Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #1
brlr2000

Roof caulking

What is the recommended caulking to repair normal cracks and voids in the rubber roof vents, antennas? This is a 2017 roof. The roof is slightly textured, and I don't know if it needs a different type of caulk
brlr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Horizontal self-leveling Dicor

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #3
brlr2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Horizontal self-leveling Dicor
Ok. I was watching a YouTube clip which suggested that the newer textured roofs needed a different type, but I don't see why Self-leveling Dicor wouldn't work
brlr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:52 PM   #4
Gegrad

If it's a TPO roof then the Alpha Systems self leveling sealant is actually the better option, as that is the product specifically designed for a TPO roof. Dicor will work, but the Alpha product is the technically correct sealant.

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Self-Lev...s%2C128&sr=8-2
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:12 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

If you are asking about sealant, know there are two types. Self-leveling and non self-leveling. The self leveling is best used on flat and horizontal surfaces where the non self-leveling is used on the sides of the trailer. If you use the self leveling on the sides, when the sun beats on the stuff, it will run all over. Ask me how I know... Naptha is a good and safe way to remove slop on the fiberglass trailer sides. This wisdom comes at my personal expense.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:24 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
If it's a TPO roof then the Alpha Systems self leveling sealant is actually the better option, as that is the product specifically designed for a TPO roof. Dicor will work, but the Alpha product is the technically correct sealant.

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Self-Lev...s%2C128&sr=8-2

I've looked at this multiple times. I like Dicor because I can get it. The Alpha Systems product is recommended by the manufacturer of TPO for their TPO roofs. Oddly both say they work on the TPO, and, below is a link for the 1021 Alpha self leveling sealant....note in the description is says "EPDM base"?? I figure they both do the same job on both roof materials - just trying to push "their brand".

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Alpha-Sy...02649888&psc=1
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:13 PM   #7
brlr2000

It looks like I have a TPO roof, so I'll probably be looking for the Alpha Systems product. Thanks for the advice
Old 09-12-2019, 05:24 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Keep in mind that almost all the sealant you apply will be going over previously applied sealant so the type is likely not critical. Just want to fill up cracks which is normal in resealing a roof.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:16 AM   #9
jsmith948

I recently renewed the caulking on our roof. I had some Dicor self-leveling that I used around the skylight. I used the Alpha systems self leveling every where else on the roof that needed attention. The Dicor seemed to flow on more smoothly and the end result was much more pleasing to the eye with a flat, smooth finished "bead" that hardly showed any sign of where I had weaved the sealant back and forth - it all flowed together. The Alpha sealant seemed much "stiffer" while applying and it never really flowed together as nicely as the Dicor. Both brands of sealant were self-leveling.

Perhaps the batch of Alpha sealant was defective or had been on the shelf too long - I don't know. I do know the Dicor resulted in a nicer looking job and it is what I will use after I remove all of the other sealant on which I seem to have wasted my money. Just sayin'

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:51 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

The older type DICOR sealant will work, the newer type DICOR sealant has a faster evaporating solvent as does the Alpha Systems sealant (which I find harder to work with and a worse quality end result).....

Here's what happened and (I think) why it happened:

DICOR was the leader in the industry with EPDM roofing. A new "lighter and cheaper" roofing membrane, TPO was developed. Alpha Systems jumped into the market and became the "leader in TPO membrane distribution" (but they didn't have any sealants suitable for TPO so they recommended DICOR.

Over the next year or so, some people complained of "unsightly swelling" on their TPO roofs where the sealant "disfigured the membrane" because the solvent didn't evaporate fast enough, and "melted" the top surface of the TPO membrane, causing it to "look funny"....

So, Alpha Systems developed a line of sealants with a quicker evaporating solvent (the chemical that keeps the sealant flowing inside the tube) that didn't sit on the membrane long enough to disfigure the membrane surface.

They (Alpha Systems) stopped recommending DICOR and recommended their sealant.... DICOR had already started marketing a "quicker evaporation solvent" in a new line of TPO approved sealants (that didn't disfigure the membrane surface).

Now there are two brands that are competing. Alpha Systems sealant is harder to work with, doesn't flow as easily, doesn't "self level" as well and looks less "professional" once it's cured.

BOTH sealant lines work equally well to "protect the TPO membrane from being disfigured".... The OLDER formulation DICOR will not DAMAGE the TPO roof, but it will "disfigure it" along the edges where the solvent "melts the TPO surface".... The actual TPO is fine, undamaged, won't leak or fail any earlier than the rest, it just "looks a bit uneven" along the sealant edge.... Purely a cosmetic issue....

The "rub" as I see it, is that the Alpha Systems sealant doesn't give a smooth finish as it "self levels". The "new DICOR" is much easier to use, gives a better end result and doesn't "disfigure the edges" and the "old DICOR" give an even better end result, does cause a little "ripple along the sealant edge" (SOMETIMES) and from a distance, looks much better and in my experience, lasts longer (but that's my opinion, not based on any time studies)....

My preference is the old DICOR self leveling sealant, if it's not available, then the new DICOR self leveling sealant and if I don't have and can't get either, then I'll reluctantly use the Alpha Systems self leveling sealant, but I usually find I have to "touch it up" after all is said and done....

Of course, that's only my take on roof sealants, anyone is certainly entitled to a different opinion.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:14 AM   #11
Logan X

I like using Dicor. I’ve always had good results with it. I recently cleaned and resealed my roof and made a video about it.

https://youtu.be/KlhVYQgVVM8
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:30 PM   #12
Tbos

I recently did some patch up work and used the Alpha Systems Superflex non-sag on the side seams. It seems ok. I’ve used Dicor in the past with good results too. I did specifically ask the Alpine Factory rep to verify the roof manufacturer. They said it was Alpha systems TPO and to use their sealants.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:32 PM   #13
Allen Arin

Lap sealant by Carlisle might be good for you you can find it at a local roofing supply warehouse (they are also a good source for advice)
Allen Arin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:05 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Arin View Post
Lap sealant by Carlisle might be good for you you can find it at a local roofing supply warehouse (they are also a good source for advice)
Carlisle Lap Sealant is formulated for EPDM roofing membrane. It "outgasses" relatively slowly, so may cause the same issues with edge deformation as the original formulation of DICOR self leveling caulking. While it may work well for RV TPO roof maintenance, it may cause problems and neither DICOR nor Alpha Systems will honor their warranty if the sealant damages the Keystone Alpha Systems TPO roof membrane.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #15
wiredgeorge

How come nobody recommends FLEX SEAL?

Phil Swift wouldn't lie to us, would he? I actually bought a can of the white spray stuff. I used it in an attempt to seal a down spout at the low end of a gutter that runs the length of our house (in the rear). I stood on my tractor seat and sprayed away. The breeze carried little polka dots of flex seal all over my tractor and the first time it rained, the flex seal leaked like a sieve. Probably would work better on a camper roof!
Old 09-18-2019, 10:51 PM   #16
Allen Arin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brlr2000 View Post
What is the recommended caulking to repair normal cracks and voids in the rubber roof vents, antennas? This is a 2017 roof. The roof is slightly textured, and I don't know if it needs a different type of caulk
If in fact it is "rubber" you need a sealant formulated for EPDM roofing,
(non-asphaltic based), you wont find it at HD, locate a roofing supplier, ABC or someone like that.
Sealants used for drains on EPDM are called "Water stop" or Water Cut-off"
and there applied under the drains clamping ring, not around or on top of it.
They work by compression.

Ask at the supplier...they'll point ya in the right direction.
Allen Arin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof