Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
Timon

Montana and Montana High Country ride height

Looking at the Montana or Montana High Country and I was wondering about one of the dimensions.

When the rig is correctly set so it's riding level high is the bottom of the 5th wheel overhang above the ground. Not looking at the pin height but just the overhang.

I figure they should all be the same but just checking. Sure wish that Keystone would publish this number.

One more thing, could someone that has a 2015 with the generator prep tell me what transfer switch was used and how big it is? I haven't found one at a local dealer with that option to check it.

Thanks
Old 05-01-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Looking at the Montana or Montana High Country and I was wondering about one of the dimensions.

When the rig is correctly set so it's riding level high is the bottom of the 5th wheel overhang above the ground. Not looking at the pin height but just the overhang.

I figure they should all be the same but just checking. Sure wish that Keystone would publish this number.
Thanks
Timon -
This height would vary depending upon the pin weight and how that weight effects how much "squat" or drop there will be. On one truck, the bed (and the 5th wheel overhang) might drop 1 inch and on another truck the drop could be 3 inches.
The other factor is the height of the truck's pin box/receiver from the ground. In some of the "older" trucks the pin box often sits lower in the truck bed because the bed is lower. Newer trucks seem to have a higher box and consequently a higher pin box therefore the 5th wheel overhang height would be greater. So the height of the pin box does come into play.
While the differences may be slight, there isn't any "standard" or uniform height and that is why Keystone doesn't publish this figure.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #3
Timon

I understand that but what I'm looking for is the road to bottom of the gooseneck when the trailer is in "Ride Level". Ride level being the optimum ride position which is usually when the frame is riding level. I really wish that all manufactures would publish that number.

Once you know that number you can work out everything else such at how high to set the hitch in the bed, once you know the squat, and how much clearance you'll have from the pickup box side walls to the bottom of the gooseneck. If the measurement is hight or lower that the optimum then you're riding nose high or nose low.

In our case when we get our Ram 3500 will order the air ride option so we can set the ride height and you'll never get any squat no matter what the load is.

The way I think once gets this number is to adjust the front level legs till the coach frame is level when on level ground. It should then be just a matter of measuring from the ground to the bottom of the gooseneck.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:29 AM   #4
NotyetMHCowner

I have the onan 5500 lp gen set and they used 10 gauge wire from the generator to the transfer switch. I expected #6 wire but oh well. I don't remember the brand name of the transfer switch. I did have access to that as I was installing my EMS unit, but have since buttoned it all up.
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:46 PM   #5
gearhead

I'll measure mine for you, but I'm not exactly clear where you want the measurement. When you say the gooseneck, do you want the bottom edge of the frame where the hitch bolts on, or the kingpin to ground measurement?
Or the overhang to the ground?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #6
gearhead

60 inches from overhang to ground when level.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:08 PM   #7
Timon

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #8
gearhead

Apparently single rear wheel one tons have the highest tailgates. I would recommend a truck 5th hitch that is adjustable vertically. I have to set mine at the highest level to have enough tailgate clearance. I'm running about a 1/4 bubble nose high on a $3 torpedo level. I've got a Starrett 98 machinery level that I should put on it. But it is what it is.