Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2018, 03:29 AM   #1
jodipitbull

Indoor Winter Storage?

I live in Michigan and wondered if anyone up north puts their RV in indoor storage over winter? I have a seasonal site in northern Michigan so I can leave it here all winter if i want to. I called a local marina and they will keep it in un-heated storage over the winter for $950. How sturdy are these Keystones to endure harsh winters? Or are they well built for that and it’s a waste of money. My camper is new and I just want to take good care of it.
jodipitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:53 AM   #2
Overspray

What type of camper do you have? This will be my first year with mine and I’ll be keeping it indoors. I know of a place over in Richmond for a good price if yours will fit.
Overspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:04 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

We live just east of Gaylord. We built a pole barn specifically for the trailer and boat. I keep adding more "stuff" to store every year. That said, there are far more RV's left out in the snow than are stored indoors. I've never seen anyone have damage from the snow, but I suppose there are some "never had maintenance" RV's that fall apart during the winter and the snow load gets blamed.

We stored ours in East Jordan the first 2 years (before we built the barn) and it was about $250 for the season. Your quote of $950 seems very high for unheated storage. Around here, a 35' fifth wheel costs about $400 for the season and if you shop around, you can find storage for less than $300. Those usually are from farmers who have space in the hay barn, etc, so it may not be "ideal storage" when it comes to mice and other critters.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:16 AM   #4
spicercars

We live in Mn and the going rate is $10 a foot for the season. That's unheated. I have always stored our rv inside I think it makes them last a lot longer. To me $400 a year for inside storage is well worth it.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:48 AM   #5
Ductape

We are in NH, and we store our 2015 Bullet indoors (unheated) for about $430 / six months. Not sure if we are extending the life of our camper by doing so, but we feel the peace of mind is worth it. No repeated freeze / thaw cycles, no UV beating on it six months out of the year.
Ductape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
bill-e

I cover my camper for the winter here in NH, been doing so since 2008. Covers aren't cheap, I spend about $350 every 3 or 4 years. I clean the camper before covering it, winterize it and put a bunch of fabric softener sheets in it to keep the mice population down. In the spring, even before I uncover it I plug it in and run an Eva-Dry Peltier dehumidifier 24/7 through the summer when it's not in use.

In the spring it looks and smells the same as when I closed it up.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:26 AM   #7
LuvsPalmTrees

We have lived in Michigan all of our lives. I have had a pop-up, 25 ft Mallard and now the 30 foot Laredo. We have never covered or stored ours indoors and have not had a problem. No - we don't go in and out in the dead of winter and the bump outs are in. This does not mean that we may encounter a problem in the future, but 30 years of having some type of trailer stored for the winter in our backyard gives me hope that we will not encounter a problem. Now - I would love to have a pole barn to store it in and we are thinking of moving in the near future and a pole barn or the space to build one is on our minds. I think it is a personal preference and if it is in your budget go for it.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #8
linux3

Western NY. I store indoors, unheated, for $13.00 a foot.
I like the idea of my TT being out of the weather and critters.
I found the place I store on creigslist, you make take a look there.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:09 PM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Western NY. I store indoors, unheated, for $13.00 a foot.
I like the idea of my TT being out of the weather and critters.
I found the place I store on creigslist, you make take a look there.
Storing indoors DOES NOT necessarily eliminate critters, they are still looking for warmer places to take up residency. What better place than a building full of water lines & wiring to graze on all winter. You'll still need to critter proof or be prepared come spring.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:16 PM   #10
CrazyCain

winter storage

We have stored our Hideout in East Tawas City campground for the last 2 years and have had zero problems doing so, and will again this coming winter, Like JRTJH (John) said, the "never have maitained Rv" are the ones that fall apart. I check my roof 3-4 times in the summer and at least 2 times in the winter, weather permitting. Oh, and we go up and "camp" there ever other weekend, that probably helps!!

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #11
{tpc}

Ours is out all year round. Ever drive by General RV in the winter? Hundreds outside all winter long.

Even during the deepest of snowstorms I've driven to storage lot to check on it, prepared to dust off the roof, got there and almost nothing on it everytime. I don't know if we have just been lucky, but I think the fact that it isn't being used (ie no heat inside) leads to less buildup and sticking to the roof. Either that or its just windy enough to blow off.

I just figure if the dealer isn't concerned why should I be? I do have friends who store theirs in heated indoor storage but they don't have to pay for it. If I could store it indoors and not pay anymore than the outdoor rate, I'd do it. But I'm not going to worry if I can't.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:53 AM   #12
jodipitbull

I have a 38 foot Laredo BH331
jodipitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:10 PM   #13
B-O-B'03

Mine is covered year round, with water and 30 amp service

-Brian

Tags
storage, winter