Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2018, 05:22 AM   #21
wiredgeorge

I think what was said is that the OP has an F150 with some towing capability and a kiddo and expects to camp for 5 years. Some of the sage gurus pointed out that a KZ trailer is not up to snuff. I think the wise thing to do would be to not get hung up on ONE floor plan and look for a bit smaller (lighter) trailer that fits the needs of the family and has the features needed to make camping fun. Only the OP can gauge what features these are but if it is his first trailer, these features will be GREATLY modified after camping a few times so buy a smaller USED trailer that can be traded in; the wrong trailer now means once the thing is off the lot, he will be upside down on the loan and stuck with it. It is also not fun to pull a trailer that is really too much for a certain truck. OP has to weigh what has been said and make his own decisions.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:47 AM   #22
Javi

Like my old daddy used to say... life is a series of tests... and some of us are predisposed to failure..
Old 11-15-2018, 06:26 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

From my perspective, and I'm not saying it's the only or even the best one, the OP's priority is to get a trailer with the basic amenities of the Cougar that can be towed by his current truck. That trailer is going to be difficult to find.

Most RV manufacturers produce "competitive models" that try to "one up the competition", so finding the floorplan with similar size tanks, similar features is going to also be similar in size and weight. Eliminating features changes the "appeal of that model" and changing tank sizes, appliance sizes or length (size) of the trailer are features of that model. Changing any of that changes the "appeal". How much that change means is different for each family.

Are there trailers that can be safely towed by the OP's truck? Certainly that answer is a resounding "YES". Are they going to have the floorplan, space and features of the Cougar model, the trailer his DW wants? The answer to that is a "less firm, NO".

The decision, ultimately depends on the OP and his DW. What is important, what can we live without, what is best for our family and the way we want to use the trailer we buy? They may find that a smaller trailer is acceptable, they may find that the Cougar (or larger) is the only acceptable choice and upgrading the tow vehicle is the best option.

What works for me, what works for someone else may not be what works for the OP and his family.

IMHO, that's why Baskin Robins has been so successful. With 31 different choices, there's something for everyone and standing in line, there are no "wrong choices", they all come in either a cone or a cup..... Something for everyone

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #24
travelin texans

Too bad there's not a way to notify NEW rv buyers that in reality there are NO 1/2 ton towable rvs & NO, 1/2 trucks for rvs, note I said "rvs" they may tow heavy lower profile trailers just fine, over about 8k lbs aren't tow vehicles. It would sure save a lot headache/heartache/money, but that's how most of the rest of us learned what we're trying to pass on.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #25
Northofu1

With the steady incline of trailer sales, where is the next Ralph Nader when you need him?

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #26
kayakjim

Five words. CAT Scale & Tongue weight scale (Amazon 130 bucks)

Stop all the guessing of what you have on each axle. If you stay with the F150 then upgrade the tires to E's (123T). Potholes and 4 ply loaded to the max do not go well together.
kayakjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:43 AM   #27
BadmanRick

My friend has a 2016 f150 eco boost and the trailer rating for his 4x4 truck was supposed to be 12500 lbs. he was pulling a 31 ft trailer which weighed 7000 lbs. He drove it down from Kentucky to Fort Myers Fl and said he would not tow it any longer. The truck was way too light to tow this large trailer. He drove over to north trail rv and traded the trailer in on a motor home. He kept the truck as he can tow it 4 down behind the motor home. So be careful what you tow with that f150.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:49 AM   #28
Third Degree

Ok, I'll jump in here. I have the 2018 Ford F-150 with the 5.0 and 3.55 axle. I tow the 27SAB Cougar with it and the trailers dry weight is 6610. The truck on the scales with full fuel, 36 gallons of gas, the dog, some stuff in the truck cab, empty bed, Firestone air bags, and the wife and I, weighs 5680.

I put the trailer and truck on the scales with our stuff in it, full propane, two batteries, 14000 pound Equilizer hitch, B-Q, two bikes on the back, tools, etc, and no water. The total package was 13520. The truck total is rated at 14400. Yes, I'm close to my maxium and I really do know it.

There is plenty of power to tow this trailer, power is not the issue, stopping is not the issue. I have the Firestone air bags which I inflate to 20 lbs, I increase the tire pressure on the truck to 44 lbs. I can tell the trailer is back there. You are not going to be running down the freeway at 70 mph, it's more like 60 with 65 being your maxium, again not because of the lack of power, but the lack of control.

If you are planning on short trips, my idea of a short trip is under 200 miles per day, then you could do it if you are the patient type, following speeds recommend in curves, and on the roadway. If you can't stay in those limits then you need to upgrade your rig.

Yes, I will upgrade my truck when I decide to make those long runs, but for now it does work.
Third Degree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Degree View Post
Ok, I'll jump in here. I have the 2018 Ford F-150 with the 5.0 and 3.55 axle. I tow the 27SAB Cougar with it and the trailers dry weight is 6610. The truck on the scales with full fuel, 36 gallons of gas, the dog, some stuff in the truck cab, empty bed, Firestone air bags, and the wife and I, weighs 5680.

I put the trailer and truck on the scales with our stuff in it, full propane, two batteries, 14000 pound Equilizer hitch, B-Q, two bikes on the back, tools, etc, and no water. The total package was 13520. The truck total is rated at 14400. Yes, I'm close to my maxium and I really do know it.

There is plenty of power to tow this trailer, power is not the issue, stopping is not the issue. I have the Firestone air bags which I inflate to 20 lbs, I increase the tire pressure on the truck to 44 lbs. I can tell the trailer is back there. You are not going to be running down the freeway at 70 mph, it's more like 60 with 65 being your maxium, again not because of the lack of power, but the lack of control.

If you are planning on short trips, my idea of a short trip is under 200 miles per day, then you could do it if you are the patient type, following speeds recommend in curves, and on the roadway. If you can't stay in those limits then you need to upgrade your rig.

Yes, I will upgrade my truck when I decide to make those long runs, but for now it does work.

Jim, do yourself a favor and replace those P rated tires with some LTs sooner rather than later - a very weak spot in your setup IMO.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:28 AM   #30
66joej

^ Agee. LT tires would be the single most important upgrade if one must tow with a 1/2 ton. JMO YMMV

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #31
Northofu1

I was looking on the Ford website and they are advertising that the f150's with the 3.5 eco boost has a payload of 3300# (Approx) and a total towing capacity of 13,500#
Is this really what they can handle or are they making the truck too light to handle that kind of load?

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:07 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I was looking on the Ford website and they are advertising that the f150's with the 3.5 eco boost has a payload of 3300# (Approx) and a total towing capacity of 13,500#
Is this really what they can handle or are they making the truck too light to handle that kind of load?

All of the truck manufacturers play games with their published stats. Ford is by far the worst IMO. Average truck buyers are not going to get a truck with their maximum towing capacities in every category unless they do LOTS of shopping and more than likely end up with a truck that doesn't fulfill their needs. As for your question:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...ide_Sep28r.pdf

Read the red comments on pages 18/19. These are placed there as a warning but most disregard them - they like those big numbers on the brochure whether they apply to them specifically or not. Those max numbers they advertise are there, but, look at the truck that offers them and the trim level.
Then look at the option package that allows those numbers.

http://www.diehlford.com/images/pdf/...ides/f-150.pdf

Look at page 5 for option 53c and note what is included. You can also see what other equipment is included on page 16 of the previous post.

If you will notice even on the HD towing package there is nothing mentioned about "same springs as a 250", "heavier frame than regular F 150s" etc. etc. It tells you exactly what is there....from Ford.

Bottom line is that they give you big numbers because they have artificially juiced up the 3.5L V6 with twin turbos and optimistic numbers (I have made a previous post of one of the 3.5 turbo dyno results). They use those juiced up numbers to give you "juiced up" guidelines for towing which many will believe instead of doing their due diligence. In the end you have a 1/2 ton truck with a stiffer sway bar and some towing conveniences with inflated towing numbers that will get a person in over their head with a large trailer simply because the truck is not made to pull that big of a trailer....as has been verified by several posts on this and other forums.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:13 PM   #33
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
^ Agee. LT tires would be the single most important upgrade if one must tow with a 1/2 ton. JMO YMMV
And a set of Bilstein shocks
Old 11-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #34
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Degree View Post

You're under the max tow rating, but what about the truck payload?? With all the stuff you mentioned I'd bet you're over the payload for the truck. With new shocks, LT tires & inflate the air bags to whatever psi desired, none of which add anything to the payload, in fact everything added other factory equipped subtracts from the payload.
Replacement undetermined
Old 11-22-2018, 04:26 PM   #35
Tebpac

This May help?

Tebpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:55 AM   #36
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Good video. Very clear and easy to follow.

I think what happens a lot of times is that the truck is owned already, the man has been drooling over a trailer for a long time, the wife has a weak moment and says let's look at a trailer! When she says let's look it's a done deal. Then they realize after the trailer purchase that's too much trailer but can't go back and have to just keep going forward with the set up they have. Then justification starts up. I think this happens a lot.

It's just human nature. We see the shiny object. We buy the shiny object. The shiny object was more than we bargained for. We're stuck with the shiny object. We compromise and make due with the shiny object. If we were fish, the shiny object would be called a lure.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #37
travelin texans

It seems odd that most any mention of trucks the one that is brought up is F150/250/350, there are 2 other brands that are just as capable, more so in my opinion, that doesn't have a "F" in the model or name anywhere.
Not wanting a truck war, just wondering how/why those seem to be the chosen go to tow vehicle, they must be the cheapest. I've driven enough of them for 30+ years at work to know it's not because they're the best.
Just my .02 cents!!
Replacement undetermined
Old 11-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #38
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
It seems odd that most any mention of trucks the one that is brought up is F150/250/350, there are 2 other brands that are just as capable, more so in my opinion, that doesn't have a "F" in the model or name anywhere.
Not wanting a truck war, just wondering how/why those seem to be the chosen go to tow vehicle, they must be the cheapest. I've driven enough of them for 30+ years at work to know it's not because they're the best.
Just my .02 cents!!
Been a GM guy all my life. Will be till I die. I just ignore the others and wink at their owners from time to time when they're going on and on. Really unsettles them. LOL.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:07 PM   #39
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Been a GM guy all my life. Will be till I die. I just ignore the others and wink at their owners from time to time when they're going on and on. Really unsettles them. LOL.
DITTO!!! Some are VERY sensitive about it!
In fact when we went fulltime an older fulltimer told us there's 3 things you DO NOT mention in a rv park, 1- politics, 2- religion, 3- best brand of truck, all of which will start heated arguments.
Replacement undetermined
Old 11-23-2018, 12:28 PM   #40
notanlines

Generally in this world, when one owns an inferior product, they will spend a lot of time bashing the better product to make theirs look better. Loser politicians are like that during elections. Buy what you like and can afford. If you can’t afford the best then be happy with what you have, trucks, RV’s, whatever.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar