Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #1
jwilfong

Question B&W Hitch Height Newbie

Hi everyone! I just bought a B&W Companion 25K and was wondering if anybody knew what hitch height I should put it at medium 17-3/4", or high 18-3/4"? installing on 2019 Chevy 3500HD and going to pull a 2015 Raptor 424 TS Toy Hauler.
jwilfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:36 PM   #2
Kansas Gary

Cant help on where to set it up but you will want to have a minimum of 6 inches of clearance from the top of the bed rails to the bottom of your camper with it hooked up on level ground. If its any closer you might hit the bed on the bottom side of your camper turning from a road to get into say a filling station or driveway..........
Kansas Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
jwilfong

They also say in the manual behind the axle or over axle, I'm thinking over the axle and moving up to the high position at 18-1/2"
Old 11-07-2018, 01:14 PM   #4
TYHLR

When I set mine up I tried various positions in order to get my camper level.

For my rig, I had to set the hitch posts all the way forward and all the way down. This setup made the camper tow level.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #5
Mongoose9400

With the trailer level measure the distance from ground to king pin plate. Set your hitch plate to this plus 1" as a staring point. If you have a long bed then I would set the hitch so the king pin rides over or in front of the rear axel.

2015 F-350 CC LB SRW Platinum
-Michelin LTX A/T 2 - LT275/65R20E Tires
-B&W Ford Puck Mount Companion Hitch
2018 Raptor Predator Series 3513P, GVWR 16,820 lbs.
-Carlisle All Steel CSL16 - ST235/80R16F Tires
Mongoose9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 View Post
With the trailer level measure the distance from ground to king pin plate. Set your hitch plate to this plus 1" as a staring point. If you have a long bed then I would set the hitch so the king pin rides over or in front of the rear axel.
Yea! What he said.
Each truck from any manufacturer with different rvs can all be different. Took about 3 tries before I was happy with clearance & rv running as level as I wanted.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:29 AM   #7
fatcatzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 View Post
This the way mine is setup and our rig rides level.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:45 AM   #8
travelin texans

I forgot to mention, but in my opinion, once you have it setup to your liking I don't think there's a better hitch on the market today as far as ease of hitching/unhitching, not too awfully heavy & they have great customer service.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #9
jwilfong

I ended up sitting up at 17-3/4" and had 6" of bed rail. It was enough to get it home with no problems. Now I need to find time to add the Air Lift Bags and I'm sure that will change somethings. My helper springs had about a 1/2" to touch yet.
Thanks for all the reply's and advise!
Old 11-22-2018, 09:03 AM   #10
dsttexas

Forward vs back

What many folks don't realize is that the frame of this hitch pretty much spreads the weight evenly over the front and rear supports regardless which setting you use, so picking the rear most position for the hitch is perfectly ok and will give you that extra room you might need not only between your cab and the front of trailer, but between rear of truck and front of underneath trailer.

When I bought the hitch and had it installed in my Chevy puck system, I asked for the highest and rearmost positions to be set. They ignored me, and told me the rear setting puts the center of hitch weight behind the axle and was not safe. Not true. Would B&W actually produce a hitch with an unsafe setting?

The position of the weight on the hitch frame is spread over the front and rear pucks fairly evenly.

I confirmed this with the experts at etrailer.com, a great resource.

Tags
hitch, newbie