Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #1
xrated

Another New Chapter.......

As some of you know, my wife Peggy and I worked a lot of weekends as Instructors/Coaches for a Motorcycle Track Day Organization and spent a lot of time on very fast motorcycles, teaching/instructing folks how to ride quickly and safely around a lot of motorcycle road courses in the South East. Peg retired from doing that at the end of 2016 and I retired from doing at the end of 2017. So now, we are still going to be taking the Toy Hauler out and using it, just not at racetracks. We still have our street bikes and those will be going along on many of the trips, but we have also discovered a couple of other things that we both enjoy doing.....hiking and bicycling....plus we got a new puppy for Christmas, so he will be coming along also. So here is our setup for the biking part of our camping and biking part of the summer.....

Peg's bike....

My bike....

Our puppy's chariot....

He is a pretty small guy, an 11 lb Manchester Toy Terrier and this seems to be about the safest way to take him with us on our bike rides, which will get longer and longer as we get in shape and can ride more than 4 or 5 miles. We plan on camping in locations that will have hiking and/or biking, some of the time and then also doing some spots where motorcycle riding will be our preference. Those trips of course will require for Rossi to stay in his crate for a few hours while we ride and then spend some time doing stuff he can join with us. So anyway, next chapter and hopefully lots of fun ahead.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:04 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Congrats on the transition and the new puppy. Looks like you guys are set up for some sightseeing! Lots of great biking trails out there to explore.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:18 AM   #3
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Congrats on the transition and the new puppy. Looks like you guys are set up for some sightseeing! Lots of great biking trails out there to explore.
Thanks, We actually have our first outing planned already. We are going to Townsend, TN (about 35 miles from our house) for a weekend. There is a biking trail through Townsend and then Cades Cove, in the Smoky Mountain National Park is within about 15 minutes of the campground. On Wed. and Sat. mornings at Cades Cove area, they close down the "Loop" road to motorized traffic from dawn till 10AM and it is for bicycles and foot traffic only.....so that should be fun. Then of course, there are tons of hiking trails in the park, so that may be something we explore a bit also. We are both rank beginners at this stuff though, so nothing too advanced or difficult for now!

Old 03-24-2018, 08:55 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Congrats on your retirement, and new adventure!! May you make lots of memories and ride slow enough to "smell the roses"

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Congrats on your retirement, and new adventure!! May you make lots of memories and ride slow enough to "smell the roses"
We definitely plan on enjoying more of the sights than we are accustomed to seeing. It's really hard to gather much detail when you're going 165 mph on the track!

I've got until November of 2019 to be able to retire from my real job, so that's a pretty short time in the scheme of things. Maybe by then I'll actually be in biking and hiking condition, if I don't do too much of this >>>

Old 03-24-2018, 09:08 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
if I don't do too much of this >>>
Everything in moderation from now on. driving 65 is going to be painful for a while

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:52 AM   #7
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Everything in moderation from now on. driving 65 is going to be painful for a while
LOL...funny you mention that. On the way home from our track days, after spending two days running in the 160 mph range for parts of the track, it seems like the drive home in the truck is sloooooow motion....and takes forever!

PS....that's the reason for my last line in my signature...."If it ain't fast....it ain't fun"!

Old 04-06-2018, 03:40 PM   #8
xrated

Well, tomorrow (Saturday) is the day that my track bike is going to a new home....which is obviously part of the process of getting out of track riding. I'm sure it will be a bitter-sweet day, the day that ends one chapter of my life for the past 13 years. I feel good that it is going to a fellow member of the organization that I rode with and Instructed with, yet I'm still not sure how I'm going to feel this summer when I know that the Toy Hauler is not getting ready to head to the track. We'll see and time will tell, but I guess the best bet is to concentrate on moving forward with my future plans......camping, bicycling, hiking, and taking our new puppy with us and enjoying all the things that we plan on doing.......<<<Big sigh>>>!

Old 04-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

There will be plenty of things to fill the void. I stopped off road bike riding, hunting most animals and 4 wheeled off roading (serious). I thought I was going to climb the walls without those avenues of doing things. Missed them for a while but filled them with all kinds of things so.....it's going to be OK, just focus on the new stuff.

A note I would make: don't think puppy has to be in a "crate" anytime you aren't around. Train the baby from day one. I'm sure it's a smart pup so it depends on you to let it know what is right and what is wrong. Spend a LOT of time with it while its young so you can ingrain in it what you want. Our puppy rescued us one night crying and starving. Vet said she wasn't over 2 months old. We took no more than a month training her, showing her what was acceptable and not etc. Her area was the sun room at first. She had 2 accidents and each was a learning experience. After that, none. We then let her in the house and put out her "places" and bedding areas, including nice little dog house/sleeping enclosures. We're going on 8 years, she runs the place and I couldn't imagine putting her in a crate. She knows exactly what we want and I can leave her for 8 hours at a time and all she does is miss us (and us her). So, work with puppy, give it guidance, love it and I'm sure you won't feel the need to confine it to a crate if you aren't around. Good luck. For us our pup filled a big void after all the family left and I can't imagine how we did without her prior to that. Sorry for the long post but......
Old 04-07-2018, 03:38 AM   #10
Tinner12002

Congrats on your new peddle power and your retirement. We bought a couple bikes to do a little riding also a yr or so ago, thinking we will take them on the road with us also to ride around the different campgrounds we visit. I would like to change the bars on mine though. They are much like yours but I think I would prefer to sit upright a little more rather than leaning forward onto the bars.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:19 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

I failed to mention this in my first post;

Now that you're going to be getting out and trying to see things on your bicycles a great place, to us, is the panhandle of FL. Particularly the St. Marks area. They have bike trails all over the place and one that goes from St. Marks to Tallahassee. It ends at the St. Marks river; used to go over it but it got washed out and they didn't replace it. They are in the final phases of constructing another bikeway from the St. Marks trail that goes back almost to Medart crossing the Wakulla river. It's a pretty area, wildlife refuges all over the place and some good eating. Hopefully you can get down there in your retirement and have some fun - we sure do.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:43 AM   #12
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Thanks, We actually have our first outing planned already. We are going to Townsend, TN (about 35 miles from our house) for a weekend. There is a biking trail through Townsend and then Cades Cove, in the Smoky Mountain National Park is within about 15 minutes of the campground. On Wed. and Sat. mornings at Cades Cove area, they close down the "Loop" road to motorized traffic from dawn till 10AM and it is for bicycles and foot traffic only.....so that should be fun. Then of course, there are tons of hiking trails in the park, so that may be something we explore a bit also. We are both rank beginners at this stuff though, so nothing too advanced or difficult for now!

I rode Cade’s Cove last summer. Absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately I should have brought my hybrid or mountain bike. My road bike’s gearing and my legs didn’t like the rolling hills much. Enjoy
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:48 AM   #13
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
Congrats on your new peddle power and your retirement. We bought a couple bikes to do a little riding also a yr or so ago, thinking we will take them on the road with us also to ride around the different campgrounds we visit. I would like to change the bars on mine though. They are much like yours but I think I would prefer to sit upright a little more rather than leaning forward onto the bars.

Any good bike shop can change/adjust your riding position. Enjoy.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #14
Tbos

I think camping and cycling definitely go together. There are so many great rail trials and bike paths out there. Enjoy the changes in your hobbies. At least you have plenty of room for your bikes in the toy hauler.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:48 AM   #15
xrated

Thanks to everyone that posted with ideas for places to go and the words of encouragement. I just got back home from meeting the guy part of the way to sell the bike to him. As it turns out, I saw him last October at the last track day that I rode and he was pitted a few spots down from me. Nice guy and the bike is in good hands, so that makes it a little easier.