Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
garroum

Warrantee Issues

I bought a new Cougar Half ton a week ago. found a leak at the toilet valve and my water pump will not pressurize the system. Took it to the dealership we purchased. they checked it out and found the issues as I described. They have to submit to Keystone. The dealership stated it will be 2 to 8 weeks once they get approval. Is this standard? Why would it take 2 to 8 weeks to get parts. This is my first RV and it cant believe this is what it will take. any thoughts?
garroum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:19 PM   #2
PopBeavers

My dealer is backed up several months. Unable to hire qualified technicians to do the work. They have a new director. Maybe he can figure out a solution.
Transfer Flow aux. fuel tank in tool box
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Thoughts on this;

Why wasn't the leaking valve found during the dealership PDI, or yours?

By leaking valve are we talking about the ball valve?

With a week old trailer the approval of this repair should be open and shut. Dealer submits to Keystone, Keystone should approve same day unless it is more than described, parts should be on hand and repaired next day....JMO.

In the situation you describe I have to believe that the dealer is the problem. Nothing about a toilet valve takes anything more than a couple of hours to fix. Approval, on a week old trailer is foregone. Parts should be on hand for something so common; if not, a 2 day deal to get them. Again, your dealer is the problem IMO.

I would be doing a face to face with the service manager and/or the GM or owner of the dealership on a daily basis.....but that's what I do and I'm retired

Note on the backup mentioned above. You have a week old trailer that should have been delivered without problems; especially the one you describe. There should be no wait-you move to the front of the line-it's a new trailer they failed to deliver in an operable condition.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with sourdough. There is absolutely no reason that trailer should have ever been delivered to a customer without first checking the water system for proper function. If the dealership missed that, what else did they miss? I'd be concerned that they just sent the cleanup lady out to vacuum the floor, wipe down the counters and sent you on your way without checking the trailer properly before delivery.

As suggested, I'd be nose to nose (friendly at first, insistent and demanding if necessary) that my trailer be repaired and that it go into the service bay NEXT !!!

I'm afraid, without knowing the reputation of your selling dealership, that if you're having this kind of "brush-off" now, it's only going to get worse as time goes on, so establish your expectations with the service manager and the dealership general manager/owner now rather than later when you have "explosive frustrations" from being ignored......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:44 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

These threads tend to get under my skin. First as stated, the issue should have been found before delivery. IMO the issue could as simple as a 30 cent cone washer or a 25 dollar flush valve. Either way 1/2 hr labor would fix it. They should have taken pics, fixed it and sent you on your way. It may take a day or two to get approval but customer care is more important IMO.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:59 PM   #6
24vctd

Sourdough has it correct 2-8 weeks is a dealer problem they have checked it submitted it and now your a low priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
24vctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
dcg9381

It's normal (in my experience) - any warranty repair, expect 30-45 days of the unit sitting there just to go through the inspection, approval, and process. Some of this is on Keystone. Some of it is on the dealer - as they could handle this as a "courtesy" deal - as others have indicated, a new unit should NEVER have been delivered this way. The could "sponsor" the repair, get you out the door, and then deal with Keystone for reimbursement.

Reality is that your dealer gets paid less for warranty repairs than other repairs and may not get paid at all if Keystone disagrees with the warranty assessment. The dealer is stuck in the "middle"... But in your case (1 week old camper) - IMHO, they should do better.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #8
RickSidebottom

We had a similar problem with our 2018 28RKS. The pump issue did not show up in the PDI but when we towed the unit home (About 35 miles) a pre-trip inspection found that the black water tank valve would not fully close and the fresh water system developed some leaks at fittings and a crack in the pump head. It is possible that There is a bad batch of pumps that were used at the factory. I don't know for sure but I think that is a check valve the protects the pump from city water pressure from damaging the pump head.
RickSidebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #9
cpaulsen

Had a leak from the vacuum breaker a week after I bought our 2018 Montana 330RL....called the dealer.....and they said to contact a mobile service they use. Guy came out......new vacuum breaker and all was good. He gave me the paperwork(bill) and I gave it to my dealer........all done!!
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:59 AM   #10
Pull Toy

I'm sure it didn't take them 8 weeks to get to the bank with your check.

My second step would be Good Sam and or your local TV station. They both have consumer affairs people, and access to mass media. I'm sure your dealer doesn't want a microphone in his face while he tries to justify CRA**Y customer service. Even if the dealer has to eat the bill themselves, parts and labor at their cost is minimal compared to bad publicity.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #11
dcg9381

I wouldn't do that. I'd go to the sales guy. The sales and service portions may be run like separate businesses, but I'd simply let the guy know (the guy that got the commission) that you find the experience unacceptable over a $25 part. Ask him to fix it with the service manager.

Keystone won't (typically) pay for "mobile" techs - my guess is the dealer did that as a courtesy to the customer..

Another suggestion is to tell the dealer to repair it "on your dime" and provide you with a refund after going through the Keystone warranty hoops...
Old 02-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
I wouldn't do that. I'd go to the sales guy. The sales and service portions may be run like separate businesses, but I'd simply let the guy know (the guy that got the commission) that you find the experience unacceptable over a $25 part. Ask him to fix it with the service manager.

Keystone won't (typically) pay for "mobile" techs - my guess is the dealer did that as a courtesy to the customer..

Another suggestion is to tell the dealer to repair it "on your dime" and provide you with a refund after going through the Keystone warranty hoops...

I disagree wholeheartedly. Don't go back to the "sales guy". They are a dime a dozen, change out every month etc. Their ability to "swing weight" within the organization, the service manager or general manager is usually zip. When I was having issues with my last RV and made myself a first name person to the GM......he didn't even know the name of the sales guy....that had been there 3 months.

The opinion I gave originally is the way to proceed IMO. Sales folks have no input or value to the service side unless they want them to. In your case it sounds as if they don't. The service manager oversees what you need done. The GM/owner oversees it all. THEY are who you need to stand face to face with and express your expectations.

I've done this many times in many different situations. You have to address it now, address it correctly to the right person and address it properly. In your case they are standing "bare a$$ed" naked in the wrong; they don't have a leg to stand on and have no recourse other than to say either "yes, we deliver inferior products" or "yes, we don't know what we are doing when we deliver a trailer to a customer" or "yes, we just wanted your money; our customers always take a back seat", either way it's stupid. Take them to task.

I will say again, on a new trailer like yours there won't be any "hoops" to go through so to speak. This issue is 100% on the dealership, again IMO.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:57 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

I agree with Sourdough. Once a unit is “over the curb” he gets paid. None of our sales staff has any leeway with our service mgr. with the way RV sales are going, I bet the salesperson won’t even look back!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #14
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I agree with Sourdough. Once a unit is “over the curb” he gets paid. None of our sales staff has any leeway with our service mgr. with the way RV sales are going, I bet the salesperson won’t even look back!
I understand this, but at my dealer the sales organization and the service organization operate pretty independently... IE - asking to get my rig "first in line" actually meant less money for the service GM and needed a nudge from sales. Agree that the best option would be to ask for the favor from whomever is over both organizations, assuming that person is around.

This sort of thing sucks.. Gives dealers and Keystone a bad name. And seems to happen frequently.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
I understand this, but at my dealer the sales organization and the service organization operate pretty independently... IE - asking to get my rig "first in line" actually meant less money for the service GM and needed a nudge from sales. Agree that the best option would be to ask for the favor from whomever is over both organizations, assuming that person is around.

This sort of thing sucks.. Gives dealers and Keystone a bad name. And seems to happen frequently.
I guess it all goes back to the dealer in some way. I've been in dealerships where it seemed sales and service were in 2 separate, distinct silos that couldn't/wouldn't communicate and others where the service manager and sales manager were like little twins bouncing back and forth working with each other. Guess it depends on how the GM/owner wants the place to operate and with what priorities.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:29 PM   #16
travelin texans

If talking to GM doesn't work, park your NEW rv smack dab in front of the service bays blocking the doors til its repaired while your in front of the sales doors warning everyone that walks in the kind service they can expect.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If talking to GM doesn't work, park your NEW rv smack dab in front of the service bays blocking the doors til its repaired while your in front of the sales doors warning everyone that walks in the kind service they can expect.

That won’t accomplish anything other than alienating the entire dealership IMO, and guarantee NO REPAIR.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:27 AM   #18
notanlines

I actually like Texan's idea, but also realize that isn't the correct way to handle the situation. You've learned a hard lesson about what dealer to use, but I think that your best bet is to face the GM directly like was suggested before and cover this very business-like. If he doesn't tell you that the RV will be repaired immediately, don't make any threats or demands. Simply take to social media and to the BBB. Also go to their website and to any other RV sites they may be mentioned and tell what happened. Always give them the lowest rating possible, but don't fabricate any tales. And once this is fixed, remember who you DON'T go back to. Another thing, you should have started your original post with the name of this dealership AND the name of the general manager. Take control of your situation if you haven't already.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #19
tomd

Same issue: New Keystone 5th wheel, discovered on first check-out trip Sewer Valves (black and grey) were left OPEN by dealer from "PDI". Since it was a new trailer, I was not aware position of lever was in OPEN state. Needless to say, it was a messy dump experience.
Now the valve also leaks WHEN CLOSED as well. So second dump was also a mess.
In January I asked for repair, schedule for 20 days later. STILL WAITING for authorization for troubleshooting.
1) why didn't PDI tech close the valve.
2) why didn't PDI tech find the leak in the first place.
3) why is it no response of repair after nearly 3 weeks in the shop.
Last night I wrote to keystone, will be visiting dealer (Camping World, Valencia) soon. And yes, the check for purchase is instantly cashed...
Sign me as NOT a HAPPY CAMPER!
tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Same issue: New Keystone 5th wheel, discovered on first check-out trip Sewer Valves (black and grey) were left OPEN by dealer from "PDI". Since it was a new trailer, I was not aware position of lever was in OPEN state. Needless to say, it was a messy dump experience.
Now the valve also leaks WHEN CLOSED as well. So second dump was also a mess.
In January I asked for repair, schedule for 20 days later. STILL WAITING for authorization for troubleshooting.
1) why didn't PDI tech close the valve.
2) why didn't PDI tech find the leak in the first place.
3) why is it no response of repair after nearly 3 weeks in the shop.
Last night I wrote to keystone, will be visiting dealer (Camping World, Valencia) soon. And yes, the check for purchase is instantly cashed...
Sign me as NOT a HAPPY CAMPER!
These are questions for your selling dealer. No one here can answer those questions since they weren’t there. What I can tell you is that not all dealers deal with the sale/delivery of a new RV the same way. When it comes to service, again not all dealers handle it the same.

Just because you dropped it off on a particular date, doesn’t mean it was looked at that day. Depending on staffing and scheduling it may sit for a period of time before anything is done. Is it right? Not in the eyes of the buyer, but there is only so many techs and bays. Our particular dealer has 3 bays and 5 techs. Call today and you’ll be scheduled for the END OF APRIL, and that’s to drop it off. It may sit for a week before being looked at.

Yeah you shouldn’t have had these issues from the start, but those are DEALER issues not Keystone issues IMO.