Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
nanaof4boys

Unload her?

When you take your RV in for maintenance...do you unload her? Ask because we made our first trip a couple weeks ago and had a leak, so we had to take the RV to the dealer to find the leak...so we unload EVERYTHING we had put in it. We made so many trips to WalMart during that trip to get things we needed that we probably own a chunk of WalMart by now and we weren't about to risk anything being "lifted" while it was in for repairs. We even removed the TV and kept it here (the dealer said they have to do that on their lot because they have people breaking in and stealing them). Also unloaded the remotes to the TV and radio for safekeeping (ours was missing when we bought the RV and they ordered one for us).

So, what does everyone do? Unload? Leave it loaded?????

Thanks!
nanaof4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #2
antiqfreq

Except for cash, credit cards
and the ocasional gun or two
(just kidding........)

I would leave it loaded up!

We have never had to leave ours for repairs though........

Jody
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
nanaof4boys

LOL, i guess being camping "virgins" we were afraid to leave it loaded. Other friends of ours say they leave theirs loaded too. I guess when we get to know our dealer better we will do the same....and I hope we don't have to take her in very often!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
nanaof4boys

Also meant to say....our friends who were camping with us and who I think have the same rig you do had a leak too. Theirs is in the shop too. Theirs was a tiny leak..just a few drops around their antenna....so you might want to keep an eye on that site on your RV.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
hoffbrew

When mine was in, I left it loaded, thinking I would just lock it up and it will be all good. I have Plasma's and other valuable riding stuff in the garage, like I said, I will just lock it up.
When I got to the dealer I told them I had that I had certain things in there and asked if I should unload it or being locked up would be ok? I said if they needed to get into it, just call me. He said "no worries, we have a master key to all trailers" I just about #$^* all over my self! I did not have time to unload the trailer and thought maybe they have insurance for this type of stuff? But luckily everything was still there, but next time...... probably..... well, I hope there is not a next time!
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
nanaof4boys

OMG, I think I would have had to unload it anyway. I'd have a stroke if someone stole my stuff as much money as I have spent already and have only had the camper 2 months!
Old 07-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
hoffbrew

I just did not think about it till I was there at the dealer. But trust me, I will unload the expensive things if there is a next time.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
nanaof4boys

Yeah, me too! I may have to name mine "The Walmart Pit". as much money as we spent the first camping trip...I think we made 4 trips to Walmart...oooooh I don't even want to think about it! And it better be covered by warranty...fur is gonna fly if it isn't.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #9
Trailer Trash2

Thumbs down

I dont like leaving inportant things in my trailer when it goes to the repair lot, but I do let the service writer know that I will check my unit when I come back to pick it up.
Most of the shops are ok, but some shops have those certain people that have certain needs if you know what I mean. Mine has been gone through each time I take it in so I check it very well and do a good visual and remember how thing are in order, they always seem to make an error when they go through your stuff.
But it's your call, and they dont honor any losses while on there lot most of the time,
TT2
Old 09-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #10
nanaof4boys

I know! We took everything out of ours when we took it in but the repairman said they have had absolutely no problems with anything going missing as he lives on the lot and keeps an eye on things and also it is just him, the owner and the owner's wife there....but I think I will continue to remove any items that are valuable...like two flat screen tvs, all my small appliances, and especially our memory foam mattresses....now next time I may leave food and clothes as we only keep camping clothes in the camper...so no great loss if someone feels they need clothes and food (nonperishable). We will pretty much remove anything (toys, movies and other things stated above) before we leave it again. Heck we have only had it since June and we have already spent a ton of money above and beyond what the cost of the camper and tow vehicle cost!
Old 11-01-2009, 05:37 AM   #11
Steersall4

IF you cant' trust it at your Dealer, where can ya?
Old 11-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #12
nanaof4boys

Yep, thats right, but our dealer went out of business two months ago! We unloaded it before we took it in even the TV!
Old 11-03-2009, 06:11 AM   #13
Steersall4

yea, like the expression , "Better safe than Sorry' any more ! I know of a couple kept theirs at a storage facility. IT got broke into by some one tearing up a roof vent first. NOW That person OR kid had to be small !! my wife gets unhappy that ours sets here at home NOT locked. but I am sure to put the steps up all the time. IF I see they are down I am going out there prepared to confront some one and the adrenilin would bring on ability I have never used. It might come from "Browning".