Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #21
Ductape

If you come up 81N to 84E,
to 90E to 290E
to 495N to 95 N into Maine...

It will save you a bundle of money.

Couple dollar toll on 90E
Few dollars on 95 in NH
Handful of dollars on Maine Turnpike depending on how far north you go

As a former commercial driver, that is certainly the route I would take.
Ductape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #22
retiredusps69

NJ Easy Pass

NJ.you just list on your account all Cars, Trucks, Trailers RV. By Plate and type of unit. I forgot to add my sons Horse Trailer to the account and later received a fine in the mail.We were able to call and add the trailer and they removed the fine.It also happened in Delaware the transponder was at its experation date, yes there is a 10 year life.Called Delaware and had to send them proof of money in the account at the time of travel. They removed the fine.
George Washington Bridge you have touse upper level follow the Hazmat Route,Second lane from the right. All because of propane tanks, Some idiot put apartments over a Interstate highway and they classify it a tunnel.Years ago I got on lower level with a Gaso;ine Trailer Fine was $500.00 Pay before you get released in Cash or Cert Ck.Ny has alot of Low bridges and roads marked PKY but you can only use a Passenger car. Many Arched Bridges you have to use left lane. If it was me do not use GW Bridge.
retiredusps69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:16 PM   #23
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ductape View Post
to 90E to 290E
to 495N to 95 N into Maine...
I knew something I wrote didn't look right. That's my fault doing it from memory

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:56 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91yj View Post
No idea if they still do it, but back in the '80's I took the PA Turnpike from Philly to Harrisburg, when exiting the Turnpike to pay the toll, they tacked $25 onto the toll because I "made it too fast"...essentially I was speeding the whole way (late at night, no one was on the road). The toll tickets are time stamped, so I had no defense (and I was guilty as hell). Thankfully it wasn't a moving violation. No idea if they still do that or not, if they do, I'm sure the fine has gone up.
I drove the NJ Turnpike for years when they would do that. I'd drive fast and plan my fuel/food stop on the TPK to average the speed down.

To the OP, Maryland now will give you an ezepass free. Definitely get one. Also ALL parkways in NE are truck/trailer no go. Avoid DC and NY City at all costs. Also avoid Boston as it has a tunnel.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:16 PM   #25
Laredo240MK2015

For NY, you just have to go through a manned toll station instead of the unmanned ones. The operator will bump up a level as you go through. NY has a weird system for tolls, it is more expensive for a fifth wheel than a TT because they measure the height above the drive axles as well as axles.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:36 PM   #26
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I drove the NJ Turnpike for years when they would do that. I'd drive fast and plan my fuel/food stop on the TPK to average the speed down.

To the OP, Maryland now will give you an ezepass free. Definitely get one. Also ALL parkways in NE are truck/trailer no go. Avoid DC and NY City at all costs. Also avoid Boston as it has a tunnel.
NJ ....... Garden State Parkway allows trailers on the entire length as long as TV has non-commercial tags. Tow vehicles with commercial plates (may be a weight limit, not sure) must exit above Exit # 105 but are allowed south to Exit #1. (Cape May Ferry to Delaware) NY all Parkways no trucks or trailers
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:16 AM   #27
raptor300mpfamily

FL to Maine

I travel from the southern Adirondack’s of NY to the east coast of Florida and Bar Harbor yearly.

Unless there is something you really want to see on the I95 corridor, I would avoid it. As others have suggested, taking 81 to a point north of NYC is the best plan. You have serveral options heading N/B:

81 to 78 (PA) to 287 to 87 (NJ & NY) to 90 to 290 to 495 to 95 (NY, MA & ME) - this route gets you off of 81 before the disaster called Wilkes Barre Scranton on 81 in PA. However, if you are in prime travel hours 78 and 287 can get hectic too. Once you hit 87 N/B you are gold until 290/495 close to Boston

81 to 84 to 87 then same as above - you have to go through WBS in PA - it’s a little hilly and curvy, but would be my preferred route if I was coming up on 78/287 anywhere near rush hour.

81 to 88 to 90 - takes you a little north of where you need to be but less tolls and coming up on a pretty time of year for the route.

Everything north of Florida is EZ pass based. MA has totally eliminated toll booths and just charges your transponder at certain points. I think they’ll also charge to plate but the toll is more expensive.

NH and ME still have toll booths but most have fast lanes so you don’t slow down. They’ll also charge to plate but you only have 14 days to pay on their website I believe.

NY has the least amount of fast lanes for EZ pass, but a previous post re: going to a manned booth is incorrect. Some people chose to since you toll is based on # of axles and the camera occasionally gets it wrong, but mostly with smaller trailers. Stay away from the Taconic parkway. (Pro tip - you can still use EZ pass in manned booths - EZ pass only lanes are often backed up).

If you must travel 95 I would suggest only doing so in the metro areas late night early morning. Otherwise you’re gonna wear your brakes and foot out in bumper to bumper traffic. You also have to be aware of tunnnel restrictions w/ propane tanks, etc. Looking at mileage may seem like you are going way out of your way, but you’ll make up for it in reduced travel time.

