Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #21
Mates Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaJan View Post
If you go to Yellowstone, head over to I-15 and go south. There are several really scenic national parks in Utah.
When you leave Yellowstone, make sure you leave from the south entrance. That will take you through the Grand Tetons National Park (your Yellowstone admission is good for both parks). As you leave the Tetons head to Jackson Hole then follow the Snake River back in to Idaho. Pick up I-15 again and then hit the Utah National Parks. As you head south through Utah, meander over to the Grand Canyon and travel through that area. Awesome views and tons of stuff to do.
Mates Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:07 PM   #22
Canonman

"My family is looking to plan about a 10-14 day cross country trip for sometime in 2019. It's probably the only chance we will get to do this with our kids (12 and 15), so we want it to be special."

Our advice: Take the time; now, while you still can and the kids are with you.
Look to James 4:14
"Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away."

A few extra vacation days is not a lot to give up for a lifetime of memories.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:21 PM   #23
STIHLNTIME

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment that you simply don't have enough time budgeted for such an ambitious trip. Add a extra 5-7 days to see South Dakota's Custer State Park and Mt. Rushmore. I am making the trip west again this year and am allowing three weeks from Missouri. We leave and drive hard the first day, overnighting in Curt Gowdy State Park just outside Cheyenne, then shoot over to Jackson Hole, Grand Teton National Park, then up to Yellowstone and Glacier National Park, entering Canada for a day and then departing driving back to Cody, WY from Cody over to Buffalo,Wy to Custer State Park, Mt. Rushmore and Devils Tower then taking two days to shoot home. Better plan on making reservations at least a year if not more out. Budget for fuel and the possible emergency (blown tire)etc. If you try a two week speed run you'll for sure have an unhappy wife and kids, take adequate time and see the sites, walk the trails. I've been doing it for over 25 years and only made the mistake of burning the road one time, it was miserable for all involved. Wishing you the best in your endeavor. If two weeks is max Rocky Mountain National Park wouldn't be a bad destination, day trips down as far south as Cripple Creek/Crested Butte Black Canon of the Gunnison wouldn't be bad if you got bored in RMNP.
STIHLNTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:20 AM   #24
kinggartk

Thank you all for your comments. The amount of driving has been a concern. I've been thinking I could do 10 hour a day driving for a few days, but maybe that's not ideal.

I have food for thought now. Thanks

2018 Keystone Bullet Crossfire 2510BH
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost Super Cab
kinggartk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:58 AM   #25
cardinal96ss

My suggestion is to find a nice park/campground within a two day drive that offers lots of activities/sights for the whole family, park the RV and chill there for a week, then enjoy an easy drive home.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #26
chuckster57
Site Team

Late to reply, but if I was going to Rushmore, I’d make sure to go to Crazy Horse. It puts Rushmore to shame in size. I can personally recommend the buffalo stew and Indian fry bread!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote