Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2015, 04:16 PM   #1
K'sKamper

Decals - Wax or No Wax

We had always been told not to wax the decals, wax causes them to crack. Anyone have any thoughts on the subject? Do you wax your decals, are they cracking?
K'sKamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

You'll probably get a variety of answers to your question. I've read that there are certain types of wax - depending upon their "ingredients" that are not great for use on decals but can't remember what types of waxes. (Maybe a Google search???) Some folks just use Aerospace303 on their decals and have been pleased with the results.

As you know, decals are prone to fading, peeling and cracking - especially if your unit is exposed to the sun for long periods of time.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
wesaysoracing

I have always used wax on my decals on my vehicles, and they did not fade or crack, however the decals used by a RV manufacturer may be different , the maker of the wax I has a UV protection in it
wesaysoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:46 PM   #4
cathcartww

As said, I think it depends on exactly what kind of decals you have. From what I have read, if you have a nice smooth, shiny finish on the decal, any good wax or polish will be fine. If the finish is textured or semi-gloss, finishes meant for smooth finishes may not give good results. That being said, the edges are the most susceptible to damage from the solvents in some polishes and waxes. What I have done - so far with excellent results - is to treat the decals on a regular basis with 303 Protectorant, hopefully sealing the edges somewhat, then use NuFinish on the fiberglass, taking reasonable care to keep it away from the edges.

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:07 PM   #5
b.d.keathley

Talking

Those rumors are wrong. Ive been applying wax to everything I could since I was 13. Im 34 and have been detailing anything I could get my hands on with every type of wax. APPLY wax to your decals, tailights, windows, headlights, paint, and even chrome as much as you can and youll have a great lookin WHATEVER you apply it to. Everything ive had people allways ask how it looks so clean and my answer is its allways WAXED.
2013 Keyston Cougar 333MKS
2 15K BTU AC's
b.d.keathley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:40 AM   #6
WaltBennett

I'm fairly certain wax won't make them crack or fade - it's more about how poorly made they are. Montana decals are extremely well known for cracking and fading, but at least they'll send you new ones if you contact them with photos & complain. It's a lot of work to remove & replace them though. Many Montana owners swear by Aerospace 303 protectant (not a wax) for helping them last longer, but I've never heard of any documented studies. The ones on our Monty are pretty cracked, but little faded. I'm thinking about asking for a new set in a year or so.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #7
K'sKamper

Decals - Wax or No Wax

Thank you for the information. I hope ours last.
K'sKamper is offline   Reply With Quote