Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #1
FTWingRiders

325SRX electrical issue..

Hello All,
Having an issue I've not seen before, and hoped someone might be able to point me in the right direction. 2014 325SRX I bought 2 years ago new, and besides the darn control panel, has worked without a hitch. I keep it plugged in year round in a 20A plug.

Left a week ago for a camping trip, plugged all week into a 50A service. Came home the other day, unhooked from the truck, and went to plug it into the same 20A GFA outlet and instantly the GFI tripped. Tried a different cord, different adapter, Tried 2 different 20A GFI on a different circuits in the barn.. Did the same thing.

I threw all the breakers in the camper, plugged it in and it worked.. threw the Main breaker on..fine. The Microwave/outlet breaker on.. fine. A/C on.. fine, then it popped the GFI in the shop again after a minute but the A/C or the fan wasn't on, just on it's own. Then it worked fine after resetting it.

Tried various combos of circuits to try to isolate one thats tripping, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to whats causing it. Any suggestions on where to start? Leaving next Saturday for a week at the Lake and hope to figure this out beforehand..

Thanks for any help!!
FTWingRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:55 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Have you by any chance swapped out the GFI in the shop? That might be in the "early stages" of failure.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
jtyphoid

Can you reach a different GFI outlet and see if it also trips with your trailer plugged in? I have had a few GFI outlets that started tripping for no apparent reason.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:11 PM   #4
FTWingRiders

Tried 2 different GFI outlets on separate circuits. The barn was built last year with professionally installed 200 amp service. Everything has worked fine.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
Ron

Do you have an electric water heater, is it on, with the converter running and other small electrical draws, that might be it
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:07 AM   #6
FTWingRiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Do you have an electric water heater, is it on, with the converter running and other small electrical draws, that might be it
That was my first thought as I had just returned home. It was off, along with everything else I could think of. I unplugged anything that was plugged in too. The only thing that's on is the refrigerator, but that's not blowing the GFI...
Old 07-07-2015, 08:23 AM   #7
frankyb01

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that your shore power cable is detachable since you said you were plugged into 50A service while camping. I had an issue with my power cord at the plug where it plugs into the camper. I wasn't popping GFI's, but the problem was I had a slight short between one of the load legs and neutral. When I say slight the ohm meter was showing 2 M Ohm. That is not much continuity but it was enought to upset the electronics in the Microwave. Strangely everything else in the trailer worked fine. I found the problem by unplugging the cable from the trailer, flexing the plug back and forth and plugging it back in. That cured the problem. That's when I got out the meter and started checking the cable specifically. I've heard of other people having strange electrical gremlins that were eventually traced to a problem in the cord. The problem with these cords is that they place a lot of stress on the plug when when it's plugged into the camper. It only takes a hair line crack in the plastic of the plug to set up a potential minor intermittent short. Just a thought to consider
U.S.A.F. (ret.) 1976-1996
frankyb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #8
FTWingRiders

Frank,
You might be on to something.. I spoke to a man who was a RV Tech, he said he saw a lot of units that had that kind of small slight short that, tho won't blow circuit breakers, will be enough to trip a GFI or mess with sensitive equipment. Just enough continuity to mess with a real sensitive product or GFI. He stated that his old shop had a bunch of GFI outlets that would trip if there was just that slight short somewhere in the unit.

He didn't ask, but I do have the removable cord. I also think I could have the same issue that you had, and I'll be checking the prongs closely tomorrow.