Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2018, 04:33 PM   #21
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeheel4life View Post
That's interesting I've always been told that starting with EPA tier 1-4 that rolled out in early 2000s that on highway diesel was formulated at a much lower PPM in sulfur, but that true off road can still be #2.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/lowsulfurdiesel.shtml

So are they just dyeing ULSD and LSD is no longer formulated??
That's correct.
I accidentally filled with off road fuel at a small station, went in & told the cashier that I should maybe pay the tax on the fuel ( which is only difference, no tax) of course she had not a clue, but the old guy behind me spoke up saying "you gonna burn that sum bitch up with that fuel, its way to hot for that truck" to which I replied I thought it would just fine while laughing. The worst thing is that dye stains (it's like blood red ink) your fuel tank & takes several fills before its gone.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:33 PM   #22
bobbecky

The only difference between ULSD for on the road and off the road is the red dye for the off road and the off road does not have highway taxes in the price. That is why they check for dye in on road vehicles, to make sure the taxes are being paid. I understand there is a hefty fine if you are caught with dye in your tank. And I don't think LSD is available anymore.
bobbecky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #23
Freeheel4life

Learning new tidbits everyday. This forum always seems to deliver that. Thanks fellas
Old 01-08-2018, 03:04 AM   #24
Tinner12002

Most stations that sell diesel fuel start using blended fuel up here in Oct-Nov. I never use additives unless its predicted to get below zero but definitely after that. A couple gal of Kerosene to a tank of fuel will work also.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #25
1st Chev Diesel

Truck wont start

Griz getting back to your question... go to the Diesel Place and do a search " fuel gel" etc and you will get a lot of info on your situation. Good luck.

http://www.dieselplace.com/

Gary
1st Chev Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #26
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Chev Diesel View Post
Griz getting back to your question... go to the Diesel Place and do a search " fuel gel" etc and you will get a lot of info on your situation. Good luck.

http://www.dieselplace.com/

Gary
Thanks Gary!

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

After reading this thread, and so many other posts, is this what we call an argument NOT to buy a diesel? Being in a position of thinking about a new diesel, other than torque, I cannot see any benefit whatsoever to buying one. Little brother, who just bought his new F250 6.7 pretty much confirmed the same thing....you just need to WANT a diesel for it to be worth it, or have a need to tow heavy loads a lot......increased cost, increased maintenance, increased worries etc. etc. After many months of reading and research......did I miss something..... Not meaning to hijack the thread, just thought this might be a place to interject that thought....and I know it's been talked about many times so no need to reiterate previous posts......
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:16 AM   #28
notanlines

I believe it was that now infamous orator Javi who once said "you can drive a diesel or just run around town making a sound like a diesel."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:53 AM   #29
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
After reading this thread, and so many other posts, is this what we call an argument NOT to buy a diesel? Being in a position of thinking about a new diesel, other than torque, I cannot see any benefit whatsoever to buying one. Little brother, who just bought his new F250 6.7 pretty much confirmed the same thing....you just need to WANT a diesel for it to be worth it, or have a need to tow heavy loads a lot......increased cost, increased maintenance, increased worries etc. etc. After many months of reading and research......did I miss something..... Not meaning to hijack the thread, just thought this might be a place to interject that thought....and I know it's been talked about many times so no need to reiterate previous posts......
Sometimes its a matter of preference, sometimes its a matter of need. Everyone has their own reasons for buying a diesel so its not for me to determine whether a person needs a gas or diesel truck. They all have their issues at times, but I personally believe that a diesel truck will tow longer and more efficiently that a gas when towing a 12k RV and on up in weight. That's my opinion anyway.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:09 AM   #30
travelin texans

We've been fulltime for 10 years & after driving over the river & through the woods in that time I can't imagine doing it in a gasser, but to each their own.
One argument everyone, that doesn't own a diesel, keeps bringing up is increased maintenance, so far after using a diesel as a daily driver for the last 13 years I've yet to notice that increase. Oil changes in 10-12 k where the gasser is 3-5k, mine holds 10 quarts, the gasser holds 5-7, all the same lubrication points, tire rotations, air filter, all of which are done on both. If referring to DEF, 2.5 gallons in 3-3.5k @ about $12 for the jug is less than half a cent per mile.
Not trying to sell diesels, but they are designed/necessary if pulling a large trailer, just my .02 cents.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:18 AM   #31
TheGriz

As the OP, I didn't expect this thread to morph into diesel vs. gas! But given that it has, here is my two cents as a recent diesel owner (bought my first diesel pickup this past August, and a half dozen or so gassers previous to that).

First off, I am not a mechanic, nor certainly not a mechanical engineer. My brief practical experience with a diesel has demonstrated to me significantly increased torque, even with the towing package in my previous gasser. Specifically given my experience when going up just a moderate grade in my gasser, I would have to "put my foot considerably more into the pedal" than with the diesel. When I would shift to Drive in a gasser and not touch the gas pedal, my TV/TT rig would just sit there and not move on a level surface. With a diesel, the rig would start moving without touching the acceleration pedal.

I can only speculate that the increased RPMs during acceleration and drive train load required uphill with a gasser, likely decreases life expectancy on both gas engine and transmission. Life expectancy of a diesel regularly goes into several hundred thousand miles.

Previous post summed up very good the economics of diesel vs. gas. I will add two more points.
- Yes, diesel has a higher up front "buy" cost, but that is recouped on the "sell" end as trade/resale values on diesels are considerably higher than gassers.
- Regarding mileage when towing, I am experiencing roughly 13-14 MPG with diesel, versus 8-9 MPG with previous gasser. But even with the increased cost per gallon of diesel, the fuel gauge tips in favor of diesel.

If I didn't have a towing requirements, I personally would still have a gasserl. But with a towing requirement, my pick is a diesel. To each their own.

Regards,
Mike

Old 01-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #32
MSB1766

I have get power Service products from Amazon.
Power Service makes three different diesel additives:

Gray Bottle= Summer Formula
White Bottle= Winter Fromula
Red Bottle= Gelled Fuel
MSB1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:34 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
As the OP, I didn't expect this thread to morph into diesel vs. gas! But given that it has, here is my two cents as a recent diesel owner (bought my first diesel pickup this past August, and a half dozen or so gassers previous to that).

First off, I am not a mechanic, nor certainly not a mechanical engineer. My brief practical experience with a diesel has demonstrated to me significantly increased torque, even with the towing package in my previous gasser. Specifically given my experience when going up just a moderate grade in my gasser, I would have to "put my foot considerably more into the pedal" than with the diesel. When I would shift to Drive in a gasser and not touch the gas pedal, my TV/TT rig would just sit there and not move on a level surface. With a diesel, the rig would start moving without touching the acceleration pedal.

I can only speculate that the increased RPMs during acceleration and drive train load required uphill with a gasser, likely decreases life expectancy on both gas engine and transmission. Life expectancy of a diesel regularly goes into several hundred thousand miles.

Previous post summed up very good the economics of diesel vs. gas. I will add two more points.
- Yes, diesel has a higher up front "buy" cost, but that is recouped on the "sell" end as trade/resale values on diesels are considerably higher than gassers.
- Regarding mileage when towing, I am experiencing roughly 13-14 MPG with diesel, versus 8-9 MPG with previous gasser. But even with the increased cost per gallon of diesel, the fuel gauge tips in favor of diesel.

If I didn't have a towing requirements, I personally would still have a gasserl. But with a towing requirement, my pick is a diesel. To each their own.

Regards,
Mike
I apologize Mike. As I said, I didn't mean to hijack the thread into that topic. Just reading this thread and the problems you were having....and the solutions, were nothing I had even thought about when weighing buying a diesel. Probably wasn't a good place to interject but in the midst of all those thoughts and comments I sort of just popped it out... I doubt your situation would be anything I would have to worry about in W TX - plus we try to stay S in cold weather. Thanks for the thoughts.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:25 PM   #34
Freeheel4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
We've been fulltime for 10 years & after driving over the river & through the woods in that time I can't imagine doing it in a gasser, but to each their own.
One argument everyone, that doesn't own a diesel, keeps bringing up is increased maintenance, so far after using a diesel as a daily driver for the last 13 years I've yet to notice that increase. Oil changes in 10-12 k where the gasser is 3-5k, mine holds 10 quarts, the gasser holds 5-7, all the same lubrication points, tire rotations, air filter, all of which are done on both. If referring to DEF, 2.5 gallons in 3-3.5k @ about $12 for the jug is less than half a cent per mile.
Not trying to sell diesels, but they are designed/necessary if pulling a large trailer, just my .02 cents.
Not to keep this thread off topic, but here goes
I would agree that in the world of consumable standard maintenance items you are spot on. Oil, DEF, fuel, etc On the off chance you experience parts failures though they are typically much more than their gas counterparts. Fuel injection pumps, injectors, high pressure oil pumps, and even parts that you can expect like the occasional starter are more $. Yes they are supposed to run forever but getting unlucky can sure add up quick. Just ask the guys with "bullet proofed" 6.0L Powerstrokes.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:07 PM   #35
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I apologize Mike. As I said, I didn't mean to hijack the thread into that topic. Just reading this thread and the problems you were having....and the solutions, were nothing I had even thought about when weighing buying a diesel. Probably wasn't a good place to interject but in the midst of all those thoughts and comments I sort of just popped it out... I doubt your situation would be anything I would have to worry about in W TX - plus we try to stay S in cold weather. Thanks for the thoughts.
Sourdough, no problem and certainly no need to apologize!!! To be quite honest, when I posted my issue, I questioned my decision to get a diesel TV. I am not looking back though, and absolutely love the torque when towing with my Duramax, an expectation that my gasser left me disappointed.

As a first time diesel pickup owner, live and learn (never too old to get schooled), when down in single digits and below, I will definitely be adding the anti-gel!!!

Daylight continues to get longer, which means camping season is getting closer!!!

Regards,
Mike

Old 01-17-2018, 07:37 PM   #36
Alley Cat

Gasser's love there engines I can appreciate that. Once the trailer weight get up there mine tips in at 15,000 lb. Diesel is the only option. I did my home work and looked for longevity not the 0 - 60 times. The 7.3 Ford PSD known to last no Bullet Proofing or DEF required and with 60,000 on the clock barely broken in. Come on Spring "Count me in."
Alley Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:35 AM   #37
notanlines

Alleycat, I see you're ride is an '01 Ford. When you mentioned the 0-60 I kind of wondered if you've driven a late model in any of the big three? All three diesels since about 2007-8 or so will literally jump right out from under you. The new diesels never take a back seat to the gassers in the regular lines of trucks.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote