Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2016, 05:18 PM   #1
Pinshooter

Wanna Be in Ohio

Hello Everyone,

The wife and I have been tent camping for thirty five years, and are just tired of packing and unpacking an entire campsite every time we want to relax for the weekend! We've decided to go for a camper for the next season, and have pretty much decided on a Keystone Hideout as our first, and probably only, camper choice. We like the look and features of the 25RKS, 26RLS and the new 28RKS models, and were hoping to finalize a decision before the big RV show in Cleveland this January. Any advice would be appreciated, as we are NOVICE Travel Trailer owners. For the most part, it's just the two of us in the camper, since the girls are grown now. But on occasion we expect a few guests to the campsite, especially if we have a new camper. Ohio will probably be our camp grounds of choice as we are HUGE fans of the State Parks here in the Buckeye State. They have a lot to offer if you just look around a little, and exploring the different parks is a lot of fun. The tow vehicle is a 2004 Ford F150 4X4, 5.4l V8 with a 9400 lb towing capacity. I also plan on using a Tekonsha P3 brake controller and a Reese weight Distribution Hitch. I'm a little shaky on setting up the P3, but I'm sure I can find some help once I lock down the trailer.

Thanks in advance for any help offered, and apologies for the mistakes I'm sure I'll make, I always do...

Pinshooter
Pinshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:43 PM   #2
CaptnJohn

Re: Wanna Be in Ohio

We bought a 35' 5er for the 2 of us! If company wants to sleep on the sofabed fine as I think they will not stay long!
I'm sure you will be happy with either of the 3 you choose. After the tent you will be in heaven. They put wheels on those 3 for a reason! There is so much more to see in the US than Ohio! I lived there and was overjoyed to leave for better weather. We live at the beach in an area that many come to spend the winter while we go to FL. This year we will stop and visit Savannah for a week on our way home. After we re-group we will head to Cajun country for a couple weeks and a few days in New Orleans. We will do that and more while you are snowed in with freezing temps. There are state parks and COE CGs in every state. Your new 2nd home has wheels,,, keep them turning and have fun.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:08 PM   #3
Tbos

Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. A friend has a Hideout and loves it. When you are finalizing your choice make sure you keep in mind your truck's gross combined weight rating too. Have fun and post pictures when you get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:43 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

to the forum and good luck on choosing a trailer.

Your 1/2 ton truck will be your limiting factor. The 28RKS will exceed all your load limits so it should be out. The 26 RLS will max your loads and the pin weight alone will probably put you over your payload. Of the 3 the 25RKS would be the only one that would give you any margin of safety and even then it has a dry hitch weight of 700 lbs. That will probably go up to close to 1000 lbs loaded - which brings in you payload. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:01 AM   #5
14george

Welcome to the fourm from W Va
Old 11-28-2016, 03:31 AM   #6
Pinshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
to the forum and good luck on choosing a trailer.

Your 1/2 ton truck will be your limiting factor. The 28RKS will exceed all your load limits so it should be out. The 26 RLS will max your loads and the pin weight alone will probably put you over your payload. Of the 3 the 25RKS would be the only one that would give you any margin of safety and even then it has a dry hitch weight of 700 lbs. That will probably go up to close to 1000 lbs loaded - which brings in you payload. Good luck.

Your comments got me to thinking, and checking the numbers more closely. I used a few formulas I found on line, and it looks like I really need to stay under 6k for a trailer empty weight. Preferably closer to 5k for more safety. Now I'm looking at the LHS series for less weight. While we prefer the Hideout, the Bullet line has one or two that are also appealing to us, and in the prefered weight class.

Thanks for the heads up. I think you just saved me some grief down the road. (Pun Intended).
Pinshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:42 AM   #7
DAN d

welcome from ma enjoy
DAN d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:20 AM   #8
Tbos

You may want to consider a Passport if there is a floor plan you like. They are lightweight too. I tow a 2810BHS with my 1/2 ton. I would not want to go heavier.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:01 PM   #9
SLIMSHADIE

Welcome to the forum.
We jumped straight from the tent to my current camper, 7 years ago. A little learning curve but so glad we did. Good choice in brake controller, also get a weight distribution with sway control. I have Reese's Strait Line and like it very well, Equalizer is a good one also. Back then there wasn't many out yet, but I'm sure there is now. I bought mine from etrailer.com. Use them for reference at least and they have some good videos on setting them up.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #10
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! Whatever you buy, enjoy it!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 03:00 PM   #11
larry337