Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #21
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadways View Post
Am I doing it wrong? I just leave the trailer plugged in over winter. Never had a problem.
I could do that, but I figure that would give the critters another option to get in.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:07 AM   #22
JGriff

1st season with an TT and I am wondering about battery storage.

I live on Vancouver Island, doesn't go below 32F very often. I live in a small townhouse with no garage, TT is stored off site. TT has battery cutoff and no power to it so I can't keep a charger on them.

Should I remove them ? Ok to leave them on my covered concrete porch on 2x4 blocks with a trickle charge on them ? I have a Genius 3500 charge that says will maintain the batteries.

Sorry, pretty dumb when it comes to electrical.

TIA
JGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

JGriff,

Let's compare "apples to apples":

If you leave the trailer outside (unheated) and plugged into shore power or with the battery cutoff switch "OFF" and a trickle charger connected, then from an "environmental perspective" you've got essentially the same environment, if you store your batteries on your covered porch with a trickle charger connected to them.

I don't see anything to preclude you from storing them on the porch, provided you can protect them from being covered with snow/ice. If it were me, I'd probably place them on a sheet of plywood (or 2x4's), connect the trickle charger and then put a sturdy box or a plastic storage bin over them, just to keep them from being exposed to the wetness from melting ice/snow through the winter.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #24
JGriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
JGriff,

Let's compare "apples to apples":

If you leave the trailer outside (unheated) and plugged into shore power or with the battery cutoff switch "OFF" and a trickle charger connected, then from an "environmental perspective" you've got essentially the same environment, if you store your batteries on your covered porch with a trickle charger connected to them.

I don't see anything to preclude you from storing them on the porch, provided you can protect them from being covered with snow/ice. If it were me, I'd probably place them on a sheet of plywood (or 2x4's), connect the trickle charger and then put a sturdy box or a plastic storage bin over them, just to keep them from being exposed to the wetness from melting ice/snow through the winter.
Thanks for replying so quickly John

I will put the batteries on 3/4" plywood and cover them.

John
JGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:38 AM   #25
larryflew

I do store in large snow area so my solar charge panel is mounted on the side of the 5th wheel where snow would have to be 4 feet deep to affect the charging.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #26
rinaldij

I use a 100 watt amorphous solar panel array (4 panels) during the winter. First sun today in about a week and battery was at 11.8V this morning. I used to disconnect and check charge monthly. This is easier.
rinaldij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #27
brodiegg

I am in a cold climate and pull the battery and trickle charge it once a month in the garage
brodiegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:11 PM   #28
shermris

Last year I just disconnected a fully charged battery and left it outside on the unit. The battery had about a 2/3 charge in the spring. This year I pulled the battery and put it in the garage on a 2x12 board. I plan to charge it or check it every couple of months. I have 3 or 4 trickle maintenance chargers I use for my boat and may go that route if I notice it losing it's charge. I use a solar panel if I'm boon docking and don't want to run the generator and also use the solar charger for my trolling motor in the summer since my motor doesn't charge the deep cycle batteries.
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:56 AM   #29
Cracker

Same for me - and my 1931 Model A sits in storage all winter long without being re-charged. It then starts right up in the Spring without hesitation. The most important thing to survive sub-zero (F) weather is a fully charged battery. The Model A doesn’t have anything drawing from the battery, whereas the trailer has a lot of minor elements requiring power. That’s why I keep the trailer plugged in.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:20 AM   #30
foldbak

Guess I'm spoiled RV is next to the house plugged in. Batteries charged by an Aims inverter charger. Always a 100%

I used to store my RV in covered storage. Remove the batteries and store them on a trickle charger at home. But only if I wasn't going to use it for extended periods of time. Otherwise leave them connected. Check the water level prior to use and plug it in for a couple days before we left. Worked great. They would last about 5 years.
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, storage