Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2018, 07:57 AM   #21
John&Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinton4616 View Post
Been raining all week along the Texas coast, going to be fun getting it out of the back yard anytime soon. Hope to be able to take it out in October, heading up to Fredericksburg, TX for a couple of days. If we can get another trip in after Thanksgiving, will hold off winterizing until then.

Question: how tall is your rig when hitched up? Do you have the second AC and are you concerned with height?
We live in Washington State so unfortunately our camping season is a bit shorter. When the DW retires, we plan on heading south for a couple months so that we can enjoy camping a bit more.

I’ve never measured the height, but I know it’s listed as 13’ 2”. Lets just say we both are looking for the height signs when we come up to a overpass Next time I have the rig hooked up I’ll get out the laser measuring device and see what it is down to the ground and then add the AC cowling height.

We have both AC’s, one in the living room and the other in the bedroom. To be honest, I can’t imagine trying to cool this rig without both AC’s, especially in Texas. The one nice thing about the 320/321 is all the lovely windows. And with that, all the light they can let in to heat things up On the hotter days, we usually have to turn on the AC units early and pull the shades down as the sun moves around the rig. There is a thead on the forum called Amazing A/C Airflow Improvements where we made some mods like taping the ducts so that air doesn’t escape into the ceiling space and enlarging the vents. Only after doing those things could we keep the rig at a reasonable temp. It seems like across the board, no matter which rig you buy, they suffer with poor A/C ducting.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #22
GlennB724

Congrats on your new 5er. I've got a '17 Keystone Alpine 3401RS. Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst. Put together a good complete tool kit, and a bunch of small parts in a wide variety of sizes, (screws, nuts and bolts, washers, etc.) I hope you're luckier than me, but you'll likely find all KINDS of stuff will break, fall apart, etc. etc. Usually something you NEVER would have guessed. Try to keep a good sense of humor and be flexible. HAPPY SAFE TRAVELS!
GlennB724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:48 AM   #23
Sinton4616

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
To be honest, I can’t imagine trying to cool this rig without both AC’s, especially in Texas.

There is a thead on the forum called Amazing A/C Airflow Improvements where we made some mods like taping the ducts so that air doesn’t escape into the ceiling space and enlarging the vents.
Thank you. I plan on measuring when next time I get the chance to take her out.

For the air flow, will check this weekend. When we did our PDI, it was cold in the FW when it was 92 outside. Much nicer than when we had a single AC on a 32FT TT. But as you pointed out, Texas is hot. Better to check and make sure we stay comfortable than find out in the heat of next summer.

Sinton4616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #24
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
I’ve never measured the height, but I know it’s listed as 13’ 2”. Lets just say we both are looking for the height signs when we come up to a overpass
Not sure about other states, but inTexas you won't normally see overpass heights posted unless it's less than 13'6".
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:50 AM   #25
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Not sure about other states, but inTexas you won't normally see overpass heights posted unless it's less than 13'6".
Not true since they raised the height limit to 14 feet.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:11 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

If it's not marked, I'd wonder if it's included in the contract to remark them next fiscal year, but they went ahead and cleaned up all the old markings to make things go faster....

If it is marked, I'd wonder if the measurement was before or after the recent 4" of asphalt was added to overlay the cracked concrete......

I'm sure (at least I hope) that it's not quite that critical, but ......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #27
TomD1

Great looking setup, have fun!!!
Old 09-17-2018, 02:18 PM   #28
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If it's not marked, I'd wonder if it's included in the contract to remark them next fiscal year, but they went ahead and cleaned up all the old markings to make things go faster....

If it is marked, I'd wonder if the measurement was before or after the recent 4" of asphalt was added to overlay the cracked concrete......

I'm sure (at least I hope) that it's not quite that critical, but ......
I can vouch for one overpass on US 77.. it says 13' 8" and I was in the 13' 6" truck that scraped.. my trailer is 13' 8" because the front A/C is not a low profile... I detour around it..

My personal limit is 14'
Old 09-17-2018, 06:58 PM   #29
Barseven

Congrats! We also have a 321RS. Got it this past spring and love it. Biggest issue we’ve had so far was the A/C vent airflow restriction but we found great info on here on blocking off the Dead space in the air ducts. Worked great! We also changed out the vent covers as they were too restrictive and didn’t allow enough airflow. We got replacements off Amazon that open/close and are directional. The height of FW with the 2 A/C’s on the TV is 13’6. We went under a bridge just outside of Rockdale, TX with a marked height of 13’9 and cleared it. One blind in the LR kept falling so we called the Mfgr and they sent replacement metal brackets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1C32FD51-C3F4-4E55-9296-73B0AD51553B.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	18584  
Barseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:44 AM   #30
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barseven View Post
Congrats! We also have a 321RS. Got it this past spring and love it. Biggest issue we’ve had so far was the A/C vent airflow restriction but we found great info on here on blocking off the Dead space in the air ducts. Worked great! We also changed out the vent covers as they were too restrictive and didn’t allow enough airflow. We got replacements off Amazon that open/close and are directional. The height of FW with the 2 A/C’s on the TV is 13’6. We went under a bridge just outside of Rockdale, TX with a marked height of 13’9 and cleared it. One blind in the LR kept falling so we called the Mfgr and they sent replacement metal brackets.
Watch out for the one at Schulenburg on 77... It's marked 13' 8" but they've paved the road since then.. easy to detour around.. take loop 222
Old 09-18-2018, 06:31 AM   #31
5J's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Watch out for the one at Schulenburg on 77... It's marked 13' 8" but they've paved the road since then.. easy to detour around.. take loop 222
Yep. I travel through there practically on a weekly basis and when I'm behind a semi I back way off.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:41 AM   #32
Auggie Waterman

Awesome fun machine!
Auggie Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote