Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2018, 06:30 AM   #1
Mick 1836

Help, Whats this with Water Running Out?

2018 Keystone Alpine 3500 RL.

Just returned from a cycle ride to find as you can see water pouring from this item and the pitch floor under the 5th wheel soaking wet? Don't know of any plumbing rear of the center isle dish washer so what is this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2970.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	19735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2971.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	19736  
Mick 1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:39 AM   #2
Mick 1836

Ok, I also posted this question with photo's on the Facebook Kingstone Alpine Group and one member says its the tank overflow, I presume fresh water, but here is my further problem we have owned and lived in this 5th Wheel since February this year, the fresh water tank according to the In-Command display is only filled one out of the 3 segments, the RV is connected via a hose to the pitch tap using the city system and has been so since February?
Old 12-30-2018, 07:48 AM   #3
Lee

Hi,

There is suppose to be a 1-way valve between city water input and the fresh water tank to prevent the tank from filling when connected to city water..... wonder if it has failed and fill ed the fresh tank,.... even though the Fresh tank sensor does not indicate full.

Turn off city supply line ,.... does overflow stop leaking?

Lee

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:16 AM   #4
Mick 1836

Hi Lee, thanks for your reply, before posting I turned off the city supply tap and switched on the onboard water pump to drain water off the fresh water tank and yes the water stopped running from that outlet, on the Facebook Alpine Group posting one member mentions an Anderson can't leak valve others suggest an O ring on the City / Fresh water tank valve requires replacing?????? I could understand this if I'd ever operated this valve but I havent?
Old 12-30-2018, 08:25 AM   #5
Mick 1836

Lee, we bought our Alpine 3500RL brand new this February from an English dealer who obviously bought it from the States possibly direct from Keystone, the dealer then shipped the 5th wheeler to our camp site here in Spain.

As it is still under warranty I need to obtain enough information as to any faults and parts required so that our dealer can order and have them shipped to him in the UK before bringing and fitting them here in Spain, hope that clarifies our situation?
Old 12-30-2018, 08:35 AM   #6
jsmith948

Sometimes, construction debris/dirt will lodge in the check valve that is located either in the pump head or slightly upstream of the pump. This will allow the city water pressure to flow past the pump and overfill the FW tank. We had this happen on a recent trip. Disconnected the city water and used the pump (as you did). Turned the city water on the next day and the problem was gone. Using the pump cleared whatever was blocking the check valve. If that doesn't work, you may have to access the pump and either clean or replace the check valve. If the problem persists, and you think you would want to have a repair shop look at it, you can always just use the on board pump and refill the tank as needed. Good luck

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:38 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

The "Anderson" valve is the brand name of the valve that is in the convenience center and where you hook up the city water hose to. There is a pointer that you rotate to pick the function you want. You might try turning the pointer back and forth a couple of times to see if it will seat correctly. Otherwise a couple of good pics should tell the dealer what you need.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:50 AM   #8
bobbecky

We had our fresh tank overflow several years ago, and it turned out to be the check valve in the water pump had failed. We were not near an RV dealer, so off to the little local hardware store and I purchased a check valve that fit on the 1/2" PEX. I came back and installed the check valve on the pressure side of the water pump, and the problem was solved. I have since replaced the pump for other reasons, but the extra check valve does not need to be removed. The check valve is the brass device in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new check valve.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	19738  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:17 PM   #9
Mick 1836

Ok Guy's have attached a picture of our water / sewage locker first can someone confirm that it looks like our city / tank control valve is one of these Anderson valves?

Now last week for two days our campsite water was turned off and when temporarily back on was very low pressure so I thought it would be a good idea to fill the fresh water tank, I tried with hand pressure only to turn the control but couldn't budge it so I left it until I could ask the forum, sould it be clock or anti clockwise or even pulled out before turning?

On the Facebook Alpine forum one member has already suggests the water to the RV needs to be turned off and the control knob turned clockwise ? Just how stiff should this control knob be?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2972.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	19740  
Old 12-30-2018, 03:09 PM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

I do not have a control center like that but it appears that there is written instructions just outside the edge of the photo.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:13 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

It’s the one with the black pointer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:00 PM   #12
John&Genny

Even though your hose is connected to the “City Water Connection” port, where that water goes is controlled by the black knob under the “Fresh Water Connection” label. You have to look carefully, but the labeling is imprinted on the plastic surrounding the knob and not easy to see. Make sure it’s set for “City Water”. If it’s set for “Fresh Water Tank” instead, you would be filling the tank. I’m not 100% without looking at our Avalanche (in storage), but if I remember correctly, the City Water position is where the black pointer is to the right, not down as you have it now. But again, check the labeling.

The knob is a bit stiff to turn, but you shouldn’t have to torgue on it too much to get it to switch. Perhaps making sure the water is turned off and the hose is disconnected to relieve any pressure in the lines?
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:18 AM   #13
ChuckS

You have the 4 way Anderson valve. When it fails most likely you will overfill fresh water tank.

Always turn city water off when leaving RV.

You can order replacement Anderson valve cartridge and replace it in less than 30 minutes. Repair is done from outside.

I carry a spare replacement cartridge.

And yes... always rotate slowly in CW direction and with city water supply hose turned off if using city water.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:21 AM   #14
ChuckS

Help, Whats this with Water Running Out?

http://www.fitzilla.com/Store/page188.html

Item 3 on above link is replacement part needed

This is a nice how to step by step to replace 4 way valve.

https://bkamericanodyssey.com/2017/1...-rebuild-free/

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #15
BobMcC

First, I blew up your photo -
Normal is 12 o'clock
Sanitize/Winterize is 3 o'clock
City is 6 o'clock
Tank is 9 o'clock.

Looking it up online - I found this:

Four Positions, Four Functions
City – Pressure feed fixtures from 3/4" hose connection on backflow preventer.
Normal – Pump from the on-board tank to the fixtures using on-board pump.
Tank – Pressure fill the tank from 3/4" hose connection at backflow preventer. 100 gallons
in 7 minutes.
Sanitize/Winterize – Draw in sanitizers and winterizing fluids from a bucket utilizing the
on-board pump.
BobMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:26 PM   #16
sandy43

Reference the overflow outlet or valve, whatever you call it, if water runs out the overflow is it possible that water would also leak into the under belly of the RV? I never ever fill my fresh tank more than half full because I'm scared it might flood the storage area. It happened on my previous RV. An explanation of how that works would be great. Thanks

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:12 AM   #17
Frank G

When filling the fresh water tank, when full, it should overflow out the external overflow vent. This is a closed system and nothing should leak into the undercarriage. The overflow can also be used for sanitation and filling the tank.

To further talk about the Anderson Kant leak 4 way valve, I find it hard to turn after it has set in one position for several months. I do not use the FWT anymore or winterize so the valve never gets turned. When I used to turn it I wiggled it back and forth to free up the internal seals. I do carry a spare for the day I need to use the valve again.

For those that need additional lubrication I use the same stuff I use on the swimming pool O-rings, obtained at the pool supply store.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water