Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2019, 06:58 AM   #1
TN Traveler

Sewer Hose Kit Recommendations

I need a new sewer hose and I'm thinking I'll go ahead and get one of the kits with new ends, etc.

We will likely use our Cougar full time for a few months in this new year and, overall, we hope to use our RV a lot this year.

15 feet? 20 feet? Clear elbows? Brands? What to stay away from? Recommendations please.
B&W Companion

TN Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:15 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Sewer hose kits come in a variety of lengths and prices. Clear end is always nice when flushing the black tank. I think it comes down to personal preference, only real recommendation I would have is some type of support to keep the hose flowing correctly and off the ground.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:18 AM   #3
Canonman

We bought the good old standard Rino Flex at Wally World. 15' works most of the time but also picked up a 10' extension and have needed it only twice in 5 years. The semi clear elbow comes standard and lets me see all I need to
You can spend a lot more, but we've had no problems. We keep it stored in the bumper and only pull it out to dump, usually as we leave to travel to the next destination so sun deterioration isn't an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-8120.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	341.0 KB
ID:	19795  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If you do the "fence post cover sewer hose storage", you can use the "gutter drawer" as a support. It's only about 7.5' long, but is usually enough to support and cradle the sewer hose to the campground connection. If you haven't done, or don't plan to do the mod, then something like the CAMCO Sidewinder for around $30 would work well.

The CAMCO Revolution sewer hose kit I have is about 5 years old, is two 10' hoses with end caps (stores dry and compressed with the caps on) has a "clear" (actually cloudy clear) fitting that connects to the campground sewer fitting. There are multiple terminal styles on the 90 degree adapter and will adapt to almost any campground sewer outlet. It will give you the versatility to use a single 10' section (very often all you'll need) or connect the two together if you need more. You can buy two kits (I have two) to allow for up to 40' of sewer hose if needed. I rotate my hoses so they wear evenly and expect them to last several more years before replacement.

There are some "advertised as more durable" and some "priced way higher" kits available. I can't say they're any better or worse. I bought these at WalMart when we bought the Cougar and haven't looked back. They are still available at WalMart, so buying replacements or parts locally should remain an option.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:34 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
We bought the good old standard Rino Flex at Wally World. 15' works most of the time but also picked up a 10' extension and have needed it only twice in 5 years. The semi clear elbow comes standard and lets me see all I need to
You can spend a lot more, but we've had no problems. We keep it stored in the bumper and only pull it out to dump, usually as we leave to travel to the next destination so sun deterioration isn't an issue.

We use the same as Canonman with the exception of a clear elbow vs semi clear. The semi makes you guess when water flow has completely stopped or is completely clear vs the completely clear elbow - no guessing. We have one campground that requires the extension depending on which site you get and have used our extension once, but, when you need it, you need it.

We also use the little accordion looking graded support for the sewer hose. Many locations have sites that are less than optimal for draining the hose, the support eliminates that. Earlier this year we had a guy set up behind us and just threw his sewer hose on the ground. It was uphill all the way to the sewer drain; he had it laying over a piece of 4x4, coiled up in one location and obviously it had a large "uphill" section as it went to the L that went into the sewer trap. I observed him trying to dump about the 2nd time looking it over like he had a problem. Then he was picking up the hose from the trap end and it was obviously full. Pulled it up (back toward the trailer), put it down, scratched his head, then started at the drain exit at the trailer and got it emptied. I went out and asked if he needed help; he said no - he had it but his hose must be stopped up. I pointed out his hose would never drain the way it was routed and suggested the little accordion support like we had. He said "Oh, I wondered what that was for"......
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #6
Happy Dad

The hose that came with our trailer ends up looking like a snake when I dump, lol.

Are the aftermarket hoses less prone to this? We do use a sewer frame support but the factory hose just jumped right out of it. The second time I even tried to open the valve slowly but it sill ended up turning into a snake.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #7
Frank G

X3 for the Rino-Flex with a clear elbow and a accordion support.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #8
xrated

I bought the Valterra 20' Viper with the clear end 90 degree fitting and also the Camco Sidewinder support for the hose. I've done the under the trailer mod using the 5" vinyl fence post with a 4" vinyl gutter that fits inside of it....end caps on both pieces and lockable with small locks on the hasps. The Sidewinder stores in a fairly small plastic container to keep things clean....

Since the gas line ran along the trailer on the street side, I had to space the mounting down to go across the trailer with the vinyl fence post carrier....I used a couple of pieces of Unistrut....pictured here
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Dad View Post
The hose that came with our trailer ends up looking like a snake when I dump, lol.

Are the aftermarket hoses less prone to this? We do use a sewer frame support but the factory hose just jumped right out of it. The second time I even tried to open the valve slowly but it sill ended up turning into a snake.

Others may have a different experience but mine has never jumped or moved when I dump the tanks. Maybe a difference in the type of hoses (construction)?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:33 PM   #10
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Dad View Post

All sewer hoses are 'aftermarket'. Keystone does not supply hoses or fittings, so your dealer probably included some basic stuff with your rig when you bought it. Just like most things, most of the time the more you pay, the better quality you get. Sometimes, even the higher priced parts are poorly made and leak where the cheaper stuff may last years, so it's all just luck sometimes.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:45 PM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
All sewer hoses are 'aftermarket'. Keystone does not supply hoses or fittings, so your dealer probably included some basic stuff with your rig when you bought it. Just like most things, most of the time the more you pay, the better quality you get. Sometimes, even the higher priced parts are poorly made and leak where the cheaper stuff may last years, so it's all just luck sometimes.
Agree! The water hose with the so-called regulator & sewer hose your dealer most likely threw in on the deal are probably the cheapest you could buy anywhere.
I also prefer the Viper sewer hose over the Rhino, just as tough but more flexible & not as big of ends. And prefer the clear 90 or 45 degree fitting.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:26 AM   #12
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I bought the Valterra 20' Viper with the clear end 90 degree fitting and also the Camco Sidewinder support for the hose. I've done the under the trailer mod using the 5" vinyl fence post with a 4" vinyl gutter that fits inside of it....end caps on both pieces and lockable with small locks on the hasps. The Sidewinder stores in a fairly small plastic container to keep things clean....

Since the gas line ran along the trailer on the street side, I had to space the mounting down to go across the trailer with the vinyl fence post carrier....I used a couple of pieces of Unistrut....pictured here

That's slick thanks for the pics, now I'm going have to make one.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #13
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
That's slick thanks for the pics, now I'm going have to make one.
Thank You.....the only thing I'm thinking about doing is painting it black to kind of match the area it's mounted in. The white kind of sticks out like a sore thumb.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #14
Qwerty

I'd like to draw everyone's attention to this video I cropped. The reason is self-evident & I'd encourage folks to the view this wonderfully instructive video in its entirety.

https://ytcropper.com/cropped/df5c3783217f7c4

Hornet 26RBS
Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Magnum
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #15
daveinaz

The Revolution hoses seem to be pretty good. Like others, I tend to buy in the middle of the price range.

The "kit" that the dealer gives tends to be junk! When we got our motorhome years ago, the dealer gave us a "starter kit" which included a sewer hose. We took the motorhome to our house to go over it and get it ready for the road. We cleaned out all the tanks. Our black tank was filled with hot soapy water. I got ready to empty it and hooked up the "complimentary" sewer hose. I would describe its quality as looking like someone stretched a condom over a slinky. But I hooked it up and pulled the valve. Fluid started flowing through the hose. First there was a small pin prick leak, then another one, then a few of them. Suddenly the hose ruptured completely covering me in hot soapy water. Fortunately, it was hot soapy water and not cold liquified poop!

I was just glad that it happened the way it did, in our driveway with soapy water as opposed to poop in the campground. I was angry, but not as angry as I would have been if the latter had happened.

So, my moral of the story is, you get what you pay for and don't go cheap on a sewer hose...
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:28 PM   #16
shermris

I have a 15 foot and a 10 foot and use the one that fits best. I also have a coupler and could make a 25 foot, (which I've never needed to do). I have a clear fitting on both ends and also use a hose support to provide a drain angle. I've always used Rhio-Flex hoses and never had any problem, although I've heard some people say they've had hoses blow apart at the end connections.
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #17
fourfourto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
I'd like to draw everyone's attention to this video I cropped. The reason is self-evident & I'd encourage folks to the view this wonderfully instructive video in its entirety.

https://ytcropper.com/cropped/df5c3783217f7c4
Original video 25 min don't have time,
I can tell you that when you curve the clear angle fitting up it will work ,I also loop up hose on small tripod foldable seat. .
works for me

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #18
TN Traveler

Thanks everyone for your input.
B&W Companion

TN Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:04 PM   #19
mtofell

Get rid of the stinky slinky and dump through a garden hose with a macerator. After 20 years of RVing I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. $200 and I'll never touch another 3" hose. I can run the hose to the sewer cleanout at my house so no more waiting at dump stations on Sunday, no more making the kids "hold it" until we get home after dumping. When I'm out camping now I usually just attach the hose and drain gray, then deal with the black once I'm at home. If I need to dump black it's super quick. Just attach the macerator and empty. I still keep a slinky in my bumper just in case but I can't imagine ever using it again. 40K for a truck, 35K for an RV. $200 to make dealing with my poop 1/20 the effort it was before is a no-brainer.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:54 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Get rid of the stinky slinky and dump through a garden hose with a macerator. .... I still keep a slinky in my bumper just in case but I can't imagine ever using it again....
One problem with using a macerator at every dump is the loss of "volume and rapid flow" through the sewer hose. While the convenience of a macerator can't be easily beat, it does open the potential for solids to not be "picked up by the rapid flow" provided in a 3" sewer hose. You may find that flushing and filling the tank with the "benefit" of rapid evacuation does have merit.

I'm not criticizing your process, just commenting that using a macerator all the time doesn't keep the tank "fully evacuated".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote