Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #1
Mroe67

Hitch noise

I’ve done according to the manual, the only adjustment you can do on our Pull-Rite super sliding hitch. Seems quite for awhile then when I brake then re-accelerator I hear a clunk. Could there be a break in period and I just need to re-adjust again and it will stop? Or is this something that is normal with a sliding hitch and I don’t need to worry, and I just keep adjusting it?
Mroe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #2
bobbecky

It is very possible if you have tightened the adjustment tight enough to make it a bit hard to manually center the hitch, which will prevent movement when starting or stopping, that the entire hitch is moving in the standard bed rails, if you have the ISR model of the Pullrite hitch. This is part of the instructions from the install manual:

Page 5
BASE RAIL FOOT ASSEMBLY
5. To minimize any forward and aft movement when towing, secure the feet as far apart, fore-to-aft, as the slot opening on the base rail will allow. If you still experience movement, consider loosening the base rail fasteners and tapping the base rails toward each other to achieve optimal positioning.
6. Torque the bolts to 75 ft. pounds.
7. An aftermarket, ½” Locking Hitch Pin, may be used in place of one or more of the standard Hitch Pin and Clips to prevent theft.

https://pullrite.com/sites/default/f...20Manual_0.pdf
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:37 PM   #3
Mroe67

It’s a puck system in the bed of a 2018 Dodge Ram 2500. I sure can’t move or wiggle it any. But the plastic wear plates see loose to me. But there is no adjustment take up that I can see
Mroe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:22 PM   #4
bobbecky

Well, then the only other thing that could be loose would be the pin to hitch connection, and I'm not sure how that could be fixed.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #5
5J's

Sounds like you may need to adjust your brake controller. It should be set so that the trailer brakes engage first. If this isn't the case then your trailer will try to push you as you stop causing your hitch to take up slack in the slide. This is likely your clunk.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch