Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2021, 07:53 AM   #1
wegone

Tuners....

I was wondering about tuners, do they really work as advertised?
I notice that what looks like the best numbers come when running better/higher octane fuel.....

When I have a pull with grades I put in the best I can buy, and I noticed on my stock 6.2 gasser F-250 super duty I get a little over 2 mpg better running that octane if my "stock" fuel gauge burn is to be believed.

I also noticed they say they flash the tranny, for optimal shifting patterns in certain tunes. But I have the ability to shift myself by actual conditions of which I am driving, no best guess program needed for that, right?

So I am wondering if it really worth buying?

I don't need more power for the sake of having more power...I go 55-60 always, and my truck is stock, and I have never felt the need for anything more, but again, I don't know if I do, or what it can add to my towing..

Thanks, any actual experiences would be appreciated
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:06 AM   #2
travelin texans

From my limited experience you're probably better off just using the higher octane than spending $$$ on tuners or other so called power boosting add-ons.
Most of those items with all their claims of better mileage & more power you'll likely never recoup the cost of the items in fuel savings & the power is mostly just imagined cause you spent $$$$$ on it.
If you actually want more towing power in the mountains along with better slowing/stopping ability trade the gasser for a diesel. The mileage will be slightly better, but the towing ability will be 110% improved.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:21 AM   #3
jsb5717

What year is your truck? My experience is with diesel trucks but currently have, and have previously used, tuners. My 2000 F250 diesel had a 4 speed tranny...it was constantly trying to upshift at the wrong times. The tuner I bought was a Superchips that plugged into OBD port. I set it to Heavy Tow and it made a huge difference since it changed the shift patterns to better hold it's RPM's in the long uphill climbs.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:40 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

IMO forget a tuner on a gas truck. Money down the drain and any gain is minimal at best. Same goes for cold air intake etc. You just can't do much on today's gas engines to make an appreciable difference and stay within reason....and dependability.

I drive a gas truck as well. When the time comes that I think I need "more" power, oomph or whatever I'll go to a diesel.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:13 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

I have a diesel 6.0 and use an SCT X4 7015 tuner with the most mild tow tune. I do this as my EGR was deleted and I didn't want to see a CEL on all the time. The tune is supposed to be a 50hp with slightly modified shift points aimed at towing. Don't see a ton of difference in power (considering 50 hp should make a fairly substantial difference) but the truck shifts better towing. Mileage is about the same. I didn't choose some more radical tune as my truck has the original head studs and I had no desire to stress the engine. Current tuners no longer can cause the truck's computer to ignore an EGR delete. You might benefit from a tow tune on your gasser to modify shift points although you will have to evaluate that based on the type transmission you have; mine is a 2006 and the transmission isn't one of the newer with more "gears".
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:16 AM   #6
meaz93*

My 2 cents...yes a tuner will make a big difference on your 6.2
I've used 5* Perf Tow tunes for around 7yrs on my F150 with a SCT tuner and it works great for me.
The thing is you will drop around $350+ alone just for a tuning device that will come with generic tunes for your specific application-which is fine> IMO
No it won't increase your towing payload capabilities, only enhance your towing experience.
To me it sounds like you are fine currently with what you have running 91 octane. Why spend the money for a tuner etc...
It's up to you....or should I say the " other half" -lol
when it comes to spending money on modifications to your F250 gasser.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210821-115245_Facebook.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	36101
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:56 AM   #7
wegone

Great stuff guys....its a 2011 with 130k easy miles on the clock, always maintained to a point of being anal.
I looked long and hard at the gasser/diesel choice and opted for gas because I really don't need it because I won't ever be stepping up, maybe even going down if I buy another trailer, 26 foot (30 overall) can be tight in state/national campgrounds I am finding out.
Also, where I live (on a island) getting it serviced and fuel takes a little more effort and less options, and I don't drive it very much, just short trips when not towing.
I've noticed diesels are cheaper than gassers now. My buddy just bought his first trailer and tow, I was helping him search....he too opted for gas.

Thanks guys....I think I'll stay stock, defaulting to the reasoning if it ain't broke, don't fix it
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:00 PM   #8
BandT

I have spent years in tuning, there is good and bad. Most of the off the shelf stuff is not worth the plastic packaging its in. A good tune is only as good as the guy doing it. Anymore its almost like doing a drug deal because it is illegal. According to the 1979 clean air act you may not alter ANY thing that affects your “tune”. There are some things that have been exempted. But most of them don’t do much either. If want to look at some examples of some good stuff, look at Gail Banks products. He has spent a lot of time doing this stuff, legally. Other than that buy the best fuel, the best oil’s, and transmission fluid you can and enjoy!
Old 09-30-2021, 11:04 AM   #9
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandT View Post
I have spent years in tuning, there is good and bad. Most of the off the shelf stuff is not worth the plastic packaging its in. A good tune is only as good as the guy doing it. Anymore its almost like doing a drug deal because it is illegal. According to the 1979 clean air act you may not alter ANY thing that affects your “tune”. There are some things that have been exempted. But most of them don’t do much either. If want to look at some examples of some good stuff, look at Gail Banks products. He has spent a lot of time doing this stuff, legally. Other than that buy the best fuel, the best oil’s, and transmission fluid you can and enjoy!
Banks Power is what I have on my Ford. An incredible difference in performance!
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:23 AM   #10
Canonman

Anybody know anything about BD Throttle Booster?
https://tsb.bddiesel.com/
My diesel shop recommended this to cure slow throttle response while towing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL9149-HDR.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	36116  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:14 PM   #11
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
I was wondering about tuners, do they really work as advertised?
I notice that what looks like the best numbers come when running better/higher octane fuel.....

When I have a pull with grades I put in the best I can buy, and I noticed on my stock 6.2 gasser F-250 super duty I get a little over 2 mpg better running that octane if my "stock" fuel gauge burn is to be believed.

I also noticed they say they flash the tranny, for optimal shifting patterns in certain tunes. But I have the ability to shift myself by actual conditions of which I am driving, no best guess program needed for that, right?

So I am wondering if it really worth buying?

I don't need more power for the sake of having more power...I go 55-60 always, and my truck is stock, and I have never felt the need for anything more, but again, I don't know if I do, or what it can add to my towing..

Thanks, any actual experiences would be appreciated
Eddie; Here's another thought about you keeping your truck straight stock, resale / trade in value.
FWIW, when I go truck shopping, I run a mile from anything that's been modded. I wouldn't know how to judge the workmanship or parts quality of the mods, nor how it would affect the truck's serviceability or handling. I've seen, huge tires, lift kits, worked suspensions etc. Those things are negatives IMO, not positives. Things like beefed up suspensions make me wonder how the truck was used and lift kits make me wonder how it was driven.
And talking of “tuning” the engine or tranny maps; if it was beneficial in the long run, the manufacturer would have done that. The premise is that somehow these “tuners” know more about these engines than the companies that design and manufacture them…I don't think so.
Like you, I use the best fuel I can afford in my truck. When I start worrying what it costs me to haul 7600# around the country tagging on my back bumper, It'll be time to give it up.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:58 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

A lot of folks feel that high octane gas is somehow going to increase performance in their vehicle. Not exactly. Most people think that higher octane in gasoline supercharges the combustion in an engine cylinder, giving them additional power and performance. It is this misunderstanding of what octane actually does which leads people to spend more on gasoline than they really need to.

What does octane do?If you see a high octane rating for a given gasoline, what does that really tell you? That you'll get better mileage and more power? Or does it tell you something different?

The octane rating of gasoline essentially tells you how much the air-fuel mixture can be compressed before it will spontaneously ignite. Gasoline with an optimal octane rating performs best in an engine designed to run on that octane level. On a higher compression engine, it may be necessary to use higher octane gas so as to keep the air fuel mixture from combusting prematurely.

Using high octane gas in an engine designed for regular octane fuel may actually cause poorer performance. The one advantage of "premium" pump gas is that it may have a better additive package but you can always go to the auto parts store and buy a bottle of Techron. I kind of disagree with the broad brush statement that higher octane fuel with its higher cost is somehow superior to lower octane fuels.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:22 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

You are right. There are qualifiers on using higher octane fuel that anyone thinking of doing so should look into. A blanket statement saying it improves performance in any and all engines would be incorrect. Like an engines power bandwidth is engineered so is the compression and octane rating of any particular engine. It will have a "sweet" spot - maybe high...maybe lower.

For towing with my 6.4L higher octane does make a difference but you have to run at least a tank through it to get all of the 87 out. Also, the Ram manual states you can run 87 but 89 is optimal. So a little confusion there on what it "can" run on vs what provides "optimal" performance. Other engines are the same. The owner's manuals can provide you what is required but may or may not tell you if increasing the octane level will do anything for you or not. The best bet is to just try. For me and the 6.4s 87,89,91,93 don't make much difference unloaded with the exception of a noticeably lighter wallet. Towing is a much different story. Going from 87 to 89 provides better performance. Up to 91 it seems to improve slightly. After that nada. So when I hitch up I have ran my truck with at least 89, and generally 91, for at least a tank before I head out.

One other thing to think about too; some gasoline manufacturers taper the ethanol off the higher the octane rating of the fuel - or at least used to. That also has an effect on the performance of the fuel. I guess if I go to diesel I'll have to relearn all this stuff again and try to find a "premium" diesel pump....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:46 PM   #14
Fourbtgait

Tuners….
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/

Do a search for tuners, 5star tuning for 6.2l.
You don’t buy a tuner for increased hp/tq, though yes, it’s “possible” to gain 5-8% increase.
I have had 2 tuners, bought a used ‘99 PSD that already had a tune on it. Only way I found out was the STC tuner under the seat. Just left it on enhanced tow, had no clue back then. Then bought one for an ‘07 ford 5.4. Great shift changes in the transmission but didn’t do what I wanted.

When you sell the truck, you take the tune off and return it to stock, no one knows. It’s not like lifting a truck. Oh, if you take it in for dealer service, put it back to stock. You can get free future tunes typically if you change things or ask them to map the system to do better, so they say. 5star tuning has dyno charts you can view.

Why buy a tuner? My ‘17 6.2l from factory has a wire pedal to throttle which is slow to react. Built that way from factory. Ford also will not allow full throttle response till about 2,500 rpm. Both are gotten rid of. All manufacturers slow down/change shift points for fuel economy. Yes, I know, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks don’t have to meet cafe, but they do it so public thinks it gets better mileage. When on tuner, both my previous trucks dropped .5-1 mpg from stock, mostly from shift changes that dramatically enhanced how truck drove.

As said, CAI is a waste of money along with doing a cat back exhaust. Manufacturers now try to get all they can. You could do long headers, free flow cats and duel exhaust and yes gain hp/tw, but need a tune to actually benefit.

Will I get one for current truck? Undecided but as mentioned I would like to change shift mapping and throttle response. Pricey.
91/93 octane fuel, Ford recommends the use of it during hot weather and towing. Same as they do for the 5.0 F150. I get better tow mileage and capability on 91 than 87, same trailer, same trip.
My view, what I have learned. Your choice, your money.
Good luck