Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2019, 03:17 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
From the video I can see they aren’t surge brakes. Just wondering where the magnets went!

Ha!! Probably wherever the drums and the rest of the piece parts disappeared to!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:48 PM   #22
larryflew

If the 1000 miles you say it needs to travel is for a permanent place it might be cheaper to ship it there.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:12 PM   #23
Ken / Claudia

I am looking at the bigger picture. It really needs more than drums and brakes. It needs every part replaced. The axles maybe pitted or rusted. You will need to figure out which parts you need. Best to take what you have to a parts place and let them figure what is the right parts. What a headache. Go get a 3500 lb axle assembly brand new with new bearing, brakes and axle for 350 bucks from etrailer or what ever the axle rating is needed. Bolt it in place, connect the brake wires, put NEW tires on wheels and go. What about the springs/mounts/bushings for the axle if rusted up like the other parts you might need those to or you might have them fail on the 1,000 mile trip. If you have the tires off that trailer, throw them out now and buy new. I do not need to see them to tell you they will not make a 1,000 mile trip. No matter how good they look. Piecing parts together you need will be more than a new axle assembly with all new parts.
Example, I just purchased 1 wheel bearing set for a axle about that size, 40 bucks.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:08 AM   #24
gearhead

^^^What Ken said above.
This will likely be more expensive than you realize at this point.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:53 AM   #25
hankpage
Site Team

Another option is to Google an RV salvage yard in your area and see if you can get everything you need in one shot already assembled from the spring hangers to the ground. It may be worth a phone call.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:31 AM   #26
bobbecky

It doesn't look like springs or hangers are going to be an issue. This is a torsion suspension, and coming out of the pivot point on the left side of the brakes, it sure looks like a brake line instead of electric wires. It's too bad he didn't get a photo from lower to see what is between the shoes, like possibly a brake cylinder.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:47 PM   #27
Dadmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitFactor View Post
Yes that's true, the first link I posted will show you those.
I agree.
I've seen Dexter, full set, backing plates with all parts for under $200.00!
Just my 2 cents.
Good luck & let us know how you make out.
Dadmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:43 AM   #28
hornet28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
It doesn't look like springs or hangers are going to be an issue. This is a torsion suspension, and coming out of the pivot point on the left side of the brakes, it sure looks like a brake line instead of electric wires. It's too bad he didn't get a photo from lower to see what is between the shoes, like possibly a brake cylinder.
The adjustment wheel is what's between the shoes at the bottom
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post

Looking at the "line" going thru the grommet on the left side appears to be a 2 conductor wire (I think) with the little groove between the conductors. If so, it very well may have been worked on before. On a rig that old, and with that much neglect, I would think there would be some kind of residue or evidence that a brake cylinder was in place somewhere at some time....then again, it may have all just disappeared after being left for so long.... Whatever it is, the OP has a chore in front of them.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:38 AM   #30
Jagerk9

dexters

I replaced all four of my brake drums with new self adjusting Dexters from Etrailer. Also put on all new leaf springs all around. The cost of the parts was extremely reasonable..Also added the adjusting and absorbing center shackle hanger. The difference is huge! Before , i’d go over a train track and the whole trailer wouid feel it was disconnecting, now it’s really smooth. All new parts come with zirk fittings for grease. People don’t realize how much faster trailer tires have to spin to keep up with a larger truck tires. Keep them greased!!
Jagerk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:20 AM   #31
wmcclay

Stay away from the Stealers (dealers). Take the parts off and gotta trailer supply place. They look like 10 x 2 on a old q flex axle. When you buy decide whether you want to use the old wheels. If not buy 6 hole wheels. You have a lot more options for tire sizes. Backing plates hubs and drum should be about 100.00 per corner. Check your clearance between hub face and frame to buy the right wheels
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:18 AM   #32
jdl636

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Not knowing your situation or abilities, but if you have to pay someone to have all the work done it'll likely be more than the rv is worth. If you are able to do it it could be a fun, rewarding project.
Hopefully the rest of the rv was better taken care than the brakes & bearings, they appear to have had NO maintenance for most of their 14-15 years of life.
It appears the electro magnet has fallen out of the backing plate & stuck the frame & It all appears to have been under water. I would not try to salvage any of the parts pictured, new backing plates, new drums, new bearings/races/seals & would test the wiring to each wheel.
I'm not certain but I think the picture shows a torque tube axel suspension , not the brake magnet. The magnet is possibly missing as well.
jdl636 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes