Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #21
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
So today I put on my new Goodyear Endurance tires.

Background, in November I bought a new 26RBPR. Brought it home the 65 miles and parked it in the pole barn until today.

After reading what Sourdough (Danny) and John had to say about tires I decided to replace the "new" OEM tires that came with the unit. Rainier 205/75R14. I went with 215/75R14 from Goodyear as they increased the load rating of the tires as well as going from a C to a D.
The OEM tires had less than 500 miles on them. (The dealer had pulled the unit to Grand Junction for an RV show). My unit came off of the assembly line in early 2018. Surprise the tires had a manufacturer date of 2nd week in 2016. Seriously. Now I have learned from this site that tires just sitting degrade by a fairly good percentage each year, the load bearing qualities degrade. The OEM tires when NEW would support the trailer and no room for error. They were two years old when they went on my trailer from the factory, meaning they were somewhere shy of 14% of being able to support the load of my trailer. No wonder I have read of people having major blowouts with new OEM tires. I love our new 26RBPR. I have done a lot of upgrades while it sat thanks in large part to the great information on this list, but really Keystone, have some pride. I am going to write the company just to bend their ear, not that I expect anything, but when the folks here on this list who know advise tire upgrades, they are not fooling.

Oak

I Trust - Hope, that when you went with the new tires you also got new bolt in metal valves. LR-D is 65 psi. Standard (cheap) rubber valves are rated 65 psi max. Also many forget or don't think about the fact that the rubber in the stems ages just as the rubber in your tires does. Also bolt in valves are recommended when you run external TPMS.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:43 AM   #22
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
IMO, that action would/could void any tire, wheel or chassis factory warranty claims should those tires fail or cause a problem in those areas, if it stopped just there. Other areas could be related.

I know, that's pretty petty but it's factual. Without someone's approval for that action you failed to protect yourself. The Keystone owner's manual clearly states an owner must seek approval before changing designated tire sizes.

Wheel tire assemblies seldom cause problems that would trigger an in depth investigation. BUT, they do happen. (Those new tires do not conform to the same load inflation chart as the OEM tires).

Any idea what the length of the warranty is on the OE tires? I wonder how many people have ever received any meaningful compensation from the RV company or tire importer when they have a failure.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #23
Tireman9

Quote:
The only one I know of is the all steel constructed ST225/75R15 LRF Tow-Master ASC from Greenball. They provide 3195# of load capacity @ 95 PSI and have a 81 MPH speed rating.

https://www.greenball.com/brands/gre...tow-master-asc

Good info CW.

We also need to remind folks to check the inflation & load rating of the OE wheels before they upgrade their tires. Doesn't do much good to go to LR-E or LR-F on tires if you don't run the LR-E or LR-F inflation and I doubt that there are OE rims rated for 95 psi.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #24
larryflew

Lionshead sells most of the tires and wheels to the mfg. So even if it is a Lippert axle etc it still isn't their tire and wheel. They only sell to rv mfg. One of their distribution centers is in town and covers about 6 square blocks.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #25
Stumpy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Good info CW.

We also need to remind folks to check the inflation & load rating of the OE wheels before they upgrade their tires. Doesn't do much good to go to LR-E or LR-F on tires if you don't run the LR-E or LR-F inflation and I doubt that there are OE rims rated for 95 psi.
I had to pull a wheel to find the rating code for the rim. It was on the back of the rim, and could not be seen without taking off the tire. Mine, on my Outback 21TSR, were rated to 80psi, so I ended up with Endurance LR-D tires. Still an upgrade from the originals(where I found a bulge in the sidewall of one tire after 2 years).
Stumpy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #26
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoremilly View Post
I pulled my tires the second season 2017 341RKI and installed the Endurance American made just love them. Do NOT apply any tire dressing it deteriorates the rubber.
I was under the impression UV rays from the sun degrade the rubber on tires and you should use the proper dressing on the tires to protect them. I’m curious to hear if anyone else has a differing opinion on this.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #27
itat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
I was under the impression UV rays from the sun degrade the rubber on tires and you should use the proper dressing on the tires to protect them. I’m curious to hear if anyone else has a differing opinion on this.
I wouldn’t use a dressing that is only intended to make the tires shiny. Use something like Aerospace 303 protectant instead.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:39 PM   #28
CWtheMan

Quote:
Good info CW.

The gist of the post was to provide tire information not commonly known. When , how and why were not necessary, it was not a recommendation.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #29
CWtheMan

Quote:
Any idea what the length of the warranty is on the OE tires? I wonder how many people have ever received any meaningful compensation from the RV company or tire importer when they have a failure.
When replacing something that is not supported by a manufacturer's approval removes any possibility of responsibility on their part.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:47 PM   #30
Logan X

Regarding tire dressing, it looks like products containing petroleum or petroleum distalates should be avoided because they will degrade the rubber. Tire care products without any petroleum will not cause harm. From what I read on the google, the aerosol tire shine products should by avoided.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:30 PM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
Regarding tire dressing, it looks like products containing petroleum or petroleum distalates should be avoided because they will degrade the rubber. Tire care products without any petroleum will not cause harm. From what I read on the google, the aerosol tire shine products should by avoided.
I use Aerospace 303 on my tires. I also use it on my awning, all the roof structures, the FILON siding, decals and even the tail lights (plastic) and all the clearance lights. It's also my "go to" for all the plastic and rubber on my cars and truck, the boat, my motorcycle, my ATV's and UTV's as well as my tractor. One might think I like and trust Aerospace 303. That "one" would certainly be correct.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #32
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryflew View Post
Lionshead sells most of the tires and wheels to the mfg. So even if it is a Lippert axle etc it still isn't their tire and wheel. They only sell to rv mfg. One of their distribution centers is in town and covers about 6 square blocks.

Doesn't absolve Keystone. By Law it is the responsibility of the manufacturer (Keystone) to select appropriate parts - Tires & wheels - And to identify the inflation needed in those tires that allows 110% of GAWR if they affix the RVIA certification sticker.
I would really challenge Keystone on Bait and switch if they simply removed the RVIA sticker as it would be reasonable to claim you considered that sticker as proof the RV met some minimum safety & quality standards.
How can they justify AFTER THE FACT that the RV did not provide the safety features as advertised? You can go and look at the EVIS requirements and decide if they have some meaning or not.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:47 PM   #33
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I use Aerospace 303 on my tires. I also use it on my awning, all the roof structures, the FILON siding, decals and even the tail lights (plastic) and all the clearance lights. It's also my "go to" for all the plastic and rubber on my cars and truck, the boat, my motorcycle, my ATV's and UTV's as well as my tractor. One might think I like and trust Aerospace 303. That "one" would certainly be correct.
I also use Aerospace 303, from yours and others recommendation. I just applied it to my brand new Goodyear Endurance tires!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3B7CF58D-91AB-4752-8F5B-8C8138DAFDA5.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	21339  
Old 04-11-2019, 09:32 PM   #34
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Doesn't absolve Keystone. By Law it is the responsibility of the manufacturer (Keystone) to select appropriate parts - Tires & wheels - And to identify the inflation needed in those tires that allows 110% of GAWR if they affix the RVIA certification sticker.
I would really challenge Keystone on Bait and switch if they simply removed the RVIA sticker as it would be reasonable to claim you considered that sticker as proof the RV met some minimum safety & quality standards.
How can they justify AFTER THE FACT that the RV did not provide the safety features as advertised? You can go and look at the EVIS requirements and decide if they have some meaning or not.
I am curious..and probably not an expert. Is there a "law" requiring tires to have 110% capacity over gawr on an rv or is that just an rvia stipulation - and if they affix the sticker did they legally commit an offense...or just a violation of the rvia standards? By the wording of the post I am assuming that it is a violation of "law", I assume federal, to affix an rvia sticker but not then meet, in some form, those standards? I would be interested to see, read, those particular federal guidelines. Not implying that they aren't there, just didn't know that rvia standards were federal law. Not arguing or anything else; just interested in the background for all of our edification. Thanks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #35
CWtheMan

“As a condition of membership in the RV Industry Association, every RV and Park Model RV produced by a member manufacturer must display the Association’s seal. This seal communicates the manufacturers’ certification that it complies with the RV standards adopted by the Association. Further, it represents the manufacturers’ pledge to meet the Association’s membership conditions, which include being subject to regular, periodic compliance audits by RVIA standards inspectors, who monitor and provide education on thousands of requirements impacting electrical, plumbing, heating, fire & life safety systems and construction.”

“RV dealers and RV consumers look for the RV Industry Association seal on their units, as a visible indication of the manufacturers’ commitment to the industry. Moreover, most public and private campgrounds in the United States require that RVs and Park Model RVs have an affixed standard seal to obtain entry.”

The above quotes are from a RVIA membership document. IMO a RVIA recommendation – safety or otherwise – is just that and only binding for members to maintain their membership in the organization.

On the other hand, vehicle certification is binding on the vehicle manufacturers and noncompliance can result in NHTSA recall action and severe penalties, including monitory.

The standards for Original Equipment tire requirements for RV trailer axles have not changed. The 110% RVIA recommendation is being met by all of its members. But one must remember; it’s a voluntary action based on a recommendation that has no official vehicle governing body recognition.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #36
travelin texans

[QUOTE=CWtheMan;335135 Moreover, most public and private campgrounds in the United States require that RVs and Park Model RVs have an affixed standard seal to obtain entry.”[/QUOTE]

In 40+ years of rving have I EVER had any campground, park or resort ask to see the RVIA certification of any if my rvs before they would let me in!
Plus the last person I'd ask permission from to upgrade tires on MY rv would be the dealer or manufacturer, I'd guess they'd look at me like I had 2 heads while scratching theirs.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
In 40+ years of rving have I EVER had any campground, park or resort ask to see the RVIA certification of any if my rvs before they would let me in!
Plus the last person I'd ask permission from to upgrade tires on MY rv would be the dealer or manufacturer, I'd guess they'd look at me like I had 2 heads while scratching theirs.
Not to "pile on" but I guess I am, also remember that the RVIA "recommendation/suggestion" (which ever we want to call it) for 110% capacity on trailer tires only came about last year. Prior to that, it was a "rodeo complete with bulls and their byproducts" as to whether the OEM tires had to be at 100% of the axle rating or if the axle could be "de-rated" to match the cheaper tire capacity and as long as they "sort of matched" then it's up to the purchaser to figure out how much he could carry before his "may-pop" tires become "will-pop tires"......

It's "better now" but for those of us with pre 2019 models, well, we're still "in the rodeo".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-12-2019, 11:05 AM   #38
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Plus the last person I'd ask permission from to upgrade tires on MY rv would be the dealer or manufacturer, I'd guess they'd look at me like I had 2 heads while scratching theirs. Maybe that's because it's a standard procedure in the automotive industry that you did not know existed. It's not standard with RV trailer tires and retailers. That's why there is a notation in all RV trailer owner manuals to check with the vehicle manufacturer for replacement tires that do not match the OEM tires on the certification label. The dealer is bound by federal regulations to sell the vehicle with tires that match the tire size designation found on the trailer's federal certification label.
"CWtheMan;335135 Moreover, most public and private campgrounds in the United States require that RVs and Park Model RVs have an affixed standard seal to obtain entry."

I don't know where you got that quote. I NEVER SAID IT!
Old 04-12-2019, 11:16 AM   #39
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
"CWtheMan;335135 Moreover, most public and private campgrounds in the United States require that RVs and Park Model RVs have an affixed standard seal to obtain entry."

Cal,

Second paragraph, second sentence of your post # 35.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #40
travelin texans

Quote:

That was directly quoted from YOUR post #35 above, maybe you "NEVER SAID IT!", but YOU posted it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires