Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2018, 08:28 AM   #21
johnlewis

Our Montana came with Load Range E tires. These are marginal, I think, since the combined max weight is not much higher that GVW. We have Load Range G tires (4040 max load each). They are also rated for 81 mph, and since we seldom run over 68 or so mph, we have that safety factor as well. Found them on Discount Tires' website. Have over 20,000 miles on them, with no problems.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:33 AM   #22
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Depending on the tear of your HC ~~my 2017 came with Rainier LR E tires on wheels rated for 110 psi. Pulled the 5er 43 miles to the tire shop and had Sailun S637 tires installed. I run these ast 100 psi. My previous 5er, a Cougar arrived with Trailer King tires. Again 43 miles to the tire shop and put Carlisle LRF tires on it. The wheels were rated for 80 psi and I ran the Carlisle LRF at 90 psi.
I have always supported upgrading to a higher load capacity and using the increased load capacity for reserves as you have done. I would not have commented on this post had you not violated a safety standard, as it appears you have done above.

You say the wheels were rated for 80 PSI. Was that restriction displayed somewhere on wheel? If so, you exceeded the wheel manufacturer's specifications which is a nono.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #23
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I dont have the 5th wheel at the house but I know our dry weight is right around 12K, we are going to Les Schwabb tomorrow to see what they have to offer and or recommend, do you have any recommendations for LRE for this size 5th wheel, thanks?
If your dry weight really is around 12k, even a load range 'E' tire isn't going to give you much load capacity reserve. My toy hauler has a dry weight of 11,925 (GVWR 16755). It came with load range E Trailer Kings. Like many people with trailers in that weight range, I quickly replaced them with load range 'G' tires (Sailun s637). I'm extremely happy with these tires, the differences compared to the TK's were very obvious just handling the tires unmounted. Prior to purchasing, I did a fair amount of research on RV forums and elsewhere, and could not find anyone with a bad thing to say about the Sailuns, and many people who swear by them.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #24
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE303 View Post
If your dry weight really is around 12k, even a load range 'E' tire isn't going to give you much load capacity reserve. My toy hauler has a dry weight of 11,925 (GVWR 16755). It came with load range E Trailer Kings. Like many people with trailers in that weight range, I quickly replaced them with load range 'G' tires (Sailun s637). I'm extremely happy with these tires, the differences compared to the TK's were very obvious just handling the tires unmounted. Prior to purchasing, I did a fair amount of research on RV forums and elsewhere, and could not find anyone with a bad thing to say about the Sailuns, and many people who swear by them.
According to the specs for your trailer it has 6000# axles. The OE tires provided somewhere around 500# of load capacity per tire with a maximum axle load.

Trailers a little heavier than yours often have 7000# axles derated to 6750# by the trailer manufacturer. They do that so they can fit 16" LRE tires rated at 3520# to the derated axles. Those are the ones that put the owner in jeopardy, right from the git-go.

I would be suspect of any LRG steel cased tire that did not outweigh a LRE Polyester tire of the same size.

This is something to think about if you haven't already done so. When steel cased tires are damaged, little steel wires will protrude from the tire sidewall. If you're in the habit of running your hands across tire sidewalls when checking their temp, those protruding wires may cause damage to your hands.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires