Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2019, 05:07 AM   #1
Mike50

272hls hideout reviews??

Looking at buying a new 272hls hideout. Anyone have any experience with this specific model or just the hls line in general? Anything I should be aware of? I will be talking with the dealer today on price. I'm looking for a new camper without breaking the bank but not wanting to buy a cheap headache either. Im aware that any new camper will have issues but I'm wanting something that's going to last me 10 years too.Thanks for any input.
Mike50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:25 AM   #2
Logan X

I don’t have an hls but I do have a Hideout. I’ve had mine for 3 years with no major issues. There have been minor fit and finish issues but nothing I couldn’t fix myself. The Hideout is an entry level trailer so don’t set your expectations too high but I think it is a good value for the price. I have camped excessively in it with 4 kids and it has held up great. As with any other trailer, you have to keep up with the maintenance to keep it looking and operating good.

We have been happy with our Hideout.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:01 AM   #3
mtofell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
I don’t have an hls but I do have a Hideout. I’ve had mine for 3 years with no major issues. There have been minor fit and finish issues but nothing I couldn’t fix myself. The Hideout is an entry level trailer so don’t set your expectations too high but I think it is a good value for the price. I have camped excessively in it with 4 kids and it has held up great. With any other trailer, you have to keep up with the maintenance to keep it looking and operating good.

We have been happy with our Hideout.
This is pretty much my exact experience as well. I was definitely hesitant with all the bad reviews you can find online (with any RV brand for that matter). I really liked the price point and the floor plan is what I really went for (different model - 5th wheel). In the end I've been pleased. It's had a few things but never had to go back for any warranty work and nothing I haven't been able to tackle myself.

Despite being the entry level Keystone I actually think the Hideout has some pretty nice things - porcelain toilets, nice fabric shades, good lighting placement and other stuff I'm forgetting now. It's kind of like cars these days. Even the most strip down models have A/C, power windows and nice stereos. A few decades ago these were luxuries I could only dream of.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
Mike50

Thanks for the input. That's the only thing that has me nervous is the negative reviews I've read online. I think as long as the price is going to be right I will be pulling the trigger on this camper.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
BamaRam

Like most new RVs the Hideouts are thrown together quickly and there are going to be issues. I’ve been noting things as I have found and addressed them.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...361#post290361
Old 06-17-2019, 06:35 PM   #6
Skeeter170

I’ve had my 272LHS for a year now and the family is very happy with it.
Skeeter170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:15 PM   #7
travelin texans

After talking to the dealer on price & before committing to anything go visit with the service manager, if any issues come up after the sale he'll be the one you'll contact, the salesman will be done once you've signed on the dotted line. You don't want your new rv parked in their back lot waiting months for minor warranty repairs.
DO NOT sign anything til you've inspected EVERYTHING during the PDI & are 100% satisfied that it's as you want & they've repaired/replaced anything you've found during that inspection.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:36 AM   #8
CrazyCain

I have had my 177LHS for 3 years and have no major problems with it at all. Minor fit and finish stuff that i took care of myself. I just keep up on the general maintence and inspct the roof at least once a month. Wash roof and wax itrailer 3 times a year. Like it and would not hesitate to buy another hideout

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:55 AM   #9
Mike50

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 2020 272hls. Already took it out for the weekend and was very happy with it. The only thing I noticed was the base table leg mount screws were loose. While on the roof I noticed a couple of air pockets under the roofing. Is this normal for it not to be stuck down completely flat? Also can anyone tell me if this is a epdm roof on this model? I read somewhere on this forum how to tell by taking a vent out but thought I'd ask here before I did that.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:50 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

All but the most expensive trailers now use TPO roofing. Keystone seems to get a "better wholesale price from Alpha Systems so I'd bet the kitchen sink that your roof is a Alpha Systems TPO membrane.

You can pull the plastic trim ring from the bathroom vent (4 screws). You'll find the membrane stapled to the frame where the factory cut it diagonally to make the opening for the vent to be installed. Pull those staples from one flap and inspect it. If it's the same color front and back, it's TPO. If it's black with a colored top surface, it's EPDM. There was a third type, a "felt covered TPO" that was used in 2012-2014 models, but that type of roofing has not been used in recent years.

So, once you verify that your roof membrane is TPO, be sure to use the appropriate "self leveling sealant" on the flat surfaces and "Non-leveling sealant" on the vertical surfaces. Most people use about a tube per inspection. If you store opened tubes in the refrigerator with the tip properly sealed, it will keep for several weeks. Don't plan on buying in bulk, the sealant does "expire" and storage can be an issue in most parts of the country. It's better to keep it at an even temperature in a low humidity environment. I believe that it's better to let the dealership throw away the bad sealant rather then for me to do it. It's much cheaper that way too.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #11
Mike50

Jrtjh, thanks for the info. Ill do some research on the type of sealant to use. Does this type of roof not last as long as an epdm roof would? How long will a tpo roof last with regular maintenance and cleaning? As far as the air pockets does anyone know if this is normal or do I need to contact my dealer about it?

Tags
hideout, hls