Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2018, 07:48 AM   #1
Retired Copper

Camping World

I was at my grandson baseball game last night when my DW calls me over, she was talking to two women. She asked who we bought the camper from. I told her and one of the women said I wish I had known that before hand. She told me that she and her husband had bought a new camper about a month ago. They told them to take the camper out that weekend and make a list of the things that needed fixing and they would jump on it and have it out by the next weekend. So they go camping and make the list and drop the unit back off. At the end of the week no phone call the following week no phone call. Finally they get someone on the phone and they tell her that they are waiting on a part. A few days go by and they decide to take a ride over. Once there they find that their brand new camper is damaged on the corner and the roof is peeled back. They are finally told that while moving the unit they struck something; you recon, but they are going to fix it by replacing the roof and some of the laminated siding. They tell the manger that's it is brand new and they want a different unit. The manger tells them that that will not happen that they will repair it and use the buyer`s warranty for the repairs. I gave her the name of a good lawyer. I am glad I don`t do busy with that place and now I know I never will.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:49 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

It sounds like you're talking about a particular dealer and not CW in general. A blanket categorization of a business/individuals can lead to false assumptions. My suggestion would be for the folks to revisit the dealer prepared for a lengthy, possibly contentious (but I doubt it) conversation with the management.

If they tore the roof/side while in their shop and in your ownership it's not warranty. In fact, filing it as so with Keystone would cause a "blip" on the radar so to speak - they are falsifying an incident to get payment. The repairs should be theirs and out of their pocket. When mine was damaged in a CW facility they repaired it like new and "ate the costs" as described by the service manager. Same should go here.

As far as a new trailer......I don't know, but I doubt it. I think I would tell them it has to be like new and be given my approval before it is accepted or the new trailer would have to be considered. I've seen better work come out of the shop than comes from the factory but that's not always the case.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
Retired Copper

Agree Danny , it is just like not all cops,teachers ect. are bad. And did not mean it that way there are good and not so good when you deal with big organizations. I think I would be very upset on a damage camper not even owning it a week not to mention not notifying me right away about the accident and having to find out about it by going to the business. Just not the way I would treat anyone. This business is not an old established site but a fairly new one. I hate it for the new owners because she said I just want ever be comfortable and will always wonder if it was fixed as good as new.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
CamperDave

That would certainly be an issue I would hate to deal with for sure. I bought my unit from CW and has a less than positive experience that will steer me away from them in the future. I really hate to see people get ripped off, where is the executive order for ripping off fellow Americans...

TV - 2013 Toyota Tundra TSS 4x4 5.7L
TT - 2017 Keystone Outback Ultra Lite 293UBH
CamperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Copper View Post
Agree Danny , it is just like not all cops,teachers ect. are bad. And did not mean it that way there are good and not so good when you deal with big organizations. I think I would be very upset on a damage camper not even owning it a week not to mention not notifying me right away about the accident and having to find out about it by going to the business. Just not the way I would treat anyone. This business is not an old established site but a fairly new one. I hate it for the new owners because she said I just want ever be comfortable and will always wonder if it was fixed as good as new.

You are very right. It's beyond the pale to think that they would damage the trailer to that extent without notifying the owner, try to fix it on the sly and then bill the manufacturer for it. I don't "think" I would be upset; you would have to peel me off the glass of the window to the GMs office!! It is very unfortunate this has happened to them and I hope they get it taken care of in a way that suits them. Make them aware that the "first" stance taken by a dealership is seldom the final one taken when pressed to the wall.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:00 PM   #6
CaptnJohn

I would let them know if they file a warranty claim it is fraudulent. I'd make them aware I was going to notify Keystone of the same. They would be made aware there would be no insurance claim against the VIN as well. Their accident, they eat it.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
mlk1950

Could they get ahold of the corporate headquarters of Camping World, and report this to them? Maybe they would set this particular dealer straight.
mlk1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:22 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Hey folks, please remember that this "CW event" is being reported by someone whose DW met someone at a Little League field who told her about a problem with CW and their trailer. So, this is either 3rd or 4th hand information, depending on whether you count reading it in the above post as one of those events...... What I'm suggesting is that none of us (other than possibly the OP) have sufficient information about the situation, or for that matter, any "RELIABLE" information on what really happened.....

This is a "he said, she said" kind of event. Maybe it happened as reported, maybe there's more to the story than we know, maybe it's another "bathroom rumor"......

I read a sign in a police station years ago, it went like this: "The information you have is true, until you get the other side of the story. Only then can you determine what really happened."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #9
notanlines

Many years ago I was a line mechanic at a Dodge dealer in Memphis. A customer brought their new Dodge in to be serviced, about a month old, some simple warranty item. When this auto was left in the drive another customer backed into the side (at the door post, naturally) doing a large amount of damage. The customer demanded a new car off the lot. Dodge dealer told him to settle things with the other driver. He was so angry he told the service adviser, well I won't quote him verbatim, but he said Dodge could keep the car. He walked away, finance company sent a wrecker for it after a few months and we never heard anything again. If this trailer tale is on the up and up, they aren't getting a new rig, Ain't gonna happen.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:15 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I'm thinking that a car being in a dealer's lot and being hit by "someone" else (non dealer) brings a lot of variables into the situation possibly relieving the dealer of any responsibility. An RV sitting in a dealership's lot, hit/damaged by said dealership employees removes any 3rd party/trying to shift blame; it's 100% on the dealer.

In this case, the dealer literally "destroyed" a brand new trailer (IMO) due to negligence, lied about it (didn't notify owner), tried to repair while keeping the new purchaser in the dark, then told them they are charging it against their warranty with Keystone. With the no no's this dealership has supposedly committed I wouldn't rule out being able to move to a new unit if you're willing to squeeze them where it hurts.

And yes, this is a 3rd party, he said, she said tale (I'm sorry); maybe the OPs friend can get it worked out to their satisfaction.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:28 PM   #11
mikef

Once an item is left with a dealer they become the “Bailee” and are responsible for items in their possession. This is often covered by their Commercial Property and Liability insurance or a rider. No repair entity could exist without this insurance as a large fire could be hundreds of thousands or millions in losses.

I wouldn’t get involved in how or who pays for the repair since that is not your concern. If they fraudulently submit a claim to a manufacturer they are on their own. You should demand an immediate repair with no cost to you and not sign anything until repaired to your satisfaction.

The risk you would have is Diminished Value when you go to sell it since a damaged unit that has been repaired is worth less than a never damaged unit if everything else is apples to apples. You could ask for some additional value consideration to address the diminished value if you wish.

If all things don’t get addressed to your satisfaction you can sue as a recourse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:33 AM   #12
garand41

I almost bought a trailer from Camping World of Greenwood, Indiana. I had a bad experience with their sales team and cancelled the check. Since then, I've heard lots of horror stories about this dealership. When talking to fellow campers around central Indiana, just mention Camping World. That will get the stories going! I figure they prey on first time buyers, experienced buyers won't go there except to look.
garand41 is offline   Reply With Quote