Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
jdixon980

Camping At NASCAR Races

For those that camp at NASCAR races. Are you operating your camper off of generator or just battery? Using just one battery or multiple batteries? Looking for some pointers. We usually camp in campgrounds with full hookups, so I am lost at so called boondocking. Heading to Martinsville this weekend for race. Always see all the campers of course, just wondering what all is involved in case I would like to try this in the future.
jdixon980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
Logan X

I would use a generator or solar to at least keep the batteries charged. With a 2000 watt inverter generator, you can run everything except the AC. If you want to use an AC, you need at least 3000 watts. Make sure to use an inverter style generator made for RVing. An open frame construction generator is too loud for camping and you will annoy all of your neighbors.

If your running just off of batteries, make sure you don’t deplete the batteries more than 60 or 70% of their capacity or you will damage them.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #3
rohish

I go to two or three races a year & stay 2 to 4 nights depending on the track and race schedule. When dry camping at the track, almost everyone will have a generator. I have 2 Honda 2000 inverters that I use. I have an outdoor kitchen that has a 110V fridge so I have at least one running all the time. Both will be running if I have the AC on. You do have to be aware of the limited Watts available, like starting the coffee pot, microwave, & AC will not work on my setup. They all will work, just not at the same time. Use gas for your hot water and heat. I also have the extended run gas tank for my set up. I can run for 4 days off the 6 gallon tank in the fall or a little over 24 hours in the hot summer in the direct sun. This set up is very popular at the track. You will see $200K rigs that have an internal generator using this setup. Inverter generators are quiet and efficient. Great for boondocking, I can set mine up 10 feet away from my trailer and its no louder than the AC running on the roof of the RV.

Its hard to say how quiet it is when at the race track, because there are always construction style generators there. Most campgrounds will have quiet time at midnight & most of them will be shut off by then. Just don't expect a quiet time at the track because you have a quiet generator, more the likely your neighbor will not have one.
rohish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:35 PM   #4
Spinkboy

Most races I use shore power provided by 3rd party camp grounds (mind you I only go to Talladega). I didn't camp rough one time and I have a Predator quiet 3500 and I keep it on my rear rack with no issues for sound.
Spinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
KeithInUpstateNY

I spent a week at New Hampshire (Monday to Monday) for the fall 2009 race. I don't know about other tracks, but they pack you in pretty tight there: just enough room for your trailer with the awning open and your vehicle. They fill the lots row by row so you have immediate neighbors (both sides and behind you) from the time you arrive. If you can stay until Monday you will spend a LOT less time getting out.

I also have a Honda EU2000i generator and ran it a few hours a day to keep the batteries (plural) topped off. You can literally stand beside it and speak at a normal volume. As others have said you will need two 2000 watt generators run in parallel or a larger generator if you want to run your AC. I now also have an iGen2200 watt Westinghouse inverter generator that is rated for 20 amps instead of 15. It will run the 13500 BTU AC as long as nothing else is running. It's a little louder than the Honda but not much and list price is about 2/3s the cost of the Honda. You can find a load test on the Generator Review YouTube channel here: https://youtu.be/a9H-6kpyBPY

You will need to watch your tank levels. You will not be getting your trailer out to dump your tanks until you leave. At New Hampshire I found a gas station across the street that had free water. I filled my six gallon water cans to keep my fresh water tank topped off since I was there for the whole week and had company for the race weekend. I did drain my gray water tank into five gallon buckets before my guests arrived and dumped them appropriately (it took several trips).

And as others have also said don't expect quiet hours to be strictly enforced like they are at the better campgrounds. Ear plugs or at least some kind of white noise in your trailer is a good idea if you are a light sleeper.

All that said, it was a great time and I hope to do it again now that I'm retired.

If you have any other specific questions let us know.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:47 PM   #6
B-O-B'03

I have camped many times at the Texas Motor Speedway, most generators around us were the open frame contractor style and very loud.

My friend, that I camped with, has a 40 foot diesel pusher coach with an inboard diesel generator, once inside the coach the loud generators outside were harder to hear, but still there.

There was no "quiet" time in the campground we frequented, one year one of the local "gentlemen's" club setup a stage, not far from where we were camped, it was much louder than the generators and went on til the wee hours.

-Brian
Old 03-20-2019, 12:40 AM   #7
notanlines

We are 14 year Talladega Fall Race veterans. We always stayed in a hotel for four nights in Birmingham with customers, but over the years have visited many friends in the surrounding campsites. The major campsites will offer a water truck and turd-truck services the entire time. I might also add that most campsites will have many porta-johns that local companies will deliver to your site for a fee. You put your lock on the door and you're set to go. The previous posters are very, very accurate in their descriptions of life at the track. Have an open mind, plenty of ice, and again, don't leave until Monday morning.
This is from the parade in La Belle, Florida.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.png
Views:	118
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	20938  
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:09 AM   #8
ADQ K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
We are 14 year Talladega Fall Race veterans. We always stayed in a hotel for four nights in Birmingham with customers, but over the years have visited many friends in the surrounding campsites. The major campsites will offer a water truck and turd-truck services the entire time. I might also add that most campsites will have many porta-johns that local companies will deliver to your site for a fee. You put your lock on the door and you're set to go. The previous posters are very, very accurate in their descriptions of life at the track. Have an open mind, plenty of ice, and again, don't leave until Monday morning.
This is from the parade in La Belle, Florida.
I've seen some pretty creative advertising on pumper trucks but this one
Most I have seen have a good catch phrase like "A straight flush beats a full house" "this truck contains political campaign promises"
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:35 PM   #9
gearhead

If you're headed to the Martinsville race, you're already there. Let us know how it went.
If you like short tracks you will likely enjoy Richmond as well. We are packing now for it. We lucked into a site in North Laburnam with water and 30 amp electricity a few years ago. I would get on the waiting list for it if interested. Not much more $ than a dry site.
But yeah, 2 Honda 2000's with a Berg extended run tank works well. I just changed oil in my Hondas and taking them with us for camping elsewhere before and after the race. You can get 2 Champion inverter gens for the price of 1 Honda...might be worth looking into. Just be sure you can get an extended run tank for whatever before you buy.
edit add: if you are interested in the Indy track there is a campground on Georgetown Ave., Lot 4A Premium just north of the track, that runs large industrial gens with long extensions to plug into. Really not as bad as it sounds, (no pun intended). If you haven't been to the Indy 500 it's sorta a Midwest Mardi Gras.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote