Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2018, 12:40 PM   #21
ftrupe

John
Thanks for the lengthy response. Rather than worry about the rims, I cancelled my order and reordered the D load tires. This way I know there will be no issues. BTW, my wheels are aluminum.
Thanks again,
Ed
ftrupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #22
slow

Changing Load Range From C to D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftrupe View Post
John
Thanks for the lengthy response. Rather than worry about the rims, I cancelled my order and reordered the D load tires. This way I know there will be no issues. BTW, my wheels are aluminum.
Thanks again,
Ed

FWIIW: when I checked my 2015 23RB rims they could handle the 80 psi for E load range.

BTW: as you concluded, D load range are ample for the 23RB.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #23
Tinner12002

Quote:
John
Thanks again,
Ed
If you have 6 lug rims they make 16" rims to fit 6 lug so you'd have way more options with 16' rims and tires, 5 lug not so many.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:02 AM   #24
ftrupe

Follow-up to 4/12 post D to E tires

I sent an e mail to Keystone on 4/12 regarding the change from D to E load tires. I finally received a response today:

"Thank you for contacting Keystone/Dutchmen/Crossroads RV. We do not recommend these kind of modifications of this kind. The tires were put on according to specifications for your unit. If we can be of further assistance please contact us at [email protected] or you may call into our call center at 866-425-4369. We are available Mon-Thurs from 8am to 5pm and Fri from 8am to 4pm EST. An advisor will be happy to assist you. Thank you and Have a Good Day."

I guess I made the correct call to cancel the E tires and reorder the D.

Thanks for all your responses.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:38 AM   #25
Cracker

Quote:
I sent an e mail to Keystone on 4/12 regarding the change from D to E load tires. I finally received a response today:

"Thank you for contacting Keystone/Dutchmen/Crossroads RV. We do not recommend these kind of modifications of this kind. The tires were put on according to specifications for your unit. If we can be of further assistance please contact us at [email protected] or you may call into our call center at 866-425-4369. We are available Mon-Thurs from 8am to 5pm and Fri from 8am to 4pm EST. An advisor will be happy to assist you. Thank you and Have a Good Day."

Wow! “Lawyer-speak” from Keystone. Too bad we’ve come to the point where companies are afraid to discuss their products - but we brought it on ourselves.
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:54 AM   #26
CWtheMan

Quote:

A tire size such as ST225/75R15 LRD is identical in size to ST225/75R15 LRE.
The load range is not part of a tire's size. In the preceding both load ranges provide the same load capacity at 65 PSI. Therefore, if this case, the LRE passes all the tests as being the same size and providing an equal or greater load capacity in accordance with the trailer's certification label.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #27
ftrupe

The question I asked Keystone was whether or not my rims could handle going from 65 psi to 80 psi. But I guess their response was a bit of "lawyer speak."
Old 04-19-2018, 07:05 PM   #28
CWtheMan

When writing about wheels and tires the authority changes frequently. Without knowing who has the proper decision making authority for a particular fitment or specification assignment, errors in finger pointing will happen.

In the FMVSS standards the tire manufacturer gets to decide what tire fits what rim. They must produce a list of all tires they manufacturer for highway use and provide that list to all wholesalers/retailers along with the basic rim size the tire is to be mated with. (There are exceptions in the automotive market, normally with high speed specialty tires/rims).

The SAE is the authority for wheel certifications.

My references for wheel/tire mating comes from the U.S. Tire Manufacturer’s Association. (Formally known as the Rubber Manufacturer’s Association).

https://www.ustires.org/about-us

The following statements are out of context from a USTMA PDF file.

Never exceed the maximum pressure and/or load capacity of the rim/wheel.

Load and cold inflation pressure imposed on a rim/wheel must not exceed the rim/wheel manufacturer’s recommendation, even though the tire may be marked for a higher load and inflation.
From that statement I read that the tire may be used but at an inflation pressure not to exceed the wheel/rim psi limit.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:32 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

What you received is junk email from Keystone. If you keep the same size tire you can upgrade to the E rated tire as long as the WHEEL specs says it can accommodate the 80 psi. That will be on the back of the wheel either stamped with the max psi or the max load.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #30
ftrupe

Well, I picked up my Carlisle tires, load range D, on Tuesday from Walmart at $61 each. On May 17th I have an appointment at a RV dealer right near the campground we will be at for the weekend to put them on at a cost of $125 for 5 tires. So, I will sleep well knowing I changed out my Trailer King tires after 4 years.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:44 AM   #31
kinggartk

I'm upgrading my Ranier tires to Carlisle 205/75 R14 D load range. It came from manufacturer with C load.

I know I can look at my rims for max PSI...but my trailer is 40 miles away at this time. From you experience, will most 14 inch rims handle 65 PSI?

By the way...I'm getting these tires from Discount tire for $50 each. Pretty good deal IMO.

2018 Keystone Bullet Crossfire 2510BH
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost Super Cab
kinggartk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:03 AM   #32
shooodog

king..
Don't want to speak out of turn.. so maybe the senior guys can chime in. You need to check your rims load rating. I wanted to do the same.. however, the rims on my trailer (2810BH) are load rated 1900# max. I could not see a max psi rating on them. But, I don't believe you can put 2040# max load tires on rims rated for only 1900#. But like I said.. check them as they may be different than mine. In my case I would have to upgrade my rims.
shooodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #33
kinggartk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooodog View Post
king..
Don't want to speak out of turn.. so maybe the senior guys can chime in. You need to check your rims load rating. I wanted to do the same.. however, the rims on my trailer (2810BH) are load rated 1900# max. I could not see a max psi rating on them. But, I don't believe you can put 2040# max load tires on rims rated for only 1900#. But like I said.. check them as they may be different than mine. In my case I would have to upgrade my rims.
Since the GVW of my trailer is only 6500 LBS (6500/4=1625) so the max load on each rim would be 1625 if the trailer is fully loaded.

I wonder if that would keep them under the limit even though the tires are rated for higher capacity than the rims?

Old 05-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #34
shooodog

In my case,
I think since my rims are rated at 1900# max.. the problem is going from 50 to 65 psi.
I could put only 50# in them, but I would be defeating the purpose going up to a D rated tire. At least, that's how I interpreted what the other guys were saying. I believe I would have to get different rims.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:45 AM   #35
kinggartk

Quote:
In my case,
I think since my rims are rated at 1900# max.. the problem is going from 50 to 65 psi.
I could put only 50# in them, but I would be defeating the purpose going up to a D rated tire. At least, that's how I interpreted what the other guys were saying. I believe I would have to get different rims.
That may be so. I hope I don't have to buy new rims.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:52 AM   #36
shooodog

Please don't go by me.. see what senior guys have to say. I'm still fairly new to this myself. A lot of great info here.. I check the board often
Old 05-03-2018, 12:48 PM   #37
Cracker

Quote:
In my case,
I would assume that, if your rims are rated for load range “C” tires, your axles are most likely rated accordingly. That said, going to load range “D” tires does not offer any significant benefit. If the “D” tires are cheaper, or otherwise preferable, it’s my understanding that inflating them to the lower “C” pressure is perfectly acceptable. I just made a similar decision, noted in a prior post, to use the same logic going from “D” rated tires to “E” rated tires, as “D” rated tires were not available in the Goodyear Endurance line.
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post
I'm upgrading my Ranier tires to Carlisle 205/75 R14 D load range. It came from manufacturer with C load.

I know I can look at my rims for max PSI...but my trailer is 40 miles away at this time. From you experience, will most 14 inch rims handle 65 PSI?

By the way...I'm getting these tires from Discount tire for $50 each. Pretty good deal IMO.
I've not pulled anything with 14" rims in quite some time so I don't know what a general rule of thumb is on their pressure ratings. You will have to look at them to see what the rims say to know what you need to do. To get the benefit of the increased load range you will need to have a wheel that is rated for that pressure or weight. If they aren't you will have to either buy new wheels or run the Ds at the max pressure for your existing wheels (LRC). If you have to run the pressure lower due to the wheel, the weight increase from the load range won't apply, but you will have a better quality, sturdier tire IMO. The caveat to that is the structure of an ST tire. Some say the tire is designed to run at the max pressure; others run them at some pressure lower. In your case you would run them at the LRC pressure. I always run my trailer tires at max (the trailer weight requires it) but not my vehicle tires (different kinds of tires). I will say that my 16' flat bed does not run fully inflated unless loaded....it just bounces like a ping pong ball. Others will chime in with their thoughts but no longer than you should keep your trailer tires I doubt there is any problem running them at the lower pressure.....just keep a close eye on them.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:33 PM   #39
shooodog

Then I don't see the point.. axle is rated at 3500#
the load rating for C tire is 1760#. (2) D rated tires (Load 2040#) puts max load @4080# which puts you over axle rating. And you can't run 65 psi on a C rated rim anyway.. Correct?
To me... It seems you should just stay with C rated tires, cause your not gaining anything. Short of upgrading the rims. Plus.. I don't know if I could make myself run tires on TT 15#s under max pressure to make it all work out.
Just my thoughts.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:22 PM   #40
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Then I don't see the point.. axle is rated at 3500#
the load rating for C tire is 1760#. (2) D rated tires (Load 2040#) puts max load @4080# which puts you over axle rating. And you can't run 65 psi on a C rated rim anyway.. Correct?
To me... It seems you should just stay with C rated tires, cause your not gaining anything. Short of upgrading the rims. Plus.. I don't know if I could make myself run tires on TT 15#s under max pressure to make it all work out.
Just my thoughts.
I changed D tires to E on my trailer. The rim was rated for it. Kinggartk won't know until he looks at the wheels.

Upgrading a C tire on a C wheel to D doesn't gain you much, but, in this case the Raniers would be gone (don't know if they're good or bad but I would worry - the Carlisle's have proven to be good so far) which is a plus. The Carlisle D should be a more robust tire than the C so that is a plus. Running lower pressure could be an issue depending on the thoughts one has about that. So, there are some positive points to the exchange, it just won't improve load capacity unless the wheels will allow it.