Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2015, 07:36 AM   #1
JohnD

How did that happen?

So I'm walking around my new 337fls and looking underneath I see the 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe leading from the gray tank to the Y at the black tank dump valve has completely broken away. I am waiting for word now if Keystone will warranty it. This unit has not even been camped in as yet, it has only been from the dealer to home and back to the dealer. My thought was maybe the valve struck something but I have no idea where and how that could have happened, any one seen anything like this before?
2012 Heartland North Trail
2015 Keystone Cougar 337fls
2021 Keystone Montana 3763BP
JohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:50 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Is it possible that you ran over something on the tow home? Something like a piece of a tire carcass or a piece of 2x4 or ?? I would make the assumption that your PDI confirmed that it wasn't broken when you accepted delivery? Or is it possible that it was broken on delivery?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #3
JohnD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Is it possible that you ran over something on the tow home? Something like a piece of a tire carcass or a piece of 2x4 or ?? I would make the assumption that your PDI confirmed that it wasn't broken when you accepted delivery? Or is it possible that it was broken on delivery?
Anything is surely possible, I recall a quick look during the PDI. Thinking at the end of the day unfortunately this is going to be an out of pocket experience, my hope now is there is no damage to the black tank
Old 03-27-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

It is possible that the pipe was never glued and simply came apart .... unless you can see that it has been broken.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:17 AM   #5
abc40kids

Damage

It's under warranty for a year so I'd crawl under and look hard for any evidence that you might have hit something. If its a clean break or even just seperated at a joint I would approach the dealer like, hey I'll be bringing this back to be fixed under warranty.
abc40kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:41 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

If it wasn't glued, it would be cheaper to get a small can of ABS glue and DIY rather than drag it back to the dealer, wait for it to be fixed and then go pick it back up.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:49 AM   #7
Pmedic4

Broken drain pipe

Mine was broken in about the same spot. In our case, it was such a clean break, we didn't even see it until we went to dump.

Now, for the bad part! That wasn't the only break in the black ABS pipe, as soon as we starting dumping the Black Water tank, you could see it leaking under the coroplast(?) - yech.

With the problem we had, I would fill the tanks with clean water, and then dump to see if there were other leaks or problems. Something we and the dealer should have done on a good PDI, but I only learned that after getting on this forum.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #8
poncho62

If its at the joint, it probably wasnt assembled right....They are joined with solvent cement and should be stronger than the pipe
Old 04-06-2015, 10:10 AM   #9
JohnD

Update, not good

Now the dealer has informed us that it appears every line in my unit may have frozen and cracked. Now again this camper has never been used, winterized at the dealer or Keystone, not sure which is responsible for the winterization. My question now, how many issues are going to creep up out of this, water heater, interior water lines and so on and so on.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #10
polaris_rider

It comes down to how cold it got where the trailer was stored. I would definitely make the dealer check everything while it is there for repair. Was the water heater anode installed? Was the hot water heater bypass used? Were any of the taps left open? How about tank valves?

Anywhere that pressure was allowed to build up in the line could be potential for a leak.

When you pick it up make sure you run all the taps to make sure all the lines are good and no leaks. Including the toilet. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
polaris_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:06 PM   #11
WaltBennett

I know Keystone doesn't put any water in anything before the units are taken to dealers. Dealers don't either, save for winterizing (just to make certain, I suppose). Why are they claiming every line is cracked? This makes no sense at all, especially since that plastic hose is fairly flexible and hard to break with freezing temps unless the water is under pressure (closed faucets, pump on, etc.).

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:06 AM   #12
JohnD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltBennett View Post
I know Keystone doesn't put any water in anything before the units are taken to dealers. Dealers don't either, save for winterizing (just to make certain, I suppose). Why are they claiming every line is cracked? This makes no sense at all, especially since that plastic hose is fairly flexible and hard to break with freezing temps unless the water is under pressure (closed faucets, pump on, etc.).
At last check with dealer, whose story is ever changing, they have ordered the 1 1/2" pvc line that runs from the second gray tank to the black tank valve at the Y. They have also ordered the 3" pvc at the black tank which is cracked. I know there is anti freeze in the system ( have seen the pink liquid in all the usual spots). I have no idea why there would be any water in the system unless the dealer felt the need to run some through. They're latest guess is that it may have been damaged during delivery. I don't think I will ever get a correct diagnosis, at this point we just want it fixed, thankfully warranty is covering, unfortunately it looks as though we will miss our first trip scheduled for this weekend
Old 04-07-2015, 07:32 PM   #13
Pmedic4

Similar problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltBennett View Post
Whatever it is, as I posted before, we had the exact same problem(s), with the ABS pipe broken in several places, and even the one initial pipe connection mentioned by JohnD. In my case, I believe it was water frozen in the pipes, but then again, for the pipe to crack right at a joint, instead of splitting along the length sort of rules that out. What makes me think freezing, is the connector into the fresh water tank also broke off, requiring replacement of the FW tank.

Again, the dealer fixed it, and works fine, but still the initial disappointment. Why I'm a strong advocate now of the dealer filling the FW, GW, and BW tanks, running the pump and then draining all in my presence.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote