Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2017, 02:19 PM   #1
geobet

Where is my converter?

Have a 2017 Montana High Country 310RE and want replace the "Dogbone" surge protector with a Progressive Industries HW50C 50 Amp Hardwired Electrical Management System with Remote Display but I need some input. Where the heck is the converter? Don't want to start taking things apart trying to find it so thought I'd ask the audience. Is the unit I mentioned a good one?

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Since you have a fifth wheel, I bet it's behind the wall in the basement.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobet View Post
Have a 2017 Montana High Country 310RE and want replace the "Dogbone" surge protector with a Progressive Industries HW50C 50 Amp Hardwired Electrical Management System with Remote Display but I need some input. Where the heck is the converter? Don't want to start taking things apart trying to find it so thought I'd ask the audience. Is the unit I mentioned a good one?
Confused, do you have two projects going on here? A hardwired surge protector needs to be installed somewhere in your rig between the end of your shore power cable and the distribution panel.

If you have a second project involving the converter as stated and if it is not part of the power distribution panel it is in the basement behind the power panel. Will need to remove wall in storage area to get in there
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:57 PM   #4
geobet

No, not two projects. Thought that if the converter was, for example, behind the breaker panel, and there was enough room, I could install it in there. I know it has to be installed between the shore power cord and the converter - just looking for the easiest way to install it.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:10 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

It needs to be between the shore power and the breaker panel. Your converter should plug into the breaker panel.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
No, not two projects. Thought that if the converter was, for example, behind the breaker panel, and there was enough room, I could install it in there. I know it has to be installed between the shore power cord and the converter - just looking for the easiest way to install it.
No its between the end of shore power cable and the power distribution panel.

In some rigs the shore power cable itself does not go directly to the power distribution panel, there is a transition point, a junction box as soon as the shore power cable enters the rig. transition is from shore power cable to say romex cable then to the Power distribution panel. That junction box is replaced by the hardwired surge protection unit. Of course you will have to run the remote monitor wire from there to where you want the remote monitor.

Others that have te
he shore cable run all the way to the Power distribution Panel have disconnected it from the panel and connected to the new surge protector and got a proper sized say 50 AMP cable to connect the other side of the surge protector to the power distribution panel.

I would think you have plenty room to mount the surge protector in the basement if not the other location (entry into the rig)

ADDED: Definetly not a fast typer (fingers one at a time only)
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 02-25-2017, 06:27 PM   #7
geobet

Thanks guys for your input. I pulled a wall down in the storage compartment and found the wires from the shore cable to the panel and the wires from the panel to the converter. A bit of wiggling required to reach them but doable. Thanks again for all the advice.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:09 PM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks guys for your input. I pulled a wall down in the storage compartment and found the wires from the shore cable to the panel and the wires from the panel to the converter. A bit of wiggling required to reach them but doable. Thanks again for all the advice.
Thanks for getting back to us and glad that you found the shore power line and the power distribution panel. Still do not understand why you keep bringing up your converter when the only thing you are working on isome to install that surge protector on the A/C power.?? I assume you know what you are doing, be careful. 2017 I assume still under warranty, some do not make mods till after warranty period.

Good luck
Old 02-25-2017, 08:29 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

We have installed surge protectors on brand new units prior to delivery and as long as it's installed per directions, it won't void warranty.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:00 PM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
We have installed surge protectors on brand new units prior to delivery and as long as it's installed per directions, it won't void warranty.
I agree with your comment , but I also think Keystone could view things differently if the mod was done by a qualified tech say at a dealership versus a non certified owner. I know many of us feel we can do it better than others. At times I just like to play it safe and do not give anyone wiggle room to get out of a warranty
Old 02-26-2017, 09:50 AM   #11
geobet

Again, thanks for all the input. Please pardon my senior moment regarding placing the surge protector between the shore power and the converter and I appreciate you guys catching it. This 70 year old brain wasn't firing on all cylinders when I posted.

I had the converter on my mind since out of the last 6 rvs I've owned I've had to replace 2 wafco converters. Now that I've found mine it seems to be a three beer replacement if I ever need to.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:14 AM   #12
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Again, thanks for all the input. Please pardon my senior moment regarding placing the surge protector between the shore power and the converter and I appreciate you guys catching it. This 70 year old brain wasn't firing on all cylinders when I posted.

I had the converter on my mind since out of the last 6 rvs I've owned I've had to replace 2 wafco converters. Now that I've found mine it seems to be a three beer replacement if I ever need to.
Believe me I understand , got five on you. Same here, when I crawl into the basement area and observe the quality of work I also need a drink. With that spider web of wires and pumps, it is highly recommended not to drink in there, may never find your way back out. Be safe and let us know how it turns out.

Just noticed your location, at least its warm there. 28 degrees at noon today, 70 yesterday

Correction: Pipes not pumps, that will really do it more pumps in there
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 02-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Try being 60 and having to empty out someone else's basement to do a 30 minute repair.

Tags
converter