Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
jeff-14

Cody Wyoming

We will be going to Cody Wy in July. We are coming from St. Louis Mo. and i am planing on going through Cheyenne and up into Cody via I 25 to US 20/26Has anyone taken this route and is there any mountians that are on this road?
jeff-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
Bugle Boy

I have been from Yellowstone to Cody to Sheridan to Casper via 14 and 25. Challenging but beautiful drive. Lots of wildlife, deer, moose and elk in the Bighorns. Lots of hills and curves.

I have been to Thermopolis and there are some 5000 to 7000 ft. elevations along the route. If you have kids there is a great dinosaur dig in Thermopolis.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6b1f8d57.jpg
Bugle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
Jim W

I also drove from Estes Park CO to Yellowstone WY about a year ago. We stated in Casper WY at the KOA for the night; nice overnight stop. Than taking 20/26 to WY highway 120 this will lead you in to Cody WY and then through Cody to Yellowstone park. The drive up on 20/26 and 120 was easy to do not much traffic on this roadway during the week. We did stop at a road side rest area about 4 hours out of Casper; if my memory severs me right. DW walks right past a sign stating to watch out for Rattlesnakes in the rest area. Did not see any since it was in the high 80's but they do warn you.

I pull the 5er with the truck in my signature did the entire trip in 6th gear never once drop to fifth gear never pulled any high EGT's on this road at all my transmission temperature never went above 180F. Was able to maintain 60 to 65 MPH since this is a comfortable speed to pull at.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
WYO 85

Take 20/26 out of Casper , plan on a night in Thermopolis in the hot springs .Won't hit any mountains but it is always windy in Wyoming. I plan on a trip to Cody in August, planning 2 nights in the state park and then moving down the road to full hookups.( Yellowstone Valley Inn
WYO 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Kenworth

We took I-25- Casper, then20 to thermopolis, to 120 into Cody last summer. It was a beautiful trip, hotter than holy heck, but nice. I would recommend the Absaroka Bay campground on the south side of Cody, very nice people, and reasonable rates...And I highly discourage taking 14, or 16 between Cody, and I-25, scenic...yes...safe...NO!!!
Kenworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Karen & Larry

cody via I 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff-14 View Post
We will be going to Cody Wy in July. We are coming from St. Louis Mo. and i am planing on going through Cheyenne and up into Cody via I 25 to US 20/26Has anyone taken this route and is there any mountians that are on this road?
Yes we have been to Cody/Yellowstone then pulling a Crossroads 29 ft with a F 150 4x4 our route left 90 at Buffalo 16 to 20 then straight up to Worland then towards Greybull left then to Cody
lots of twists & turns in the begining then going into the valley
Coming out of Cody we went on RT 120 up north towards Billings Mont. in order to reach 90 to avoid the route we came in on. we actually stumbled on the Battle of the Bighorn located on 90 after we left Billings this was very Amazing
HAve a Great Trip
Karen & Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
Dave & SUe

K&L,we just made that drive today.Cody to Billings.Nice drive.A few long pulls but nothing bad at all.Staying in Hardin Montana tonight and on to the custer monument and Rapid City tomorrow.
Dave & SUe is offline   Reply With Quote