Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #1
Pete A.

Red face Route help?

Traveling from NJ to western Canada/ Alaska... is it better to head north to Montreal and then go west or to stay in the states till the Dakota's and then start north....Retired, Got all the time that "plastic" can provide just want to get in as many sight as possible before it gets cold in the fall
Pete A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
fjr vfr

I would say 6 of one or half dozen of the other.
If you have all the time in the world, I'd consider the upper route and then dropping down by Winnipeg into the states and cutting back up after going through Glacier NP. You can then turn up towards Bailiff and take the Ice Field parkway up and catch the Alcan highway. Safe travels.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:40 PM   #3
Ksupaul

Go. North on the way out, south in the way back!! Sounds like a blast!!
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
Brentw

Never road travelled west of Manitoba, those that have , suggest staying south of border until at least Manitoba. Trek thru Ontario is supposedly one long drive.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:21 PM   #5
Cbrez

We traveled west to Idaho, then north into Alberta going to Alaska. Planned to return east through Canada to Thunder Bay, then drop down into the lower 48, but by Saskatchewan we’d had enough. Diesel prices were much higher than in the U.S., roads were not as good and there was very little scenery east of Calgary (similar to crossing the prairies in the U.S.). We did enjoy Calgary, Medicine Hat and Moose Jaw though.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:39 AM   #6
notanlines

Don't think for a minute that southern Minnesota and North/South Dakota are more scenic than Saskatchewan or Manitoba. Both are going to be a stretch for you. Once you have reached the Black Hills then things will change. Or once you reach Calgary things will change. Ontario roads are fine, but mostly two lane after Sudbury. Picture yourself cruising along in Ontario, green forests, blue water, no mosquitos (okay, I'm lying about the mosquitos), a Tim Hortons on every other corner. Or bouncing across northern Indiana, dead smoke stacks, pot holes and oh, yeah, toll booths on every other corner. And then Chicago to look forward to. We have travelled every province in Canada other than Nunavut many times. We will take the Canada route every time. I like the idea of Canada route going, US route returning.
Any chance of getting an invite?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:40 AM   #7
Northofu1

The 401 is a train wreck. When I come back from the US I always take 90 to Canadian border at Niagara Falls NY, I live on the East side of the Greater Toronto Area so Kingston ON / Watertown NY is closer, I would rather drive the extra hour each way. The drive along the 401 from Quebec to Detroit is brutal. Ontarian's are not good drivers.
Truckers like to pass up hill on the 2 lane portions of highway, and going through the core of Toronto is something I would never wish on anyone.
Montreal is a nice city though, one of my faves. I take Highway #7, it's a long and winding road, but calm and quaint at points. My daughter goes to university in Ottawa, I take that route to see her.
Toronto is the largest city in Canada, I like it, but I was born here. A few campsites in and around city if you want to spend time here.

The 400 Highway going North from Toronto is okay as long as you are not going up during rush hour (2:30 - 6:30 PM) It is quite scenic going into Northern Ontario as you head to the Trans - Canada Highway # 1

Good luck, have an awesome time, and a safe drive.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:54 AM   #8
Northofu1

"Don't think for a minute that southern Minnesota and North/South Dakota are more scenic than Saskatchewan or Manitoba. Both are going to be a stretch for you." From - Jim in Memphis.
If you've got the time and patience, going the Northern route is something I think you have to do once. You will either like it or never do it again. LOL
It's not the skeeters you have to worry about, it's the spring Blackflies or summer Deerflies.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:02 AM   #9
notanlines

Northofu, Kansans only THINK they grow a lot of wheat! I’ve never seen as much as west of Winnipeg. And it goes on for AWHILE!
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:33 PM   #10
Frank G

Travel from NJ to and through Chicago are all toll roads unless you take the secondary roads. A decade ago the State of Indiana sold the ITP to a privet firm and the roads are cxxp, and they raised the tolls. Those dead smoke stacks notanlines talked about are coming back to life. (hopefully with new scrubbers attached) You might want to stop at keystone as you pass through. Glacier national park is a must, but...you cannot take a camper over Going to the Sun road.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:07 AM   #11
Hodgy

I have lived in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba and travelled and camped in NW Ontario (that is anything West of Thunder Bay). I have not seen anything in all the comments that does not ring true.

Warm up your plastic to pay for gas up here, but the exchange rate will make you happy.

Beautiful scenery on the North side of the Great Lakes, Hwy 17 and Hwy 11 are two lane and in the summer with all of the RV's pack your patience. Mosquitoes and black flies could make your trip a memorable one, depending on the year it is.

The prairies either side of 49' look the same from Manitoba/North Dakota West until you get to the foothills of the Rockies. If you have never driven through fields of wheat, canola, oats and flax for 14 hours straight, it will be a experience.

Once into Montana or Alberta there are two ways to go North to Alaska, both beautiful. I have done them on my Goldwing not with the TT. I agree do Glacier/Waterton national parks. I have done the road to the sun three times on the Wing, beautiful. It usually does not open to traffic until July account of having to clear all the snow off of it. And there is a length restriction on what can travel on it.

From Glacier I would go North into Alberta and see Banff, Lake Louise and then take the
Icefields Parkway up to Jasper and then over into BC and on up to Alaska. The other option is to go West from Lake Louise into BC on Hwy 1 and then go North from Cashe Creek BC on Hwy
97 and on to Alaska. I have done both routes on my Goldwing.

I think that whatever route you take will be a adventure.

I live 1 hour East of Banff, drop me a line and maybe we can meet up on your way through if you come this way.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:17 AM   #12
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete A. View Post
Traveling from NJ to western Canada/ Alaska... is it better to head north to Montreal and then go west or to stay in the states till the Dakota's and then start north....Retired, Got all the time that "plastic" can provide just want to get in as many sight as possible before it gets cold in the fall

Be sure to compare fuel prices ( Liters va gal and CD$ ve US $)

I use Gasbuddy.com

Sights are different. I can offer some for Western Canada like the "cork screw railroad". PM me if interested
Old 01-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #13
linux3

Humm, you can't get there from NJ. The Great Lakes are in the way.
I would head over to I-81 North to I-90 West. Cross into Canada at Buffalo and QEW to Detroit.
I-75 North through the UP and cross back into Canada at The Sault. ON-17 and West.
Not real direct but good roads and the UP is worth seeing plus you avoid the mess that is Toronto and Hamilton traffic. The 401 in Canada is the busiest road in North America. Fact!
On the return it will add miles but save time if you travel well South of Chicago.

We mostly took US 30. Sure you have to go slower, but I don't really want to go faster than 65 MPH anyway. Yes, there are towns you have to pass through but we saw many interesting sights. And it ends at Atlantic City.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote