that you can remove to access the backside of the heater. There will be at least one 1/4 turn valve and as many as three.

Cold in at the bottom, hot out at the top, and a line connecting the two. Water will flow in the direction of the valve handle, so turn it/them so that water goes in at the bottom and out at the top. Then either turn on the water pump or hook up to city water. Turn on the HOT faucet at the furthest sink, and let it run until you get steady stream of water. At that point you can turn in the electric or gas for the heater. Wait 15 minutes and you should have hot water.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:56 PM   #12
Schmitty27

Looking forward to the morning and give this a try
Thanks
Old 09-30-2018, 05:00 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha68 View Post
As far as I remember there was cold water coming out of the hot water faucet.

There was water available everywhere, toilet, sinks etc.
As far as the water heater is concerned it doesn't know the difference between city or tank water. The fw pump outlet connects just downstream of the city water inlet. A check valve on the pump keeps the city water from back flowing into the fw tank. Maybe it was coincidence? Have you used it since the post?
Old 09-30-2018, 05:39 AM   #14
Schmitty27

There is one switch on the cold water pipe T to the hot tank it was closed but as soon as I turned it on the pump ran and it started leaking...
Old 09-30-2018, 05:40 AM   #15
Schmitty27

Trying it today 9/30
Old 09-30-2018, 06:11 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitty27 View Post
There is one switch on the cold water pipe T to the hot tank it was closed but as soon as I turned it on the pump ran and it started leaking...
The valve you turned or the pump started leaking?
Old 09-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #17
Schmitty27

Valve but I think it only leaks when it's closed... Im Assuming I closed as the hot water faucet stopped running... So I know I have water in the tank. Just not getting hot... The b vent on the outside gets hot and I can hear the heater working just not getting the hot water...
I can't feel water running through the red pipe coming out of the hot water tank
Old 09-30-2018, 07:20 AM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

if you only have one valve the handle of the valve needs to be in line with the pipe that goes into the tank. have you opened a HOT faucet at a sink? If you did you may only get air for a while as it purges the air out and fills with water.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:30 AM   #19
wiredgeorge

When getting ready to camp with the Suburban SW6D water heat; first thing to do is ensure that the water heater tank is full. When you view the back of the tank you will note a cold in and hot out. There will also be a valve on a water line between these which needs to be turned in the direction of the hose to open the valve. Connect the city water connection. Behind your water inlet panel there are two pipes; one to the on-board tank and one direct to the rest of the trailer including the hot water tank. After the tank has a chance to fill, open the relief valve on the outside of the water heater and make sure water comes out. Then turn on the propane. Go into the trailer and you will have a rocker switch with a red light next to it marked hot water or something of the sort. Turn this on and you may actually be able to hear the igniter in the heater light depending on where you are in relation to the water heater. Once it is lit, the little red light will go out. Now wait a couple hours as it takes a bit for the hot water to heat. When you shower, be quick as you only have 6 gallons of hot water and a good practice is let the missus shower when she likes and you shower some other time after the hot water gets warm again. We have a SW6DE water heater which is the same as yours except we have an electric heating element to augment propane operation. Last time out, I didn't even turn the element on as there was enough water for two comfortable but fairly quick showers not taken back to back timewise.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #20
Schmitty27

Thanks for all the help, finally got the hot water running, last question ( I swear). Does the propane heater shut down once the water reaches a certain temp or does it continue to run on the propane.... With the water heater switch on inside..

Tags
springdale, water