Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2019, 01:06 PM   #1
ADQ K9

Last trip of the season (Moose hunt)

How many of you use your rig for hunting?
Due to work schedules the trip over Labor Day weekend is gonna be the last since I am working the end of September. Hope to bag a moose and fill the freezer.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
Canonman

Don't hunt with a rifle anymore but still like to get out and put the "sneak" on some of the big guys. Kind of miss the freezer meat, but with it being just the two of us we wound giving most of it away to make room for the next seasons bounty.
Best of luck on your hunt!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-8162.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	23449  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
wobly

I use our rig for hunting season. We go muzzleloader in September, so it usually isn't too cold.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:46 AM   #4
Huntme

bought my springdale 2015 189 just for that purpose,Deer,Elk,Cougar,Bear,so this will be the first year of hunting in our T.T,me and the Boss,my wife and hunting partner,got tired of tent camping in 13 degree weather,in the MountHood National Forest.
so we are looking forward to our first year of hunting in our used,new trailer.
Huntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:57 AM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntme View Post
bought my springdale 2015 189 just for that purpose,Deer,Elk,Cougar,Bear,so this will be the first year of hunting in our T.T,me and the Boss,my wife and hunting partner,got tired of tent camping in 13 degree weather,in the MountHood National Forest.
so we are looking forward to our first year of hunting in our used,new trailer.
Take lots of LP & some way to keep the battery/batteries charged, neither will last very long with the furnace running.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
Huntme

I have a generator,that will put out 7000 watt continuous,it will run my entire trailer,including my A.C,it is loud,and heavy,so I will charge batteries in day time,has Electric start,so the wife can start it,if need be.
I believe it was made by NorthShore.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #7
Huntme

I have 14 gallons of propane on my t.t so it should last at least 4 or 5 days,if not,I'm 30 miles from a town.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:28 PM   #8
Huntme

I would love to hunt a moose.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:30 PM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
I have 14 gallons of propane on my t.t so it should last at least 4 or 5 days,if not,I'm 30 miles from a town.
Sounds like 2 full 30 #ers. Running the fridge, water heater, cooktop/oven & the furnace you'll be surprised how quickly it burns up, that might last 4-5 days. And if your luck is like mine you'll find out about 3am one morning that your out.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #10
Ken / Claudia

I Elk hunt in Eastern Oregon, sometimes in Dec. Mainly late Nov. this year 1st week Nov. It can get cold and snowy, this year we might be camping around 4500 ft. I like tracking in the white stuff since it is easy. When hunting and it's likely to not get much above 32f. I have tents and wood stoves for that. If this year's weather is like last year. Mid 20s at night, 40s day time. Not much to worry about getting frozen. New for me will be the 6v system. I might run the genny all night anyway. It's too hard to get up from a good sleep to shut it off. The 2000 Yamaha is less noise than the RV furnace, inside the RV. The furnace sometimes wakes me up when it cycles on. I take tire chains for the TT and have used them.
What's different and fun to see. Since its rut for deer, I see big bucks everyday. One would think many do not make it through several months of rifle and archery seasons from Aug to Oct. But, their out there.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:23 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I would highly recommend that you "steal" the 20 pound propane tank from your grill, fill it as a "backup emergency propane supply"... You may not need it, but at 3AM, being 30 miles from town and the propane dealer doesn't open until 8AM, well, you'll really appreciate that "make it till morning" propane supply. It may still screw up that morning's hunt, but at least you'll be warm while you get dressed to head to town.... BTDTGTTS......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:11 PM   #12
gearhead

It can get cold out there. We were maybe 20 miles away. Snow up to the truck bumpers. Norman the pack mule was looking tasty. We got out Ok, some didn't:
https://www.outdoorlife.com/articles...anded-rockies/
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:27 PM   #13
Old Mustanger

You may want to invest in some propane tank warmers or you will find that your tanks may not empty all the way. It's not fun going to refill a tank and being told that it only took 3 Gal. of propane instead of 7. BTDT Of these need 120V, so may not be particle for your situation (not aware of any that run on 12VDC but there may be some available).
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:49 PM   #14
Huntme

I hunt with my fatherinlaw,and his friend Bobby,and I always carry an extra 5 gallons tank,for outside cooking,if needed,and I see no need to run my fridge on propane so we will see how long my two tanks will last,and how long my batteries will last allso.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:56 PM   #15
Huntme

last year we had frost on my Elk Hunter sleeping bags in the morning,and my wife was happy when I decided to buy a T.T,for Hunting,and if the Boss is happy then we have a better time hunting,not to mention she carrys a 06,and a 357 around for the unexpected wild animals around,so I dont want her too angry at me.L.O.L
Old 09-03-2019, 11:13 AM   #16
ADQ K9

Well no moose this year. Weather was warm in the mid to low 40s at nights, low to mid 60s during the day. Wind picked up and they all went in to hiding Just like us it messes with their senses (smell and hearing) They were either in the thick Black Spruce or bedded down on the field out of sight.
Nevertheless it was a good time with the guys. Nothing broke. the wind rocked the trailer pretty good a few times even where we were parked in the trees.

Speaking of trees one reached out and scratched the Ghostrider pretty good but it will buff out.
Now its time to unload and winterize the Tumbleweed
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:03 PM   #17
Ken / Claudia

Well any adventure into the wilds or on the water is a win in my book. I came back empty last year on elk and seen many. Although my sons are grown, only 1 who wants to hunt. I pretended to be his guide. He kept getting buck fever, short cycled the bolt, put pressure on the mag release 2 times enough to make the rifle a single shot. I was giving him range and were to hold. After the 1st shot he would take, they never stood around for me to try a shot. Different plan this year, I take the first Elk I can, than help him.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #18
Huntme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Well any adventure into the wilds or on the water is a win in my book. I came back empty last year on elk and seen many. Although my sons are grown, only 1 who wants to hunt. I pretended to be his guide. He kept getting buck fever, short cycled the bolt, put pressure on the mag release 2 times enough to make the rifle a single shot. I was giving him range and were to hold. After the 1st shot he would take, they never stood around for me to try a shot. Different plan this year, I take the first Elk I can, than help him.
they can move through the trees so fast,me and the wife have walked up on the herd twice,got spotted,no clear shot on a bull to be had both times,once they got wind we were there,they were tearing up ground,and trees,and brush, tried to follow,spent about 6 hours tracking them,neaver did find them again,felt little bad about it,but most of the other Hunters in the area did not get nothing so we just said oh well,maybe next year.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:54 AM   #19
bbells

I take mine up to Northern Minnesota for a month every year bowhunting. The only problem I have run into are frozen hoses from the sites hydrant and icey roads on the way home. It is why I got the trailer. For shorter trips I park my wheel house in WMA's.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:37 AM   #20
Huntme

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbells View Post
I take mine up to Northern Minnesota for a month every year bowhunting. The only problem I have run into are frozen hoses from the sites hydrant and icey roads on the way home. It is why I got the trailer. For shorter trips I park my wheel house in WMA's.
Good old Minneapolis,spent a lot of years there,in Duluth,Rochester,Virginia,,all through Minnesota,nothing like 35 below wind chill,4 feet of fresh snow,deer hunting in tree stands,Ice fishing,frozen lakes,Canoeing,Boundry Waters,cold old Lake Superior,and my favorite Big Bass Lake,and then there is the state Bird,the mosquito,ha ha,just kidding,its the loon.