TL;DR - get an EZ pass - the convenience will pay for itself. Avoid 95 from Richmond to Boston if at all possible, even if it adds triple digit mileage to your trip.
raptor300mpfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:05 PM   #28
packnrat

all these numbers.
first: as you "approach" at added tax rd. is there any signage so you can get off before getting wacket for a added tax up use public roads?

second. maps showing the open roads ver the added tax roads? as well as size /weight restrictions?

can one travel around said areas and not be forced to use the added tax roadways just to get from point A to point B?

yes i say added tax roads as we have already paid our city, state, and fed road taxes.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #29
Ccrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Never traveled that way with the RV. The tolls get pretty high for cars on some of the toll roads. The Nice bridge from MD to VA charges $6.00 for 2 axles and $18.00 for 4. With that exception we avoid tolls as much as possible.
Woodrow Wilson Bridge is the only bridge on 95 from MD to VA, and there's no toll on that bridge. If you go around the Capitol Beltway to VA the other way then it's the American Legion Bridge, which also has no toll.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:35 AM   #30
lmf580

I live in ny. The EZ pass is good.Also it is accepted on the Massachusetts turnpike, there are no toll booths on the mass pike, so the ez pass is a must there.
lmf580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:03 AM   #31
Laredo Tugger

Because we are going to see Dollywood in TN (her choice not mine) it appears my route will be similar to the one raptor300mpfamily posted. I will getting my EZ Pass this week. I also have already made reservations at CGs on this route. Should be good to go.
Thanks
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:17 PM   #32
Tbos

The Harry Nice bridge is on Rt 301 from MD to VA and it’s $18.00 for a total of 4 axles.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #33
Laredo Tugger

So I have been real busy getting the TV and 5er for an upcoming month (or more?) long trip that we are leaving on this Sunday. I did not get the EZ Pass yet so I thought, oh well I'll just be social and stop at the tolls and pay the cash (like I have a choice?).
I called the PA office that manages their toll system and asked if I could purchase the pass on site at a toll station or similar office. She said yes but I was also able to purchase the EZ Pass at Walmart? Huh?
Anybody heard of this? Not being from that part of the country where they tax you to build a road and then make you pay to use it,again Huh???
I"m not familiar with the purchase options needed to comply here.
Thanks
RMc
Old 09-13-2018, 01:52 AM   #34
notanlines

Laredo, we see toll roads/bridges most every state we visit. As a matter of fact, just across your border with Louisiana there is a toll bridge south of Golden Meadow on the way to Grand Isle to fish. One may purchase a pass at the local grocery store if you wish. These days most projects are done on borrowed money and then use the toll to help offset the financing.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:01 AM   #35
SummitPond

In Florida you can buy a Sun-Pass (FL's version of EZ-Pass) at grocery stores, but you can't buy the EZ-Pass (it's not valid in the state). Perhaps it's only at WalMarts in PA. Depending on your route, you may need (or want) it before you hit PA. Often the passes are sold at manned toll booths. There are also "service centers" in the various states where one can be purchased (if you don't mind waiting in a long line). I'm certain you can find out from the different states' web sites.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:55 AM   #36
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Laredo, we see toll roads/bridges most every state we visit. As a matter of fact, just across your border with Louisiana there is a toll bridge south of Golden Meadow on the way to Grand Isle to fish. One may purchase a pass at the local grocery store if you wish. These days most projects are done on borrowed money and then use the toll to help offset the financing.
Don't let him fool ya'... we got toll roads here to... I was driving on one between Ft Worth and Dallas in the late 60's.. I love toll roads, and take them whenever I can... one trip from DFW to San Antonio on I35 will make you a believer in toll roads..
Old 09-13-2018, 07:24 AM   #37
Thomasbeau

I live in CT and got my EZ-Pass from Mass. Because of the weight of my TV and the combination plates they required me to get a commercial account. No fee just a different designation. They sent me two transponders, one for the truck alone and one for the truck and trailer combined. I have to remember to switch them when I tow but no trouble so far. I throw some cash on the account before I travel and no issues.

New York really annoyed me a couple years ago when I paid a crazy toll because my 5th wheel was over 7 ft. There was a height surcharge and the toll on the New York Thruway from the Mass line to Syracuse was almost $50. The booth agent actually apologized because he felt the fee was obscene. At first I thought he was ripping me off but it was on the receipt and legit. New York seems to toll you to death.
2015 F350 SD Lariat Platinum Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel
Thomasbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:27 AM   #38
travelin texans

Our son/grandkids lived in Gig Harbor Washington for a couple years & to get there you drove across the Tacoma narrows bridge, free going north, but paid to go south. We stayed for a month + in Gig Harbor & in that month the bridge toll raised 3 times, for a total of 50% in 1 month.
Along the same lines, on July 1st the rv park we stayed in prices went from $750 + electric per month to $125 per day regardless of the length of stay, that's when we left, not that nice of park to charge that kind of $$. They touted on their website what a wonderful pool they have, the entire time we were there it appeared to be filled with lime jello & was closed, that was mid May & June til July 1st.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #39
JRTJH
Site Team

There are campgrounds in every state that "create legends in their own mind" then charge legendary rates for the privilege of staying with them. The couple in that category in Michigan really think they're "special"... In a southern tradition, I'd tell them, "That's nice".....

Anyway, the same "monthly rate conversion to daily, no options charges" happened with us in Surfside Beach, Texas a few years ago. It was $215 a week until April 1, then it went to $75 a day ($525/wk) with no monthly rate available. Needless to say, we started our "trip back to Michigan" on April 1....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #40
Laredo Tugger

I'll answer my own question here. YES !!
After traveling through the northeast corridor (up through the New England states to Maine and back over to West NY) I can honestly say, toll roads suck!!
I do not know how people live free in this area. A trip across state (in NY) can be close to $100 or more. How are supposed to go visit grandma on the other side of the state? Break your piggy bank open and bring your wallet,that's how.
DW talked to a local woman at Wal Mart. She said that the locals find ways around toll booths only to have the state set up new collection stations. Maybe the tags (license and registration) cost are cheaper than most states, i don't know but I will say for the money they collect,these were some of the worst roads I have ever driven on.
Sorry, I don't call this freedom. I'll call what it is (literally) Highway Robbery!!
Nice place to visit but I am never coming back this way again.
RMc